DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Lady X: Episode 21 released! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/16515-lady-x-episode-21-released.html)

John Locke November 1st, 2003 06:20 AM

Lady X: Episode 21 released!

A woman in black forces a retired locksmith to overcome his painful past in a psychological journey that takes him from a graveyard to a cathedral.

Watch Episode 21 now! Go to http://www.ladyxfilms.com and click the "Current Episode" link.

The Lady X Crew

================
Episode 21 Details:

Directed by: Jami Jokinen
Produced by: Jami Jokinen and Mike Pohjola
Director of Photography: Ken Tanaka
Written by: Mike Pohjola

Principal Cast: Olli Martin (The old man); Tonja Goldblatt (His wife/Lady X); Venla Kuitunen (Library ghost); Various jackdaws (Jackdaws)

Audio production: Jami Jokinen
Music: Composed and performed by Jami Jokinen

Grip: JD Sorvari

Ghost's costume: Tytti Mulo
Ghost's hair: Mira Ahlroth

Ronnie Grahn November 1st, 2003 02:05 PM

Wow! That was pure eyecandy!
Really impressive photography wich carried the story perfect.
Looking foward to the conclusion.

Good Work!

Keith Loh November 1st, 2003 03:03 PM

A NEW LEVEL

Fantastic photography. Not just the quality of the image and the lighting but your composition is superb. This is totally professional quality. Captures the mood very well. The worst thing about this is "To be continued..."

I'm sure we will all be interested to know the ins and outs of your photography.

Canon and Nikon lenses, eh? Tell us more, please, Jami.

Peter Sieben November 1st, 2003 04:24 PM

Indeed great looking and moody work from Finland! Very nice to see a different approach to the Lady X concept. Can't wait to see the second part.

Peter Sieben

Mark Newhouse November 3rd, 2003 11:24 AM

Wow Jami,

That was some great cinematography! I'd love to see that full screen...

Yes, please let us know more about what Canon and Nikon equipment you used. How much of the "look" was accomplished in post, and how much was an excellent DOP?

I like how you were able to cut the jackdaws into a meaningful sequence. You used them well in showing off your beautiful city.

I, too, am looking forward to the conclusion.

Jami Jokinen November 4th, 2003 01:10 AM

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. I really appreciate them, especially because this is my first fiction ever. Up to date I've only made a few nature documentaries.

To be honest, I'd rather live without the technical aspects of filmmaking. But due to the nature of no-budget filmmaking and this community, I'll have to deal with the inevitable technical discussion. So let's hit it.

Canon means the original XL-1 with the stock 16x and the 3x wide angle lenses. I've also used some Nikon still lenses (20-200 mm) as telephoto with the Optex adapter.

A lot of the look is done in post using strong color correction with Canopus filters in Premiere. No specific settings vere used, as a photographer I've learned to trust my eye.

Outdoor scenes were shot in natural light. Indoor scenes were lit with three or four 600w and 800 redheads. This was a real hassle, I've never used any kind of video lighting in my life.

John Locke November 4th, 2003 03:23 AM

Jami,

Could you tell us how you did the intro three-part zoom...from the landscape...to the clock...to the jackdaw? Three different clips, obviously...but I'm wondering how you made the zoom from one to the other. And I'm also curious how you've shot the jackdaw in the window at eye-level, considering there are no tall buildings in front of the clock tower for you to have run up into and shot across the street. Because of that, I'm guessing the shot of the jackdaw is a different building altogether or a window in the clock tower building but on street level?

Jami Jokinen November 4th, 2003 03:50 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : Jami,

Could you tell us how you did the intro three-part zoom...Three different clips, obviously...but I'm wondering how you made the zoom from one to the other. -->>>

Shooting with a wide-angle, then with different telephotos from one spot. After that driving like madman (in order to keep the clock at about the same position) halfway closer to the tower and shooting again. With all these clips at hand it's just about careful compositing. After all, the zoom parts consist only of 2-4 different frames.

<<<-- I'm guessing the shot of the jackdaw is a different building altogether or a window in the clock tower building but on street level? -->>>

This might be something that I'd like to keep a mystery at least for now...

