A Trick of the Light Final Cut-- at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 7th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Trick of the Light Final Cut--

The XL1s did a great job--

http://www.happycritter.com/Downloads/totl.wmv

Any comments, criticism welcome. It's 90mb/25 minutes. Windows media player 9 series only, at this time.
Brandt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

i dunno why but i have no video
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 08:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Download the latest version of windows media player, 9 series--that oughta do it.
Old September 7th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

im on os x, but ok
Alan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ah, that's the problem. Sorry--don't think you can view it on a mac--

I think they are supposed to release a mac codec to read the files--but it's not out yet.
Old September 8th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Great actors and smart location compared with the story. And a nice story development. It looks professional, like a theatre play filmed at location. Great continuity in the dialog and movements around the room.

I remembered seeing a part of this movie before, a preview was it? The thing that came back to me was that the girl looks better without make-up. But that's personal...

The thing with internet-movies is that I'm not sure if most viewers want to spend 25 minutes, despite of the quality of a movie. I think we look different to internetmedia compared to movies on tv or in cinema.

Peter
Old September 8th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments, Peter.

The intended distribution isn't the internet--I just thought it would be nice to get some feedback from some "objective" opinions, since all of my friends/family have seen it. They tend to tell you what you want to hear--whereas on the internet, people are brutally honest, as it should be :)

Actually, there really is no intended distribution--I'm just going to send it to film festivals, to see if I can get some exposure.

Glad you think it looked "professional" :) More than anything else though--I hoped you liked the story.
Old September 8th, 2003, 03:28 PM   #8
Major Player

I did.
Old September 8th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

It looks good - dramatic lighting, smooth camera moves, hot girl in panties - but all that dialogue seems more appropriate to a stage play than a movie (the characters don't DO anything, they SAY everything).
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yup--I'd agree with you on that--but it was my first project, and I wanted to stay in one location, with just two actors, etc.--didn't have the budget for anything else.

I would say though, that they "DO" certain things that characterize themselves--when she straddles him, when he gets desperate, thinking she has run-off--their general attitude at the end, in the face of certain death, etc.

It was rough-going--twenty five minutes in one room--I just hope people can keep interest for that long, in the same setting, etc.
Old September 9th, 2003, 03:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Brandt,

I thought it was great, I was hooked from the start to the end. It looked great, the actors and story were good, for me it was 25 minutes well spent.

Well done :)

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi, this is my first post, but I just wanted to say that I thought "A Trick Of The Light" was extremely well done. Even though the entire movie took place in one room, it kept my interest the entire way through. The lighting and the acting were the first two things I noticed. Both were excellent, and the actors really made it work. The dialogue was written and performed very well. I really enjoyed this and thought it was a very professional video. Keep up the good work, and let us know about your next project. Good luck!
Chris Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Watched it this morning and really enjoyed it. Very well done, great actors, felt like it was on location, dug the story. Beautifully lit. Sure appreciate you sharing that with us! Congrats on a very fine job there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 06:42 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks guys-- made my day. You can imagine the nervousness of showing a film to people for the first time, one you've worked so hard on--and that it was an enjoyable experience watching it.
Old September 10th, 2003, 01:21 AM   #15
Major Player

Amazing lighting especially.
How exactly did you do it? What lighting setups did you have and what lenses did you use with the XL1s? Great job, looks real nice.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work