"JARED" my short film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Major Player

"JARED" my short film

Hi Guys,

This is the final project of my first semester of Cinematography class. To be honest I was pretty clueless about this project until about a week before I shot. My biggest problem was my lack of crew. I desperately needed a soundperson/boom op. In both scenes I rigged the shotgun in various workable places but it would've been so much better to have the sound on a pole monitored by someone.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about everything, the script, the shots, the actors, the lighting, the editing...the works. Although I know my audio doesn't match very well between scenes.

Anyway, I'm excited to hear what the professionals (and non professionals too) have to say about it.

thanks.

JARED on Vimeo
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey David, technically I think ur film is well produced - the lighting is very good, shots are nice, sound is good. Overall it was good, though Ill give you my thoughts on what I saw to be the weaknesses:

I thought the acting was so-so, mainly due to the script and direction rather than the actors abilities. The dialogue was too preachy and expositional. It's always better to show rather than tell, as such. Or even if you can't show (cus it may break the momentum of your scene), use more conversational dialogue to reveal things about the characters rather than just having them explain the situation in large paragraphs of dialogue - even a good actor would find it difficult to make that believable, becuase people dont communicate like that in real life. Similarly, its not great to have the "moral" or "message" of the film told so blatantly through dialogue. It should be made clear without having to spell it out to the audience. I also think to keep things interesting for such a lengthy dialogue scene you could maybe have found a few extra ways of shooting the dialogue - perhaps Jared could have sat up half way through, for example.

hope that helps
good work tho,

josef
Josef Heks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Josef,

Thank's for the comments.

In short, I agree with you. I can't say it's entirely not my fault because I supervised the script writing. However, during the pre-production phase I was fairly unimpressed by the writers ability to write believable natural dialogue and I hoped/believed that perhaps it was my lack of experience with writing that caused me to think that way, and that the actors would make it better.

Again, your observations are legitimate and I appreciate your insight.

thanks!
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Well i would have to say that the films was good i can understand what was going on! This is a guy who is sombering over his break up and is very sad so he drinks. Thats his way of handling it. He can't get over it so he calls her not realizing what he's doing ansd she gives him a reality slap in the face!

Now the acting coudl have been better and the script was nice but i think some of the shots could have been better some of them was nice though

Josef had a great review

Derrick Jones..........
Derrick A.Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work