(Actually it's my new glidecam that I can glide up and down the belltower with... ;) )

Steve Franco November 4th, 2003 10:37 AM

I don't have speakers here at my work computer but I decided to watch the film based solely on the visuals. Very impressive! I think you've made the best looking Lady X episode so far in the series. Congrats!

Jami Jokinen November 5th, 2003 02:39 AM

Please try to watch it with audio also. The audio plays (of course) very important role. Our episode has also original music composed for this purpose.

Brad Simmons November 5th, 2003 05:33 AM

Amazing cinematography Jami. That might be the best footage I've seen shot with the Canon, hard to believe it's not film. The music is really well done as well, fits perfect with the subject matter. Since I have a Canon and the Canopus this gives me some hope that a look like this can be achieved with my equipment. Do you have Canopus 2 or the older version? I'll have more questions later, nice work.

Steve Franco November 6th, 2003 08:42 AM

I just watched you movie with speakers this time. I thought it was excellent. The music fit nicely with the overall tone. Also is there going to be a part two for your Lady X submission as it ends with to be continued?

Jami Jokinen November 6th, 2003 11:38 PM

Check out episode 22 on November 8th.

Dylan Couper November 7th, 2003 12:31 AM

Hey
Wow!
Best cinematography yet. I'll be surprised if anyone can top this one. Amazingly good.

Now some critical feedback, as much as the pretty pictures entertained me, you took 7 minutes to say virtualy nothing, except there is an old man, a ghost and a book.
Most of the rest of us Lady X producers have squeezed massive amounts of story into only one episode, where you who are lucky enough to have twice the time of the rest of us, have drawn things out rather slowly.

As far as cinematography, editing, and sound go (plus the old man is great), you are certainly a contender for a batch of awards.

As far as the story goes, I have to put it near the bottom of the pack.

Jami Jokinen November 7th, 2003 01:55 AM

Thanks Dylan,

at last we get some critical discussion. I've really been waiting for this.

You are absolutely right about the slower story compared to other episodes. This is carefully thought and goes hand in hand with the mood and genre we chose.

We did have this approach from the very beginning, even before we were granted two slots. As soon as we did, I had the opportunity to make the edit even slower. I realize this luxury has to be taken in consideration when comparing the possibilities of visualization and editing in our episode vs. 7-minute episodes.

As far as the "story" goes, that is a matter of approach. To me a story in a movie can be found totally in another level than what is seen as straight action in the picture. I might even accept a movie that would just hit me with a strong emotion, even without a noticable "story". If the story can be found in different levels and experienced differently by different viewers, it's even better.

Nevertheless, our story is much smaller and subtle than in other episodes (so far). But there is one, seeing episode 22 might lighten it. But possibly not to all viewers.

I think it the series is richer with episodes that differ enough. Because the viewers do, too.

Keith Loh November 7th, 2003 01:30 PM

Dylan, I guess some of us like slower productions. Sure, it's nice to have the two slots - I agree with that point. But it's also nice to see an episode that has a nice European feel that concentrates on atmosphere. They may have skirted the challenge of concision but as a stand alone I want to see the next episode before I render judgment.

Dylan Couper November 7th, 2003 10:37 PM

Jami, I have to admit that to your credit, the mood and pace strengthen the weaknesses in the story.
I do appreciate the diversity of your movie, and will reserve final judgement until the 2nd episode. However, the strength of this episode is supported almost entirely by your excellent photography. If you weren't so skilled at shooting and editing, it would have been very boring to watch.

After watching it again, I think you definitely my vote for best Cinematography.

Mike Pohjola November 8th, 2003 11:42 AM

Dear Dylan,

thank you for your comments on Episode 21. I agree with you on Jami's excellent cinematography and editing, but as the writer and co-producer of the episode, would like to talk about the story.

"Now some critical feedback, as much as the pretty pictures entertained me, you took 7 minutes to say virtualy nothing, except there is an old man, a ghost and a book."

Many of the Lady X movies have focused strongly on action: What the characters do. However, we believe that while the medium of cinema works precisely because of movement, it is the characters that make that movement relevant.

It is NOT interesting to see an action hero shoot a villain. It IS interesting to see an action hero shoot a villain because the hero had a fight with his son, and must now rescue him from the villain before the son joins forces with the villain.

