Draft of new website, would love comments at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Draft of new website, would love comments

Ann Arbor Video Production - WilkinsonVisual Demo Reel

It's simply an online portfolio with contact info.

Been a long time coming. Was going for simple, direct, easy-going and a touch of quirkiness.

I'd love any comments or suggestions. Even if you think it's just OK and have no real comment, let me know. (getting all negative or positive, or no comments at all isn't helpful)

DISCLAIMERS! - several links don't work. Also the videos look like garbage at this point. I am still in the design phase and ironing that out before I make all the pages/images. The videos look like jank because I'm having Dreamweaver resize them, for the final site I will make the video natively that size.

Thanks for looking. (I never claimed to be a web designer)
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

I like the cleanness of it.
But... as much as I love BACON... that link might distract some clients who actually want to give you money.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Have to agree with Dylan (well, don't HAVE to...): first thing I clicked on was BACON...

Mmmmmm... bacon...
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Wrangler

Nice, clean site. I'm not sold on the way the content overlaps the duo-tone background. But then, yeah, what do I know. It wasn't until I was staring the frickin' amazing quadruple bacon cheese burger, that I hit the back button because I'd hadn't bothered to figure out what you do.
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
Nice, clean site. I'm not sold on the way the content overlaps the duo-tone background. But then, yeah, what do I know. It wasn't until I was staring the frickin' amazing quadruple bacon cheese burger, that I hit the back button because I'd hadn't bothered to figure out what you do.
I think he might be a butcher, or some sort of demi-god of meat.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #6
New Boot

Well I am not affiliated with bacon in any way, other than the occasional side of it with my eggs. This goes for the link as well... I'm not affiliated with the site it links to. Purely for randomness. In fact everyone I've shown this too comments about the bacon link... and I think that's perfect, because they are remembering my site because of it. I wanted something to set my site apart from others and I think that is it.

That's pretty funny to me that the link is getting the most hits out of anything :-D
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I love bacon too. My only comment is that when a link is hit to go to another site it doesn't open in a new tab or window. I think it would help if you did that so the new window or tab can simply be closed, not having to use the back button.
Leave your site window open by itself.
My 3 cents.
Ken Civian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Mike, hey it's nice and quirky. And fun. Very clean and modern. I like that it's not too wordy, but don't forget that words WILL help search engine optimization and such. Nice reel, too.

One thing I would NOT link to, at least in its present form is your resume. It's debatable, I guess, if clients would even care about a resume... some prospects might be looking for a production house that's been around longer, etc. but the main issue is your clients' references, phone #s, email, etc. being out there for anyone to mine for data. Getting your clients/ associates spammed or cold-called for unrelated goods/services is a sure fire way to have them not be too pleased with you.

Otherwise, good job with it.

Cheers.
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #9
New Boot

On the resume point– Noted! Never thought about that.

And yes, making the Bacon link open a new tab is top on my list of changes. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work