Filming Dishwasher Interior/From An Open-Cockput Plane at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Filming Dishwasher Interior/From An Open-Cockput Plane

Just wondered if anyone here had tips on filming inside a dishwasher while it was in operation??? Also, I would like to film from a Tiger Moth biplane... any tips as to how best achieve this ie mounts, filming technique, miniDV settings etc?
Old October 21st, 2003, 08:25 AM   #2
Trustee

fimling inside a dishwasher, that's a new one. I guess you could try using an EWA Marine bag, but make sure you just use cold water as I have no idea what hot water would do to the bag.

As for filming from inside a Tiger Moth hand holding would be out but a Bogen Super Clamp might do the job for you. Settings wise I'd go for Manual mode. Setting wise there shouldn't be too much difference from shooting normally. I shot from inside an F-18 once and just set my camera to manual, a fairly high f-stop, f8-11 and hand held. That was in 98 with a vx1000. The footage came out pretty good. It was a little shaky in parts but it's a little difficult holding a camera up let alone steady when your pulling 5G turns.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:05 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

The only problem with setting the cam in the dishwasher, aside from potential water damage, is the lack of light.

I would suggest going to an appliance repair shop, and see about having a unit modified with a sheet of plaxi glass to shoot through. Then you should be able to light and shoot through that side.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 09:15 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I've seen demo dishwashers at retailers that have clear front doors...to show buyers how it works. Check around, you might find one.

As for the plane, watch the English Patient or The Great Waldo Pepper and try to get an idea of where and how they mounted the cameras.
Old October 21st, 2003, 10:46 AM   #5
Warden

I have shot the dishwasher segments for a major consumer products company. It was done with a clear dishwasher as John surmised.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Check out the products from Extreme CCTV. www.extremecctv.com.

I own a security company and we use some of their cameras. They offer a line of "extreme use" cameras including under water and explosion proof cameras. I would recomend putting one of these inside the dishwasher, then running the signal cable to a deck or to the AV input of your camcorder. Many are also IR models that can produce a good picture in pure darkness using only an IR source.

This would be much smaller and easier to work with than a standard 3-CCD size camera in a waterproof bag.

Maybe that helps.
Kevin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If it were me...

I would set one up out doors. Open the door and rig all the safety devices so it would run with the door open. Then shoot it close enough to get the shot but get all wet.

Just a thought.

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:06 PM   #8
Major Player

You say you are looking to shoot "from" a Tigermoth ?
Are you shooting air-to-air or air-to-ground?

Orrrr are you trying to shoot the pilot and the airplane?

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work