Snowboarders!. my sample of 'Snow Killers' is online at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 6th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Major Player

Snowboarders!. my sample of 'Snow Killers' is online

Heres some stuff Ive been working on in Vegas, shot on a Pana DV953/Raynox.3

Its about Boarding and Ski culture, what you will see is pretty much the first minute of what I expect to be about a 30 minute vid. I aint gonna sell it or anything, just for fun!

We shot alot at Mt. Hood, Sunvalley, and Whistler/Blackcomb

Lemme know what you think!

4.3MB WMV9- Snow Killers
or 4.1 MB Quicktime
http://www.aequantum.com/film.htm

John Gaspain
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #2
Major Player

John,

Cool footage, but I thought the music didn't fit the usual "snowboarder" mentality. The music wasn't engaging enough and didn't get me excited about the footage, although I thought the footage was good. Man, when I hear "Snow Killers" I don't think about "Rhine Stone Cowboy." It could just be me, but it seems off. Other than that I liked it, and the shots where you changed the color looked good. Good luck...

Clay
Old January 6th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #3
Trustee

Ha, that's a crack-up. Actually Clay that does fit with "snowboarders" and the tounge-in-cheek manner in which most of us look at life and riding. The lyrics are quite fitting a traveling pro snowboarder or snowboarder shooter.

John,

That's a great start to shooting snowboarding, a little wobbly in some places but you'll get better the more you shoot. I'm sure you know this but make sure you are very sparing with the flashy transitions and VFX in the main body of the video, it's great for the teaser but keep the body as clean as possible and focus on the riding.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:10 AM   #4
Major Player

You guys rock!, I did change the music- then I changed it back after reading Adrians post, and then it came to me- change the Name! so now its called "Rhine Stone Cowboys" no longer 'Snowkillers', hell it was just a working name anyway.

Thanks guys!
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #5
Trustee

Good on ya John!!

When I was living the life of a traveling snowboarder/photographer/videographer dodgy disco and country tunes always seemed to find their way into our tape decks/cd players, especially on our way to the trade show in Vegas.

I've finally gotton rid of my old small SCSI drive and gotten a big one so now I can do something with the 23 hours of footage I have from my last season in NZ. When I've gone through it and put something together I'll let you know.

I'm trying to get the High Cascade Photo Workshop this summer and I'll be taking my XL as well as my still gear so that would make for some great shots as well.
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for putting me straight Adrian! The snowboard vids I have seen (limited) have been pretty high intensity, and that's how I think of the sport, maybe that's because I'm not any good at it and it takes me more intensity! John, love the new name! Keep it up!
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #7
Trustee

Clay,

personally I prefer, and listen to when I'm riding, high energy punk from bands like Pennywise and Bad Religion but lately the trend has been towards hip hop and dodgy disco. Old favs like Ozzie Osbourne and Metallica will never die but basically with todays rail-based videos hip hop is the go.
Old January 7th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Adrian,

I am not even close to trendy, but in my old skating and wakeboarding days all I wanted to listen to was punk and hard metal. Even though I am older now, I still get pumped seeing extreme video put with the hard stuff...that's my personal preference anyway!
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #9
Trustee

I'm with you Clay,

I'd much rather skate/ride to the Buzzcocks, GBH, or the Ramones than hip hop/disco anyday. The TB series are my favourite snowboard videos, loaded with big mountains, big hits and great music. If you've never seen them check them out.
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Adrian,

I will check them out, but have been leaning toward the snowmobiling freakish way lately, at least when I get to Colorado to see my girlfriend. Hit some awesome powder last week! Incredible...anyway, just ordered SledNecks vid, and it looks really cool, what with the heavy music and insane back flips! I saw that they made the video in Coloardo and I know there are members here from Colorado...anyone know what they are using to make these videos or where they are being shot? I'm sure it's DV! Maybe one day I can get up there and make some kickin' videos! That would rock...man, I gotta get outta Texas and into the snow! Good riding...

Clay
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #11
Trustee

I met a few sled guys when I lived in Canada, they are a certifiable bunch. They took me out one day to shoot but we had to come back as the avalanche danger was too high. They did show me some footage they had of them doing high-lines on a 45 degree-ish face, hardcore, I'll tell ya

Most of the sled vids are shot with either DV or Super8/16mm, just the same as most action sports vids these days. Cams used are usually VX1 and 2ks, GL/XM1 and 2s, the odd DVX100 and Arri 16s's.
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #12
Wrangler

Ugh, that music left me so un-stoked I decided not ot go riding today. Actualy I didn't go because it was raining on the hill (Cypress mountain).

Get rid of RSC and put some Swollen Members on top of that!
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Not bad at all.

The music - no, it didn't get me excited about the footage at all. However, as other posters have said - the boarder mantality and "find a joke in everything" mindset go perfectly with the music. I laughed listening to it. I would leave it in there.

My only complaint on the footage is the cropped clip pointing out the back pssger window of the car. You can see a person in the view, but just slightly. Kinda distracting, and this shot lasted a bit too long. The clip of passing the parked semi truck was good though. Nothing wrong with "on the road", just this one clip seemed to stick out.

And on the positive side - the clips with the pink / red tinge to the sky and snow - those were awesome!! Don't know if you forgot to white balance and just went with it, or if it was intentional, but regardless, it was a very good look. Most snow shoots are naturally more of a cool / blue tint color and tend to all look the same.

I'd definately watch the full length feature. I'm in AZ now, but lived in Seattle for 3 years. Spent a lot of weekends up at the pass. Makes me sad to see that poor, unridden board sitting dry in my closet.

Keep it up!
Kevin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #14
Regular Crew

hey yea, i liked the music. I knew what the bloke who recomended faster music meant, but that song has a real character to it, and snow boarding is after all, to the more experienced, chilled out, not what it looks like to the outsider, all fast and frantic. If you need to, change the clips to the music rather than the music to the clips. Im sure with time this will be cool. Makes me want to go boarding so much!
I loved the shot with the pink sky, and the boarders going down the slope. How did you get that shot? What was the camera on to keep it steady? The sky looked amazing.
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #15

i cant get the site to open, the link is dead i spose.

p.s. you all might be interested in http://www.snowfilmer.com if you dont already know about it... its a very informative snowboard filming message board and it will be made even better w/ more members so i thought i would mention it.

i hope the site gets back online

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work