DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   X-ball Paintball... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/144971-x-ball-paintball.html)

Joe Busch March 3rd, 2009 12:06 AM

X-ball Paintball...

Song List
Breaking Benjamin - You Fight Me
TRUSTcompany - Running From Me

Length - 9:27

Standard Definition
720p High Definition

Was using an HDR-FX7 on a FSB-6/CF75 for the most part... few sections have an HDR-HC5 with a .3 Fisheye

All edited with Vegas 8 Pro...

First time using the tripod, had the camera + tripod wrapped up in garbage bags to protect them until I can sew together my neoprene cover...

Kyle Ross March 3rd, 2009 12:45 AM

Well, I watched it until it stopped buffering about 3 minutes in, but it was great while it was going! You did a good job with the framing and slow motion to make them look cool, especially when they did NOT look cool at all.

The DOF was pretty awesome too. All in all, it looked pretty professional. I watched it on standard def, and the quality was still great. One of the parts I think you handled best were the breakouts. I've never played, but I'm assuming that's at the start when they yell go and everyone rushes out? I think you captured that well.

Nate Haustein March 3rd, 2009 12:46 AM

Nice clean footage. Looks really good and makes we want to go out and play myself!

Would have liked to see a bit more variety in the shots, including more close-ups/extreme close-ups of faces/guns/ball explosions, etc. Good depth of field on some of the shots though - focused my attention on the person rather than the bunkers.

Shoot more!

Joe Busch March 3rd, 2009 12:53 AM

Heh, I do what I can... unfortunately with only 2 hours of footage I didn't have a whole lot to work with..

I have another video I'm working on that has about 30 hours of footage piled up for it and I'm only taking the best shots out of everything. It's been 1.5 years in the making but I haven't really worked on it... at all...

YouTube - LousyHeroes's Channel

You can watch the "HD" versions of the "Epic Previews" which would be the big "film" I was working on... not really any story... just montages of events. Something we can use to remember it by in a cool way...

Dylan Couper March 6th, 2009 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Busch (Post 1021288)
First time using the tripod, had the camera + tripod wrapped up in garbage bags to protect them until I can sew together my neoprene cover...

I've produced and shot two paintball videos. I made a cover using a closed cell foam sheet (a sleeping pad for camping) cut up and wrapped around the camera with space to run my hands up through the bottom, and extended to offer some extra protection. Under that, the camera wore a standard Kata rain cover. The closed cell foam was perfect. It probably took about 10 minutes to make and cost $10. Would offer much more protection than neoprene, just a thought.

Joe Busch March 6th, 2009 11:24 AM

It's pretty thick neoprene and paintballs tend to bounce off of it.

And the cameras are strong enough to take paintball hits, the main point is to keep paint out of the internals of the fluid-head + camera....

Sony already claimed $800+ to fix my FX7... when there was nothing broken (Except the microphone mount)

I ended up taking it apart myself, fixing it and gaff-taping it all back together...

Dylan Couper March 8th, 2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Busch (Post 1023386)
And the cameras are strong enough to take paintball hits, the main point is to keep paint out of the internals of the fluid-head + camera....

Yes, I'm familliar with the ability of paint to get in every nook and cranny... I've spent enough time with a q-tip on my Angel between games, sure wouldn't want to do it with a camera.

So I'm curious... did you find out the camera was strong enough to take a hit the hard way? I never took a direct hit to the camera. Was never worried about the body, just the externals (EVF/Mic)

Joe Busch March 8th, 2009 09:02 PM

Yea it's been fine... originally I just used a KATA cover for it, which did a really bad job at keeping paint out...

I think a majority of the damage was from lack of a proper case, I would wrap up the FX7 in a hoodie and throw it in a backpack, and that's how the microphone mount broke.

It's holding together now though, I'm gonna re-do the electrical tape with gaffers tape... :)

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/lolfx72.jpg

The ones that are harder to see would be the lens hood wrapped completely in electrical tape (which has been shot the most) and under lens...