feature film teaser shot on dvx1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old December 3rd, 2003, 02:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

feature film teaser shot on dvx1000

we just posted 2 teasers for our feature film shot on dvx100 cameras 24p standard.

"heads or tails"

check them out at http://www.foolmartyr.com

thanks!
clark kline
co writer/director
Clark Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow.

It certainly looks good, and the framing is extremely cinematic.. Were you shooting 16:9 and cropping?

Also what were you using to dolly the camera (having read through your site I'm guessing a dolly as you seem to have pretty high production values, but you never know :o)

Kieran
Kieran Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 01:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

pretty sweeet stuff! Yea... was that done with the 16:9 and cropping?
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Excellent work, Clark! The mood is very tense, creepy, but not in a shlock-horror campy sort of way. Great musical score. I think everyone here would be very interested to know the technical specs of the film (how many cameras, what filters & lenses, size of crew, which lighting instruments... etc.)

Congratulations, and good luck finishing the film!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Looks bad because it is squished vertically. It was extremely distracting. I downloaded the MP4 version.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

re heads or tails teasers

Thanks for all the comments! Keep em coming.

Shot 24p standard with Panasonic DVX100...and edited in Final Cut Pro 4, with a 2.35 matte. I don't believe there is any "squishing".

Used a variety of in-house designed dolly's.

Hope to have more footage on the website in the coming weeks.
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

There definitely is some squishing, at least in the MP4. Have you looked at the MP4? It doesn't look right. It looks different then the pictures on your site, which are not squished.

By the way, you can stretch out the video in FCP and then export the Quicktime in a wide 2.35:1 aspect ratio so you don't waste all that bandwidth on black bars. :)
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I enjoyed the trailer. The music is very ominous. Sets up a good mood overall. Did you guys shoot in Maryland? We're in D.C.
Steve Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #9
Major Player

The MP4 I saw looked pretty squished.

Shots looked great though. I may take it and fix the aspect ratio a bit and see how it looks.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Franco : I enjoyed the trailer. The music is very ominous. Sets up a good mood overall. Did you guys shoot in Maryland? We're in D.C. -->>>

thanks. we shot in MD around frederick. we also shot in the mountains of WVA.
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan McCullough : The MP4 I saw looked pretty squished.

Shots looked great though. I may take it and fix the aspect ratio a bit and see how it looks. -->>>

im gonna recompress it sometime soon in case the encoding squished it. i havent given a lot of time for side by side comparison because we're still wrapping up filming.

the teaser medium and teaser large are 2 different codecs (one an mp4, the other a .mov)...both were matted to 2.35. I'm still looking into how to use compressor and not show the "black bars".

thanks for the suggestions everyone! we hope to have a new teaser with plot within 3 weeks.
Old December 13th, 2003, 12:26 AM   #12
Major Player

There was good framing in all of it. The long teaser, or trailer, didn't tell me anything about the movie or its genre. The short teaser should be thrown away. Some of the darker scenes show the typical dv washout while the sunset scene may be too vivid. But that might be the web/compression also.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

1st teaser thrown away? Wow.

I'm hoping the dv washout you're talking about is in the compression. I haven't tried any other compression codecs other than the mp4's in final cut 4 compressor program. One thing I really like about the panasonic is how good it looks in low light.

we've logged about half of the footage and will be cutting a new teaser with dialogue soon.

Thanks for your comments!

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Belics : There was good framing in all of it. The long teaser, or trailer, didn't tell me anything about the movie or its genre. The short teaser should be thrown away. Some of the darker scenes show the typical dv washout while the sunset scene may be too vivid. But that might be the web/compression also. -->>>
Old January 1st, 2004, 09:26 PM   #14
New Boot

Great stuff!

Man you guys are the next Speilberg!
Mike Daley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2004, 06:10 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi!

I just saw the trailer and I was blown away buy it...

It has a fantastic mood and the editing is very good...

I am looking forward to see your film...You guys let us know when it is ready, right?

I live in Denmark and I can see that your film( and some of the others that i`ve seen on the net) is different that the ones we see in Denmark. But I like it alot...

VERY good job...
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work