Upbeat Wedding Highlight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Upbeat Wedding Highlight

This was my first attempt at a more uptempo highlight. I lowered the undersample rate in Vegas to give it a stuttery effect which seemed to work with the music but after watching it alot I'm not sure. I know the window frame overly is hokey but was just looking for something to add variation. This was one of the nicest venues I've shot in. Pyrotechnics and fake snow made for some very cool shots. Any feedback appreciated.

Art

Jessica and Salvatore Highlights on Vimeo

art@vargaproductions.com
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice job on the video. What's the music? It really enhanced the video.

Thanks.
Michael
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Major Player

shots look great.
one thing, though.
since the beat of your music is very distinctive, I would cut it very sharp with the beat.
for example, in the beginning when 'one,two,three,four...' your cuts look like they are being dragged by the beats instead 'on' the beats.
Other than that, I though you did great capturing all the great moments throughout the wedding!
Keep up the good work!

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Major Player

The song was "Forever" and was chosen by the couple. Yeah I agree with you on the beat cut. Generally I try NOT to cut on every beat. In this case it would have worked better on those strong beats.

Thanks- Art
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:38 PM   #5
Trustee

Great vid.

I agree about the cuts -- more on the beat.

It seemed weird to me that we saw the reception first, then the getting ready, then the ceremony -- but I'm not a wedding guy, maybe that's how it's done.

The bride was super hot, and the key to any wedding demo reel is a hot bride. Well done.

Zooms, pans, and tilts aren't natural to the eye -- use them sparingly. There were several I saw that disconnected me from the reality. Dolly moves (which were overall effective in this piece) are much more natural to the eye, and were mostly well executed.

There were several places where you crossed the axis... Aye! Pick one side of the nose and stay on it.

There was one window-pane style effect where you cut the image up into squares... and the dividing lines were different sizes. Yeech!

Great song. Overall, good job!
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Major Player

[QUOTE=It seemed weird to me that we saw the reception first, then the getting ready, then the ceremony -- but I'm not a wedding guy, maybe that's how it's done.
[/QUOTE]

I've seen other's work where they do this kind of time shifting and I really like the effect. Thats what I was going for but not sure it worked. In particular, I think the groom prep stuff was out of place. Can you explain what you mean by not crossing the axis? Thanks for the feedback.

Art
Old November 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

nice videos. What gear?
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Great job!

It's a short highlights video so I don't see it as a big deal to go out of chronological order. In fact it may be fitting.
Really liked the quick ring shots.

Didn't notice many shots that crossed the axis inappropriately (180 degree rule?). Everything cut was pretty quick so there wasn't much of a chance for it to be disturbing to me personally. I dunno, maybe I should watch it again.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback guys - most of the footage was from my XH-A1. I use an HV20 as a b-cam mostly for closeups - rings, candles, etc.

Art
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Great job! It's hard for me to tear away from doing the highlights in chronological order, but this worked! You never know what's coming on next, and that keeps it interesting.
David Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work