DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Intriguing trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/133719-intriguing-trailer.html)

Daniel Pace September 20th, 2008 07:02 AM

Intriguing trailer

This is the trailer for the film "the appearance of a man" to premiere in the San Diego Film Festival Spetmeber 25th. We shot it using a bunch of different formats.
Trailer: YouTube - The Appearance of a Man - Film Trailer
Film Fest: San Diego Film Festival 2008 : Films

Dennis Murphy September 20th, 2008 03:49 PM

I was really impressed with that trailer. It had a very 'pro' feel to it.
I'd be interested to know what cameras, formats etc that were used to shoot that?

Cheers,
Dennis.

Daniel Pace September 20th, 2008 10:34 PM

Hi Dennis,

We wanted to shoot HDV but after many experiments we decided to shoot all the low light scenes and scenes with a lot of movement with a pd150 and a pd170 with anamorphic lenses and in PAL, which gave us more resolution per frame and virtually no compression artifacts. For the day scenes, depending on the situation, we used a Sony z1, a Cannon HDV30 (for situations were we wanted to be unnoticed, like shots we did in Jerusalem and in Mexico) and we also used an HVX200 for green screen shots we used in compositions.

Another important aspect was that we built a very portable and lightweight set of tools, such as dollies, cranes and a steadicam, that we were able to use practially anywhere with minimum setup (the dolly fits in a suitcase) so we could get cinematic shots practically anywhere with a crew of 2.

Then we took all the footage in and we used a somewhat elaborate process to uprezz (we used 4 pcs and several steps to get the right look) everything to 1920x1080 and edit in that format using the Cineform codec.

All the effects were done in After Effects in 1920x1080 uncompressed with a final render to Cineform.

Finally, for a consistent look we used Magic Bullet Colorista. In the final result you can't really tell what came from what camera, which was a concern we had. The look is very consistent and while is not the "red" it has its own look. We're vey happy with the result.

Daniel

Dennis Murphy September 20th, 2008 11:53 PM

I've only seen the trailer, but you uprezzed DV to 1920?
I didn't realise you'd be able to get a good result with that. I'd be interested in that process.

Desi Hernandez Jr. September 21st, 2008 10:11 AM

Very well done. I'm interested in watching this film at some point. Best of luck in the circuits

Daniel Alexander September 21st, 2008 01:10 PM

I want to watch this film, really liked your trailer, it had me genuinly interested. Well done!

Daniel Pace September 22nd, 2008 07:02 AM

I'm glad you like it. The US premiere is September 25th and the San Diego Film Festival (San Diego Film Festival 2008 : Films) and after that is going to play in other festivals (Florida in October). It may also be in an Online Competiion so you'll may be able to see it there. I'll keep you posted.

Desi Hernandez Jr. September 22nd, 2008 06:45 PM

where in Florida will this be screened?

Nick Stone September 22nd, 2008 07:56 PM

Hi Daniel Pace,
Loved the look of the trailer.
What NLE did you use? and how was it using the anamorphic on the pd170? One last question did you use the Z1, in HD or SD mode?

Nick

Daniel Pace September 23rd, 2008 11:06 AM

Hi Nick, We used Premiere Pro 2 for the NLE, Blender and Carrara for 3d work, After Effects for compositions.
Only on the pd150 we used an anamorphic lens to get full chip 16:9, with the Z1 and HV30 we shot HDV (PAL). With the HVX we shot 720p.

I still owe you guys the Upconvert to HD from SD (pd150/70/HVX) we did, but since it takes several steps I'll write all the details shortly.

Daniel Pace September 23rd, 2008 11:11 AM

>> where in Florida will this be screened?

It'll play in Orlando in October but I don't have definite dates and times yet. I'll post them once I have that info.

Daniel Pace October 3rd, 2008 08:31 AM

I hate to brag since is not my style, but I was blown away by being awarded the Heineken Red Star Award ( Heineken & Film: Green Room ) and my lead actor, Michael Tassoni, got the Best Actor Award ( San Diego Film Festival ). It feels good but I must say that all the films at the festival deserved awards.

Todd Giglio October 3rd, 2008 08:53 AM

Daniel,

Excellent trailer! I'll definitely watch this film when it's out (and congrats on the awards!).

Todd