DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   By the people, for the people (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/146478-people-people.html)

Björn Rehder March 24th, 2009 07:18 AM

By the people, for the people

"By the people, for the people" is the story of how communal conservancies in Namibia are adopting community-based natural resource management pratices.

Enjoy this 26min movie. see it here: Untitled on Vimeo

(it's widescreen..but vimeo somehow made it even wider :-) - maybe I need to re-render a lettebox version in 4:3?)

Your comments are welcome

Marcel D. Van Someren March 24th, 2009 08:07 PM

Nice job. It would be nice if you uploaded a HD version (1280X720). That will also fix the aspect ratio problem. The resolution of the one posted is just too small to fully appreciate the work you've done.

Lorinda Norton March 24th, 2009 10:42 PM

Hi Björn,

I watched the documentary and had some thoughts to post, but now I'm wanting to watch it again to make sure I’m not way off with my critique of the overall effect. It takes enough time to watch, however, that I may have trouble getting back to it right away. :)

For now: Your editing is impeccable, as always, and the images are beautiful.

Björn Rehder March 24th, 2009 11:51 PM

Many Thanks for your kind comments.

Uploading the HD version is currently not possible as its way over 500MB and bandwith here in "Africa" is pretty expensive.

Perhaps I could split the video into (n)parts and then upload it bit by bit.
I'm just wondering if that would destroy the flow and story of the video?

Lorinda Norton March 25th, 2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Björn Rehder (Post 1033101)

Not at all. I believe it's just the ticket, because part of the problem I was having while watching was that I wished I had an outline before me. Breaking it at the right spots would provide that, or a table of contents, of sorts.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 25th, 2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Björn Rehder (Post 1033101)
Many Thanks for your kind comments.

Uploading the HD version is currently not possible as its way over 500MB and bandwith here in "Africa" is pretty expensive.

Just FYI - ExposureRoom - Providing Exposure & Opportunity for Talent is what I use to post videos. It doesn't have a file size limit like Vimeo, and frankly, I think their flash compression looks and performs better as well.

Björn Rehder March 25th, 2009 01:49 PM

Great idea Marcel. I'm exploring the site now and so far it looks promising. Many Thanks for the tip.
I'll report back when it's uploaded.

Björn Rehder March 28th, 2009 12:31 AM

Took a while with our non-reliable local ISP to upload to exposure room.

I still had to compress the movie quite a bit as the original HD version is about 8Gig.
At least the aspect ratio is now correct on exposure room.

see it here: By the people, for the people By Björn Rehder On ExposureRoom

So now load the video into cache get some popcorn and enjoy this documentary.
Comments are welcome.

Marcel D. Van Someren March 28th, 2009 08:28 AM

I think it was worth the effort to upload this to exposureroom. Wonderful footage and very informative. I think the only thing that is missing is the National Geographic, Discovery Channel, or even Animal Planet logo in the bottom, right hand corner.

Have you given any thought to submitting this to one of those channels? It certainly is good enough.

Björn Rehder March 28th, 2009 02:44 PM

Thank You Marcel.

I guess it's too late now.

Stick around for the next one. It'll be about the translocation of +/- 2500 wild animals to some of these communities. ('got some teasers on vimeo)

Hopefully we have that done by end of this year.

One day when XL H1 footage will be accepted on those channels for nostalgic reasons.....One day......

Marcel D. Van Someren March 28th, 2009 06:33 PM

Actually, my understanding is that those channels currently accept a certain precentage of their programming from HDV as long as the material is supplied to them in the format they want and meets their broadcast requirements. It might be something to look into.

Björn Rehder March 29th, 2009 04:33 PM

And now I can kick my butt that we recorded the birth & construction (partly) of the largest telescope in the world being built right here in SD 4:3! Damn! I should have invested in HD earlier.
further reading here: HESS helps scientist travel back in time

Ahh well...

Björn Rehder May 14th, 2009 11:56 AM

Oh...uhm...and we won "best cinematography" at the local film festival for this movie!

By the people, for the people By Björn Rehder On ExposureRoom

Marcel D. Van Someren May 17th, 2009 08:35 AM

Congratulations!