Default My third cooking show...again I can use you great comments! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 31st, 2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Default My third cooking show...again I can use you great comments!

I dont mean to post ALL my shows on this forum but i do want to post the first few so I can get some output from you guys. One problem I did have with this one (again i know the camera was tilted, i missed that again, and the girls hair was coverin the mic at times) was that i wasnt sure what to put in between different scenes. A video editor told me never to use cross fades in cooking videos because they look edited...could anyone shine some light onto this?

also again I would love some you guys to critique my work, thanks!

also part 2 of this video is on my youtube channel if you guys want to take a look at that too. thanks

YouTube - How to make Black & White cookies Part One
Rishi Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Rishi,

I watched both part one and part two. I see that you fixed the tilt problem on part two. :)

Overall I think it was good. Here are a few observations.

First, generally I agree that cross fades don't have a place in cooking shows but in the way you used it to cut to the clips of seinfeld and back, I think it works.

Now, using the clips of seinfeld might be a problem since it it copyright infringment. that could get you into big trouble if this show becomes really popular.

Your exterior shots of the house should be locked down. There was too much movement.

In part one, especially, your B shots would be better served looking into the bowls than a side view. You did start doing that later in part one but those shots should be close ups, showing what's going on in the bowl. It should fill the frame and the camera should be locked down as well.

I got the feeling that the cookies took hours to bake because at the begining of part two, the exterior house shot is now at night where in part one, it was still during the day. maybe that was your intent? But your talent said they bake really fast so there's a continuity issue there.

Finally, in the first part of part two, the audio had some reverb. That was fixed in the second half of part two.

I need to go get some cookies, now....
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey there.
I watch a lot of cooking shows with my GF and I have to say, I like what you're doing. There are some really cool things going on and I LOVE B&W cookies.

That said, a couple things I would do is change up the a bit. In part 1 it gets a little stagnant staying on the same master shot. This was solved with part 2. With the cutaway shots showing the action inside the bowl, these were way better in part 2, but I think a higher angle would be nicer. That way you can get inside the bowl and see the real action going on in there. I'm a big fan of the shows that have some movement to them. Not necessarily quick cutting, because in cooking shows you can't do that, but some more angles and coverage islways nice. Even though you have one master shot, you can always pull in tighter when the host is telling a personal story and cut back and forth to the cutaway "action" stuff.

Overall I like what you're doing and great job doing it. I don't know if this host on the cookie part 1 and 2 is the main host, but maybe the exterior shot (which I agree, should be locked down) you could add her for a little bit of personalization to it.

Just my thoughts. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work