I don't know about your experience with storytelling, but as a professional writer I believe everything in a movie (or a play or a novel) contributes to the whole. If you only saw an old man, a ghost, and a book, then I suggest this may be because you're looking at the wrong things.

Indeed, the fact that you're looking for some particular things that will form the entirity of the story is flawed logic. Every nuance, facial expression, camera movement, sound, touch of color, object in the background... They all make the whole that is a movie, not just what the main characters do or not do.

Now, I'm sure you're familiar with all this, but if none of this felt in any way moving to you in our film, there's probably something wrong with the film. If you have time to think about how good the cinematography is, it's not solid enough a part of the whole. Maybe because you only saw the first part, but probably something bigger.

Mike Pohjola

Dylan Couper November 8th, 2003 06:20 PM

Just watched Part 2.
Mike, someone in the other thread suggests that this episode should only be shown as one part, since it loses something by being cut up. Perhaps as part of the creative team, you see it as a whole, not as two pieces are the rest of us get to.
Yes, all the individual aspects of the film moved me through the story, and it was extremely well put together. However, the story itself, was fairly unclear and confusing. Maybe I'm just slow, it's quite possible, but by the end of the movie, I was asking myself what the point was?

Brad Simmons November 10th, 2003 02:56 AM

I agree with Dylan.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but let's just say I've watched it twice and I still haven't picked up on the plot. Now I'm sure if I really paid attention I would perhaps understand more of the story, but the fact is nothing in the film made me want to do that. Nothing jumped out at me besides the images, and that's not to say there should be more action, but after an extended time with no dialogue, and seemingly pointless cutaways, your mind starts to wander away from the story. That was one thing that confused me, why so many cutaways to random wildlife? All the shots looked great, but I couldn't figure out how it all related. It made the film seem more like a showcase of talented photography rather than good photography aiding the storytelling process.

One is left with the feeling, very impressive, could have been better, as one side weighs more than the other. But I guess that's how all films are and everything is open to improvement.

The cinematography really increased the production value of this short. I really enjoyed the shot of the old man sitting on the bench, with the people walking past him. How were you able to acheive such a shallow depth of field with the Canon? Was that done with a different lens or in editing?

Jami Jokinen November 10th, 2003 07:09 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Simmons :
, why so many cutaways to random wildlife? -->>>

Random wildlife?

There is no random wildlife in our episode. All the animals have a reason to be there. Their action and even presence have certain meanings as a character (jackdaw), symbols (a pair of mallards) or as adding mood, especially contrast (squirrel in the graveyard in contrast to the almost lifeless old man and the dead).

Imran Zaidi November 10th, 2003 08:19 AM

Just wanted to chime in that part of the problem is that a film like this is harder to appreciate in a little Quicktime box. I can think of many films that I thought were great, subtle and deep, but I would not appreciate them unless seeing them on my TV or in a theater.

Any film with lots of subtext and literary metaphors or such are just hard to appreciate while hunched over a monitor.

It's more of a problem with the medium than the message.

Barry Goyette November 10th, 2003 11:52 AM

For what it's worth, I have to admit that I find myself troubled by Jami's episode(s). When the production stills were first posted, I was really excited as it's obvious that his skills as a photographer are superb. Upon viewing the first part, I immediately found myself seduced by the images and rich music emanating from this little theatre.

But about halfway through that first episode I started hearing the voices...."nothings happening"..."what's going on here?"..."is this really a ladyX film?" I decided to put those thoughts on hold and wait for the second part. Unfortunately this time the voices were less patient and started up within the first minute. About 3/4 of the way through, the chorus became so loud that I had to step away from my computer....I'll admit that I don't know how it ends yet.

Maybe I'm just A.D.D. but this is the first film I've ever walked out on in my life, and its a shame because there were such pretty pictures on the screen. If you sit back and watch the film again you'll see that by and large it is like a slide show...a collection of really beautiful--but essentially still -- images. The challenge of this approach is that it needs a strong narrative to keep it alive. Spend sometime with Woody Allen's "Manhattan" to watch how beautifully a still camera can be used in a film (and I'm not just talking about the cityscapes in the beginning).

