Lady X: Episode 16 released! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:59 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Lady X: Episode 16 released!

Lady X wants to initiate a new secret mission and is heading back to The Netherlands. But is she aware of....the client?

Watch Episode 16 now! Go to http://www.ladyxfilms.com and click the "Current Episode" link.

The Lady X Crew

================
Episode 16 Details:

Directed by: Peter Sieben
Produced by: Dick Hovenga and Peter Sieben
Director of Photography: Peter Sieben
Written by: Dick Hovenga and Peter Sieben
Still photos: Rob Hulsman

Principal Cast: Yvonne Kramer (Lady X); Rob Karsten (Mister Y); Simona Manuel (Female Spy); Rob Hulsman (Male Spy); Kees Oud (The Client)

Voice-over Female Spy: Monique van Dalfsen
Voice-over recording and soundeffects: Jan Schermer
Music: Composed and performed by Peter Sieben
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I really liked the bicycles. Almost wished we would have come up with something like that.

Also, some of the shots were very nice. For example; how did you do the one where you look down upon the people around the table? Did you shoot it in a high warehouse or was there some trick to it?
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:42 AM   #3
Major Player

GREAT JOB PETER! I actually checked this out yesterday before the post was up. There were so many great looking shots, especially the bicycle shots, the shots of evasion through the thick brush and also in the bar/cafe. This was definitely one of my favorites though there were a few things I thought were a tad awkward. I thought the weakest point of the episode was the voice over. Her tone and mood just didn't really match the urgent nature of what the plot was about. Also, I liked the bicycle chase scene, though I thought if they were really going to chase someone down and they were these undercover agents etc. that they would have motorcycles or a car. But these two points were rather minor when compared to the overall splendor of the way things were executed. Oh, and the music was done well too, some of the bkgrd sfx were dead on in setting mood. You know how we are about bkgrd music :) . It was a tough job to follow such an excellent episode that came out last week, and you stepped up to the plate. Nice one!
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:48 AM   #4

Like so many before, the videography was well done. It had a "different" feel--a unique approach. With all due respect, I disagree with Bryan's comment about the voice over. To me, it sounded "cool" and "unattached" as one might expect someone from HQ to sound.

The one thing I liked was that your story revealed something about the character of Lady X... she likes to drink Romulan ale! ;o)
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Thank you all for sharing your reaction.

Ronnie, we filmed the table shots in a middle-big theatre room. In the top of the room there is a metal bridge called a "theatre bridge" (translated from Dutch) where you can reach and adjust the lights. I took my camcorder and tripod and climbed the stairs to the bridge to make the shot you mentioned. Something you only can do if you are not afraid of heights.

Bryan, I understand your comments on the voice-over. The idea was to have a cool and experienced female spy that looks back on a odd job she did in the past. She's calculated and hides any emotions, that's why it sounds like it does. Almost like a documentary.

We wanted to make the movie ironic and a bit over the top, using typical Dutch themes like the bicycles and the sheep running away. During the script-brainstorming we did come up with cars and motorbikes (the two contraspy's both have a motorbike), but we couldn't think of an idea how Mister Y would leave his car/motorbike trying to hide in the field. I was always in favor of the bicycles and we think it worked out nice with the landscape.

Bryan, what do you mean with "...some of the bkgrd sfx were dead on in setting mood"?

I've added a Lady X section to my own website, with some pictures, the teaser-trailer and some production notes:
www.orphic.nl/odm

Peter
Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:01 PM   #6
Air China Pilot

Peter, the shots and angles were superior and I liked the tone of your episode all the way through. A few shots I liked. All the bicycling sequence. How cleverly you hid Lady X. I laughed at the sheep. Charming. The whole structure of it was good too, with the whole thing a Flashback. The only negative for me was the voiceover. I'm not a snob about accents but it sounded a bit funny to me.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Peter - when I said that the background music was Dead On, I meant that it fit perfectly with the mood of the short. I especially took notice at the cool background music at the cafe/bar where the spy and lady X exchange drinks and then there is a dissolve to the two tracking him. The sounds to link these two scenes was really cool, I thought you did a great job....
Old September 25th, 2003, 07:39 AM   #8
Wrangler

Nice work!
Very good photography and editing.
Great music.
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Lady X just keeps getting better and better. Great job. I really enjoyed this episode.
Old September 30th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #10
Major Player

Behind the scenes video LX EP 16 online

Tonight the crew of Lady X Episode 16 had a great premiere party with the screening of the episode on a high end tv/dvd/audio-setup, great food and drinks. All crew members received a copy of the dvd-version of Episode 16. The evening was a enjoyable way to finish the project.

Two extra features from this dvd are also available online: the behind the scenes-video (11 minutes) and a collection of deleted scenes and bloopers (8 minutes). We had great fun looking at them and realized again how great it is to make a short movie the way we did: serious but with a big smile.

Surf to www.orphic.nl/odm and check out the Media section of the Lady X videoproject.

Best of wishes,

Peter Sieben
Old October 1st, 2003, 07:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Peter - great behind the scenes short. It was really fun to see you go through some of the same headaches I always encounter as well as to see all of the actors having such a good time. Though I must admit, I wish I understood your language :D . Also, it's funny, I have the exact same briefcase that you guys used in your Episode. My camcorder is actually in mine and I got it from a large chain of stores here in the states for 19 dollars. Anyways, I can't wait for your next project.....
Old October 2nd, 2003, 12:50 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Bryan, I'm not really sure if it's the same briefcase. The one that was used in our film is normally an investigation kit at the Dutch police force used at a crime-scene (without the tools in it during filming).

Our next project, oofff, I'm just taking a brake.... ;-))

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work