My Music video.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 5th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #1
Major Player

My Music video..

Hello all,

Just finished editing the music video I've made for a group called Glorious (www.gloriousofficial.com)

It was shot on a XL1S (PAL) edited with vegas and I cropped it in post. I'm pleased with some of the shots and less pleased with others. But I want to add that this video was shot with a very slim budget (less then $500) Some of the locations are in sopot - Poland and Tivoli in Denmark/Copenhagen...

I want comments before I hand it over to them..
So let it rip!

/Andreas

LINK ->

http://www.atamashi.com/Gloriousupinyourworld.wmv

(colors are quite off when you watch it on a monitor/It might be the codec) and yes, I'm going to look over the editing once more after you kill me with your comments..
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #2
Major Player

hey that's some great work! I was impressed with the quality of the shots. Looks great for DV. The content of the video was a little cheesy but I blame that on the song. Some of the locations got a bit repetitive but that's normal for a music video. Nice color, nice composition, nice edit. Looks good to me and I'm sure they'll be happy with it.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 03:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Come on all, more comments!

(Thanks Brad! how nice of you!)
Old August 6th, 2003, 03:20 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Andreas,

Wish I could help you out...but I can't see it. The audio comes across fine...but no video. Maybe others are having the same problem?

FYI - I downloaded it to disk and used the latest version of Window's Media for Mac. Ever consider using Quicktime?
Old August 6th, 2003, 04:18 AM   #5
Major Player

So, all you quicktime lovers...
The video in MOV ->

www.atamashi.com/Gloriousupinyorworld.mov

Keep the comments floin'

I need to get better at doing this, and by reciving comments from you are one part of doing better video..

/Andreas
Old August 6th, 2003, 05:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Good work in a technical matter. Colors, composition, editing.

The music and kind of musicvideo are not my cup of tea (stereotype Eurovision Contest-music). I always think that, even with a small budget, try to make a video more original, so that it's being remembered afterwards. To my opinion Dieter Meier of the Swiss group Yello said it right a couple of years ago: "... with Yello we do not try to sound like American popmusic, Americans can do that much better." Which was the reason why their music was special and original (for a long time).
Peter Sieben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #7
Major Player

I think you did a good job.

The silhouette shots came out lovely, and you picked some nice frames. I when they are under the dock. Especially when he is swinging out of focus. I also liked the rollercoaster shot, but the cut at the end of the shot is flawed a bit. It seems to stop on an unmotivated freeze frame.

Going forward though:

If a shot is too dark, think about using a different shot. I.E: one shot in the hallway when they knock on the door. Unless it is motivated, it just looks like a bad shot was stuck in there, and it didnt advance the story.

Don't be afraid to let the artist go out of frame during action sequences, if gives the video energy, and chances are you won't cut be on them for the whole take. Let them move around if they feel it.

To establish a connection to the artist, it would be nice if we saw more closeups of the artists. You have practically none of the girls. THe only extreme CU you have is of the balding blonde guy eating cotton candy. When an artist walks toward the camera, that's
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Being a fan of girls myself, I would have liked to see more close-ups of them as well. The scene where the guy wins a prize and chooses the brunette hottie, for example, could have used a tight shot of her expression before moving on to the next scene.

Also, I prefer choreography to be a little messy, so that it looks like the dancers are just sort of making it up as they go along. I don't mean tripping over their own feet or dancing out of synch with the music, but moving with some sort of passion or energy. A lot of the dance moves seemed stiff and rehearsed, like they were trying to keep themselves in frame.
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #9
Capt. Quirk

I actually thought the choreography came out nice for an amateur video. The shots, color, and overall story were also pretty nice actually. Good work.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #10
Major Player

OK, I really respect all of the opinions and in some way I agree on most of the comments. But I still want to remind people that there was a very slim budget, I was responsible for everything (and that was very time consuming and hard) I'm not super pleased with it, but I don't think its bad either.

It was my first project like this, and I did learn alot from it.

Anyways, Thanks for the comments and I'll have them in my mind for the next project!

/Andreas
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #11
Trustee

Is that Abba?

J/k. Good job. Fun locations and good framing.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Andreas, after I got over my scary ABBA nightmare flashback I liked it. (I am old enough to remember them from the 70s)

They also reminded me of a traveling singing group from the 70s called 'Up with People'.

You should definitely submit this to Disney or Nickleodeon. It fits right in with their formats (good looking, young, upbeat and squeeky clean). Assuming the group is going after the teen market.

Congrats.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #13
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Bravo, Andreas!

Very nicely done...there aren't many who can produce something this "slick" on their first outing, and doing all the work themselves.

I realize you're probably wanting detailed critical feedback above and beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it." The only critical statement I can come up with concerns one of the closeup shots against the bright, blue sky. It's the man with the short-cropped dark hair. He needed a bit of fill light...or a bit more fill light...since he's a bit too dark.

Otherwise, it's technically well done. Nice pace, editing, composition, etc.

I particularly liked the shots under the pier. How many locations in all did you use? In fact, how long did it take you to shoot? What camera did you use? What kind of lighting setup did you use, and in which scenes?

Details, please.
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:15 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Was that Benny Andersson behind the counter at the 'teddy bear' booth?

Kind of corny for me, and we still throw ABBA gold in the CD player at parties.

You nailed the music styling with the visuals. It has a nice look and feel to it and certainly won't confuse anyone. Reminded me of Monkee's/Partridge Family TV era.

Is the band more characterized by the male singers? I definitely got the sense that they were the 'leads' and the girls seemed to be more background singers. The audio reinforced this. Maybe its just this track. If they all share equal performance roles, the girls should have dominated the video. The unfortunate (maybe fortunate) side effect of having girls in a band is that they absorb much of the visual attention. (Just ask Benny).

Definitely submit to Disney.

Just my opinion.

T
Tom Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:42 AM   #15
Wrangler

Nice, nice job! It's unbelievable to me that anyone could spend so much time on the shoot/edit and produce such a great-looking music video for under $500. I hope other artists don't find out :)

Are you finished editing or planning to throw it back into Vegas for tweaks? I totally agree with all the compliments you've received, but also the comment about the freeze frame on the roller coaster segment. And is the video slightly out of sync at 1:55 or is it me?

Just out of curiosity, and forgive my ignorance, but, is this style at all common in Europe? And what's the story on the two-fingers "signing" I saw several times?

I have to say, that as one who is sick and tired of seeing hiphop on VH1 as the music video standard, your video was a breath of fresh air. Admittedly, the "reach for the sky" segment buried the needle on my cheese meter, but if that's the artists' take on it, then that's their business.

Bottom line--you're one talented guy!
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work