Rather than presenting the episode full length as one part, my feeling is that it would benefit from some significant cutting, perhaps to the length of a single episode. It's painful to take beautiful shots and deposit them on the proverbial floor, but all filmmakers have to do it. Sometimes you have to throw away your best stuff to make a film work. Because Jami's shots are so beautiful, it only makes it harder.

Barry

Tao-ming Lin November 10th, 2003 09:39 PM

When I started working as an assistant cameraman, my 'tutor', who knew I was into still photography, told me I'd better forget a lot of what I knew in order to become a better cinematographer, as the two are very different things. I'm still working on that, as you can see from episodes 4 and 5, also one story told over the course of two episodes (I've since taken my time re-editing the two together into one feature for our DVD version, btw). Anyway, perhaps you need to stop thinking so much like a photographer, since adding the dimension of time to the process changes almost everything.

Jami Jokinen November 10th, 2003 11:47 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Goyette :
But about halfway through that first episode I started hearing the voices...."nothings happening"..."what's going on here?"..."is this really a ladyX film?" -->>>

I'll spend my life discussing the last one, if I have to. Our episode passes all the LadyX rules clearly. No, this is not an agent-action-gunsandchases -piece, but the LadyX rules don't require it to be, either.

<<<-- Maybe I'm just A.D.D. but this is the first film I've ever walked out on in my life, -->>>

Our episode has made a unique impact on you then ;)

<<<-- If you sit back and watch the film again you'll see that by and large it is like a slide show...a collection of really beautiful--but essentially still -- images.
The challenge of this approach is that it needs a strong narrative to keep it alive. -->>>

I disagree a little. I'm sure that as a photographer you don't think that still pictures are dead? In my opinion strong visuals can make a still/moving still alive regardless of the narrative.

But there are limits. Maybe I've crossed them in our episode.

<<<-- Rather than presenting the episode full length as one part, my feeling is that it would benefit from some significant cutting, perhaps to the length of a single episode. >>>

Again, I disagree.

As you must have noticed, the action in the storyline is very small. It might have been squeezed to one-minute movie quite easily.

The mood and atmosphere were amongst the most important things in our minds, when building this episode. And these were totally destroyed, when the episode was cut too short.

Believe me, I tried for countless hours and sleepless nights. It just died. (OK, many of you feel it's dead regardless of the length)

The question about the medium is quite relevant, though. About 30 people have seen the episode on a larger screen, and although many of them didn't like it or didn't "understand" the plot, nobody thought the pictures themselves were "dead".

Ken Tanaka November 11th, 2003 12:16 AM

E.P. Comments

One of the many goals John, Paul, Rob and I had for the series was to encourage creative diversity among productions to the maximum extent possible. (Ex: A samurai version of Lady X?!) In turn, one of the goals of that encouragement was to ignite thought-provoking discussions about many of the episodes between producers and viewers. Thoughtful critical discourse and interrogation represents such a valuable aspect in creative work for both its producers and its consumers.

This thread is an outstanding example of such a conversation. Jami and Mike have certainly presented us with a gem for creative discussion.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming....

Dylan Couper November 11th, 2003 01:57 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jami Jokinen : <<<-- Originally posted by Brad Simmons :
, why so many cutaways to random wildlife? -->>>

Random wildlife?

There is no random wildlife in our episode. -->>>

Yeah, you are on your own on that one Brad... :)

Barry Goyette November 11th, 2003 10:16 AM

Jami

I don't think anyone (especially me) here thinks your film is "dead"...otherwise you'd be seeing comments like "cute, loved the birds.....great job Jami..see ya".

As a still photographer, of course I don't see photography as a dead art, and perhaps you are right that its not critical for this approach to have a strong narrative to succeed...I think of godfrey reggio's Koyaaniskaatsi or Kubrick's 2001...yet I'm not sure you were after some sort of meditative abstract mind-bender. You have a narrative here...your story is relatively straightforward. My suggestion is that your approach is "challenging" ...meaning if you do go down this road, you have to go to extra lengths to hold the viewers interest. In my case you didn't succeed, I lost interest. But I'm only one viewer.

Jami, I think the reason that your episode has generated so much discussion is that we all recognize that we have a director (or DP) of tremendous potential in our midst. In this way, please consider your episode an unqualified success.

Barry