DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Check out my music video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/14374-check-out-my-music-video.html)

Mike Meyerson September 10th, 2003 04:11 PM

Check out my music video

ON IFILM...

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2474316

shot with a canon xl-1

let me know what you think

Charles King September 10th, 2003 04:42 PM

Great job Mike. What procedure did you use to get the look? Love the lighting effects.

Mike Meyerson September 10th, 2003 07:14 PM

There's no effects what so ever. It's all just lighting. It was all shot in a studio and we had a really great DP.

Alex Knappenberger September 10th, 2003 07:24 PM

Good stuff, I liked it. The lighting was great.

I wish the song was recorded/mixed better though.

Mike Meyerson September 10th, 2003 08:50 PM

The audio quality comes down a bit when it was encoded for the web. It sounds much better on the master tape.

oh well...glad you liked it though.

Alex Knappenberger September 10th, 2003 09:13 PM

Yeah, I understand that, sorry if I offended you or anything...

The actual video was awesome though, great camera work, editing, lighting....etc, etc.

What did it take to build that set? I am asking because I need to build a set for mainly my public access show, and maybe some for some other videos, and I don't really know what the best material would be to do it extra cheap, heh, i'm talking cardboard boxes here.

John Locke September 10th, 2003 09:37 PM

Nice work, Mike. Very well shot. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you come up with in the near future.

Imran Zaidi September 10th, 2003 10:05 PM

Great work! Unique set, lit well and in an intriguing fashion, and great pacing with the editing. Oh, and your model looked like Pat Benatar (not that that has anything to do with anything).

Mark Monciardini September 11th, 2003 12:57 AM

Hey cool set. Not easy to do a whole video in the same room. The XL1s is a great camera, it looks like it worked out great in the video.

I guess the only criticism I would comment is I think the strobe light part went on a little long, kinda took me back to the 80's. I like how you got mostly parts of the singer, since he is the most important to the fan.

Again, cool set. I also like the window idea and the women singing the chorus on the song.

thanks for sharing!

Mike Meyerson September 11th, 2003 08:04 AM

RE: Alex...

NO you didn't offend me. (it's not my band anyway) If I was that easily offended, i'd be in a different business.

As for the set, we had flats (pre-fabbed set walls, most studios have them), so the only hard part was dressing the walls to give it that "look". That's why we hired a set designer :). It took about a day to built and prep. We only had one room. For the girls shots, we just reversed the set. We used red because DV picks up red very well.

RE: Mark...

The strobe part was kind of taylored to the music. This is another part that kind of lost some affectiveness on the web. I think with the frame rate used, some of the strobes are lost. There's more black spaces. I agree that it's alittle 80's...but it sure was fun the edit. (and I grew up in the 80's)

John Locke September 11th, 2003 08:18 AM

Just to give a different opinion, I didn't think the strobe effect went on too long and really liked that part of the video...especially how it kicks in with the music.

Victor Panero September 13th, 2003 09:50 AM

Echoing others, the lighting was fresh and provocative (as well as the strobing), effective fog and diffusion. I have an xl1 that I've only used for docs up until now. Encouraging to see how it handled your setups.

"There's no effects what so ever. It's all just lighting." MM

Most of the "fx" where done in camera (w/lighting)!?

To me that just emphasizes the attention DV creatives need to give to proper lighting--I being one of them who only recently has begun to study and enjoy the Photon Mgmt. forum.

Mike Meyerson September 13th, 2003 12:45 PM

Thanks, but I can't really take credit for the lighting (I produced and edited).

We shot on frame mode with the shutter speed at 60.

Thanks for all the feedback.

MIKE

Peter Richardson October 2nd, 2003 05:05 PM

Hey Mike--The video looks great. I could really use a producer like you out here in Oregon--gearing up to shoot my first music video here in a couple weeks. To that end, how did you achieve sync in post? I'm shooting with a DVX100 and will either be editing on FCP or Avid Xpress Pro. What exactly is the process for syncing up, besides having some form of playback on set? Thanks and, again, nice work!

Peter

Mike Meyerson October 2nd, 2003 05:25 PM

Peter...

Thanks. If I was anywhere near oregon, I'd love to help ya.
As far as sync, if the band is pretty tight, it's not that hard. On set, have a LOUD stereo to playback on, have the band play along with the CD. When you edit, just make sure the drums are in sync and everything will fall into place. Just watch every clip for sync, you may need to tweak here and there.

I edited on Xpress DV, went pretty smooth.

also,
Check out my short...
http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2474315