DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   "The Perfect Sleep" opens theatrically next week (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/145064-perfect-sleep-opens-theatrically-next-week.html)

Charles Papert March 4th, 2009 12:32 AM

"The Perfect Sleep" opens theatrically next week

The day I've been waiting a LONG time for has finally arrived--"The Perfect Sleep", a film-noirish extravaganza that I shot is about to start its theatrical release.

We worked very hard on the visuals for this film and I believe that it shows. We shot principal photography on the F900 and it will be screened in anamorphic 35mm.

See the trailer at:

The Perfect Sleep

Opens 3/13 at the Laemmle Sunset 5, Los Angeles
Opens 3/20 at the Quad Cinema, NYC

Chicago, Dallas and Portland dates TBD

Bruce Foreman March 4th, 2009 01:00 AM

Is a DVD release planned? This looks like one I have to seen.

Lorinda Norton March 4th, 2009 01:38 AM

Congratulations, Charles. I hope there's a celebration in the works.

You'll post the Portland, etc. dates? My chances of getting to Portland are slim, but one never knows--and that's assuming you're talking Oregon. :)

Chris Swanberg March 4th, 2009 02:37 AM

Charles....I happen to have the pleasure to work with Richard Davis's brother, Mike here in Sacramento CA. In a recent phone between them call I was privy to and participated in, I discovered that you had started as the DOP on "Scrubs" and Richard has followed you.

I had mentioned I knew of you through this site, and found out about your friendship with Richard. I think I told him that as is often the case I find here some really high level pros (like you) participate here on this site with others well below on the learning curve in their maturation in the craft, and in doing so offer some otherwise unavailable and valuable perspective.

I remember saying to Richard's brother Mike, after our phone call, that if folks like Richard and Charles would make movies, their productions would be to die for. (Almost a quote.)

Well you have, and I cannot wait. I'd love to bring all my little production company members/players to see it with you in LA !

It looks awesome.

Chris Swanberg

Charles Papert March 4th, 2009 10:14 AM

One correction Chris--both Rich and I were primarily the camera and Steadicam operators on "Scrubs" although we both did some DP work on the show on the odd occasion.

Bruce, no DVD release set but I'm sure it will be at some point. I hope it gets a Blu-Ray release.

Josh Chesarek March 4th, 2009 10:29 PM

Very interesting. I am no where near the above listed places but it looks like something I would enjoy watching. Hope it get's Netflixed!

Mike Tucker March 5th, 2009 08:03 AM

Hey Charles,

Looks like an awesome movie. I have not been to a theater, for a movie, in years (5+), but I will go and see yours.

Congratulations!

Mike

Charles Papert March 5th, 2009 10:52 AM

thanks Mike! Hard to know at this point how extensive the distribution will become, it will roll out starting in just a few city initially (I like your city a lot though, I worked on a movie there years ago).

Dennis Murphy March 5th, 2009 12:09 PM

The visuals look delicious.

Charles Papert March 14th, 2009 03:01 AM

"The Perfect Sleep" opened tonight to a near-sellout crowd. I arrived late from work but saw the second half--I'm very pleased with the 35mm print. I hope some of you who are LA-based will go to see it (preferably this weekend, we need the numbers to hold the engagement over). I think we neatly managed to avoid a lot of the "low-budget" or "digital-looking" traps with the film (which was indeed low-budget and shot digitally)!

One of the most complimentary reviews was from iFMagazine.com, excerpted below:

"The cinematography, in a word, is simply stunning. I know that’s two words, but that’s how surprisingly breathtaking they are. Style is the word of the day. True to its noir roots, every scene THE PERFECT SLEEP is dark and moody, exquisitely thought out to deliver dramatic punch."

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Charles Papert March 14th, 2009 12:13 PM

A little late getting out of the gate, but this has a few laughs:

Perfect Sleep Viral Video

Matt Williams March 16th, 2009 07:50 AM

WOW! I need to see this also. Looks great I would only hope to make something near as good. The trailer looks un-real GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

Eric White March 17th, 2009 12:14 PM

The Perfect Sleep

Loved the trailer!! Will there be any screenings in Canada?

Best of luck.

e.m.white

Charles Papert March 17th, 2009 10:41 PM

Held over!

Due to impressive ticket sales, "The Perfect Sleep" is being held over for an additional week at the Laemmele Sunset 5, so you LA-based DVI'ers, go see it!

As far as other cities outside NYC (opening on the 27th), no word yet.

Craig Yates March 19th, 2009 04:53 PM

Charles that viral video was ace, the Léon bit had me laughing so hard. The movie itself looks rather impressive too, hopefully I'll get a chance to see it sometime!