DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Blue Water - a film about crossing oceans (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/144287-blue-water-film-about-crossing-oceans.html)

Richard Gooderick February 21st, 2009 01:19 PM

Blue Water - a film about crossing oceans

Here's a 50 minute documentary I recently completed.
If you get to watch it I hope that you enjoy it.
It's in two parts of 25 minutes each.
Any comments, negative or positive, are welcomed.
I have a thick skin and believe that the only way to improve is to learn from mistakes - if you have to!
Blue Water

Andy Pronobis February 22nd, 2009 09:42 AM

I really enjoyed it. The only thing I can critique on would be that I feel the journey was left unfinished. We know they made it... But we saw them leaving port, but not coming back in to bring an end to the crossing. Just my thoughts.

What was it like being on a boat that small for so long? I've cruised around on very large ships when I was in the Marines, and even that made me a bit stir crazy.

Did you take part in the daily operations? Or were you more of an observer just staying out of the way?

--Andy P

Richard Gooderick February 22nd, 2009 10:08 AM

Andy
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Did you watch right through to the end of the second part? I tried to bring the voyage to a conclusion by showing scenes from the islands and then the boat moves onwards again just before the credits which reflects the essence of voyaging ie always moving onward.
BTW I watched them go through the Miraflores Lock in Panama yesterday on a webcam. So they are now in the Pacific.
To be honest with you I did try to film Gillian and Graeme on the boat after we hit dry land but it wasn't successful. I think we were all a bit fed up with film making by then!
Oh, and of course we arrived in the dark so I couldn't film that.
There were three of us on the boat and we shared all the tasks and watches. The nights were split into 3 watches of 4 hours which we took individually and rotated so that every third night you got the 7 pm to 11pm shift and then got 8 hours in bed. It worked well.
It was the third time I had crossed the Atlantic, but the first two were 30 years ago so I jumped when I got the chance to join them.
It does take a long time to cross an ocean. Whether you enjoy it or not depends largely on your personality and attitude. I tried to get this across in the film.
Gillian really didn't enjoy it. She likes sailing, but not long distance. As we got near to land she was looking forward whilst I was looking backwards. I think that sums it up :-)

Bob Kerner February 22nd, 2009 10:20 AM

Well done and for a very worthy cause!

Richard Gooderick February 22nd, 2009 10:28 AM

Thank you Bob.

Andy Pronobis February 22nd, 2009 12:54 PM

I rewatched the end after reading your post, and I "get it now" =). The wife-ish is always driven nuts by me watching all the making of's and interviews on DVD's, but it really does change the way you view a film. This is another case of that.

--Andy

Chris Swanberg February 22nd, 2009 07:14 PM

Richard.... I am but part way through, and I can already fairly and easily say that this is a professional endeavor. I love the pacing and cuts of the people talking comfortably and easily and the way you have woven the sea in through all that. I feel like I could be sitting there talking with your interview subjects.

There are a lot of wanna-be's, pretenders and the like around in film, but then there are "filmmakers. YOU my friend are a FILMMAKER. TERRIFIC! Bravo.

Chris S.

ps. I'll post more when I finish watching both episodes.

pps. This film needs a 2nd home. Have you shopped it?

Richard Gooderick February 23rd, 2009 02:23 AM

Hi Chris

You've made me go red! But I really appreciate your words. It's taken a lot of time and money to make the film and getting positive feedback like this makes it all worthwhile.

I haven't done anything else with the film. I hope it may raise some money for charity.

very best

Richard