DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   undeground "electronica" web videos - canon xl-1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/14859-undeground-electronica-web-videos-canon-xl-1s.html)

Sean Sheehan September 22nd, 2003 11:05 PM

undeground "electronica" web videos - canon xl-1s

I thought that the dv community would be interested in seeing "strictly underground videos" (edited & unedited xl-1s low light conditions.)
http://homepage.mac.com/soundspeed.us

Yang Wen September 23rd, 2003 08:23 AM

What is this stuff? I mean really.

Keith Loh September 23rd, 2003 11:05 AM

Yeah I'm a bit mystified too.

Imran Zaidi September 23rd, 2003 11:19 AM

Looks like pretty cool footage from an environment that is usually difficult to film - the underground club scene.

This would be very interesting to folks that like films such as "Groove" or "Better Living Through Circuitry".

Keith Loh September 23rd, 2003 02:21 PM

I've filmed in clubs before. I prefer the ones where there is lots of crazy lighting. You can really get a groove off of people there.

Sean Sheehan September 23rd, 2003 07:37 PM

"whats this " ??? sspeed - wang

1st it's footage that dj's, producers and soundspeed productions can use to promote electronica music. When time permits I will research the % used with current commercials and feature films.

2nd the footage and music is for users who prefer not to listen to radio or watch mtv. Without a budget, I still produce the footage into 1st edits. The site covers my experimental stages of my growth and creativity with the Xl-1s.

Victor Muh September 27th, 2003 03:27 PM

Here's some short video reports I've done of what I prefer to call "future music" culture.

All shot with the XL1 PAL, they feature lots of low, existing light conditions.

Check them out here: http://advaloreminternational.com/documentary.html

Keith Loh September 27th, 2003 06:14 PM

Sean, I did finally see these and they're cool. Whenever I've planned a night shoot I've been told that the low lighting would be too awful but these are good for the effect.

Sean Sheehan September 28th, 2003 11:04 AM

keith * victor

thanks for the support and i'm happy to see that you are supporting electronica music. most of my gigs are not planned and the location is new or has no budget. a "vibe" or "energy" is what i seek in my shoots. from their the camera takes over and finds its target. i like not having lights for my goal is to blend in with the party.
i don't consider myself an editor. when a budget is on the table then my footage-clips would go into its "2nd edit". in the meantime i do the best i can.

low lights or even a spot light can make a huge difference in my shoots. but, most promoters can't see how powerful our dv cameras are or refuse to light the subject (dj) so i must adjust the settings and cover the talent so they are the center of atttention. if you look at the dnb footage you can see how i do "on the fly" effects with the xl-1s. hopefully soon i can have a budet for at least a 2 camera setup and record the sound with proper audio....

Keith Loh September 28th, 2003 03:33 PM

What kind of response do you get from the locations when you say you want to bring your Canon inside?

Sean Sheehan September 28th, 2003 05:22 PM

venue promotions electro

before i shoot in a club/venue i offer to give them promo pics from the shoot (edit frame and pull as jpegs.) and a credit on the video if its produced for the web. with a canon on my shoulder and a strong film resume they are very open. they get promo material for their location and it does not cost them any money.

keep in mind that we are "santa" @ xmas and have a lot to offer. as for contracts with them? it has not an issue.....

Victor Muh September 28th, 2003 05:48 PM

I always contact the promoter ahead of time and get permission to shoot.

I never bring lights for these things. Having a camera as big and flashy as the XL1 is bad enough. Nothing kills the mood in a club faster than a bright, white light shining on the crowd grooving to music. You might as well dowse them with ice water.

Not only that, when you go to a club, the lighting is expected to be murky. Why should a movie of a club be any different?

If an element absolutely needs lighting, I will first try everything possible with my camera's adjustments and positioning to bring the image out of the darkness. Otherwise, I will try to re-direct the club's lighting to suite my needs. I've toyed with the idea of covering my light with colored gels, too.

Sean Sheehan October 4th, 2003 08:40 AM

victor me a cool web-site

nice site victor and nice to see you spreading the underground with human spirit. i'm not the best at communication due to all the bass that has passed thru my ears. we are on the same page with our views. vibe, event, music, etc is 1st on my list also. i luv using my options on the canon. an extra light source from the venue is what i mean. no add-on for the xl-1s allowed.
however, some venues will have "1" red light and that's it. an hour of : dj - red light - disco ball - ??? for me it makes the difference of a B grade or A grade look. ps: in the field my fellow promoters call me, weazil, mr. weazil now that i'm married. its not easy, but, i try to keep the camera in the shadows.....
(keith nice work)

Victor Muh October 4th, 2003 10:01 AM

Cool, Mr. Weazil!

Got anything online?

What do your promoters do with the footage? The promoters I know seem clueless in this respect.

Sean Sheehan October 4th, 2003 06:26 PM

victor - r u god sent ?

i sit and pray for a "wise promoter" to see the opps. or a dj who can see how easy it is to produce a dv media/music product 4 our industry. (dvd/cd) is the future for their sales. producing 12 inch plates is at an all time low and everyone is a label? so now what? give me an apostle or two and then I can research how to contact the talent, labels, etc.....and try and pay the rent... you opened a can of worms and in my can is some very high end talent. my blood pressure is rising, we should speak soon. (my current project is dj sneak with siesta records) ps: promoters do not get footage until ssp is paid in full...
i give them a web based video for their efforts...
"meet me 1/2 of the way and a promoter can have a key into a new medium"