View my 5min 72 hour 4K film challenge (Red camera) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

View my 5min 72 hour 4K film challenge (Red camera)

This past weekend I participated in a 72 hour 4K Film Challenge. The rules for the challenge were it had to be filmed in 4K (I have the RED digital cinema camera which allows me to do that). It had to be written, filmed, edited and posted in 72 hours. It could be no longer than 5 minutes (6 minutes including credits). I had to use one phrase and one prop from the list below. Genre, locations, story etc was all up to me (and my team).

Props:
1. An inflatable raft
2. A Toaster
3. A Laptop
4. A flashlight
5. A Red Scarf
Phrases:
1. "I take it Black"
2. "Everything in Life Changes"
3. "Gimme back my sweater"
4. "Don't put that there!"
5. "What is a DSMC?"

See if you can spot what we used!

Everyone who worked on the film was a volunteer. The team was assembled 2 days before the challenge. The music was an original score by a Berklee grad student who wrote it as we edited. (I'm in the Boston area). This was sponsored by Vuze.com.

You can watch it at the link below. If you like it, please vote for it. There's no money to win but my ego may expand if we win the popular vote. Everyone did excellent work in a limited time.

I think the camera looks great. What you are seeing is 720P down-converted from 4K. We cut this in FCP and color corrected in Color. Neither me nor the editor is well versed in CC so it definitely could have been better. In any case let me know what you think. All feedback is accepted!

Vuze HD Network - 4KChallenge-Damage Control-SSherrick - Steve Sherrick

Also you can see a behind the scenes video the PA shot here:
Damage Control BTS on Vimeo

We need your votes. We are in 4th place by just a hair!
Ken Willinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

beautiful!. very well shot my man.
Kurt Zhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Zhuang View Post
beautiful!. very well shot my man.
Thanks so much for the taking the time to watch and for the feedback. We just spent 10 hours doing a color correction for the RED carpet viewing of all the entries in LA coming up on the 31st. Unfortunately being in Boston I won't be able to go but it sure would be cool to see it on a 50 foot screen!

There isn't a winner yet though. We're in 4th place currently so need more votes! We'd love others out there to watch it and give us a thumbs up! Thanks again.
Ken Willinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Just an update...the challenge is over. In the online popular vote we came in 3rd place. In the judging we placed at 5th...and we didn't even know there was a 5th place category (the top 5 films won prizes). The next 72 hour 4K challenge will be a music video.
Ken Willinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work