Parody short at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 6th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Parody short

I made this short last Sept., lemme know any thoughts.

BACKSTORY: My university this year has virtually every building under construction, be it remodeling, tearing down, whatever. It was so bad that we would have to leave for class a good 10-15 minutes early to weave through all the detours.

http://www.interlightvideo.com/CRU%20videos.htm
Jonathan Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

That was pretty funny. I would have hoped Eric would have
dressed up like a full construction builder, but eh. Kristin played
nice and innocent.

One reminder though. Be aware of using copyrighted music!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Best part was the sound effect when matt hit the fence. Classic.
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

yea i hate having to use others music. i feel like such a cheap-o- doing it. however, this video was just for personal enjoyment for me and my friends, and since i am not selling it or anything, it is legal. you can use music of cd's you own for personal use. If i were going to submit it to a film festival or anything, i would change the music.

and by the way, lady x looks great. like what you did with the "desaturated" look. nice gritty feel.
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I laughed, I cried, I even had to stop it and play it back over as it was good I mean it. Most student films I see are well what can I say but I love the acting and the story.

Keep it up please!
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #6
RED Code Chef

Actually, no that isn't legal. Yes you can use it for personal use,
but only that. Since you are showing it to use you are showing
it "to the public"! If you are not selling it probably won't become
a problem.

Thanks for the comment. I really liked a lot of the look myself
(not all though, but there was no more time -> as usual)

Old January 8th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Very funny. Especially when they guy was dancing / envisioning what he thought it would be like.

Thanks
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey thanks guys i really appreciate it. As you probably know, releasing your first effort can make you feel a little vunerable i guess is the word. After hearing comments like that, wow, i am encouraged!

And rob you are right about the music. i just dont feel like you guys are "the public", because we are all among friends! :)
But thanks for pointing it out. the best. jonathan
Old January 10th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Jonathan,

You put a lot of thought into this, so I'll try to give some back with a detailed cretique...

1. Opener - great.

2. Eric - Good cut to construciton in middle of segment. It impacts what he's saying - I just like it.

3. Kristin - Is she single? j/k. Very funny, very typical. Great parody. Acting isn't bad either.

4. Eric "Join em". Great velocity envelope change with the pull up to the curb. That "badass in a not so tough truck" effect. Funny. Complaint on this scene: You can't read the sign, and I don't really get the point. I think it may add more punch if Eric steps out and pushes "Bear" aside while pointing to the contruction sticker on the truck.

5. Drew. ROTFLMAO!!!! Office Space is my all time favorite movie, and this guy needs an award. Played the part perfectly.

6. Matt - great slomo effect, and great transfer back to reality. The overall feel of the shot had a dream vs. reality feel. Only complaint - the dream scene goes on and on just a bit too long. Back to reality with the fence was great.

7. I like how Drew meets up with Matt and steps over him, but this set me up for disappointment. I thought the characters were about to come together in some final way.

8. Which leads to the conclusion - frankly there is none. You've got an outstanding piece, but it would be great to see the characters somehow come together in some funny way. Kristen being wooed to by Bear, Matt out cold on the ground, and Eric and Drew become unlikely friends. Heck, maybe Kristen goes lovey eyed at first sight of Drew and shrugs off Bear to run to her new found love - again, an unlikely but funny match.

This really has outstanding potential with a bit of work to the story line. Absolutely funny and makes a point. I'd definately continue on this and I think you've got a great hit for comedy film festival entries.

Thanks for sharing!!
Kevin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input. I think i agree on just about everything you said. the conclusion for instance, was a major problem for me. i distinctly remember when editing this piece, reaching the ending and having nothing. Its almost as if it slipped my mind during filming. a few questions for you (or anybody)...

A- Drews costume. is it too much? he came in with that outfit and i had to time to change it, but i have never been sure how i feel about it. it seems like his character is so good, why should we need the extensive nerd costume?

B- The audio is terrible in places. Did you notice?

C- Any specific ideas for the ending? I think they should all come together some how for a finale, and i like your ideas kevin, just want to see if anyone else has any?
Old January 15th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #11
Major Player

The vision guy was hilarious! Good flick!
Old January 15th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #12
RED Code Chef

I didn't have too much trouble with the sound, Jonathan. Didn't
bother me much, but that might be due to the nature of the
flick I'd say. Drews costume might be a bit much, but it is a
parody after all, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. I
mean, everybody was doing their supposed thing (look at
Kristin's role, heck tell us about Kristin now Jonathan!)

Old January 15th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #13
Major Player

Jonathan,

Great little flick. I will echo what the others said. The audio didn't bother me too much. The music was a bit loud and some of the "on location" speech got a little muffled, but was still understandable. I think you should definately change Drew's name to Milton! Is this kid Milton's son? He did an awesome part, but I did think the costume was a bit much...like you said, his character was perfect, he didn't need the costume to make up for anything! But, what are ya goin' do? It's a parody, so it is fine. Good work and keep it up!

Clay
Old January 15th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #14
Regular Crew

The milton character annoyed me, simply because he's such an over-imitated person, and no one's as funny as the original... Although I liked the rest of the video, not meaning to bash you :P
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:38 AM   #15
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by James Duffy : The milton character annoyed me, simply because he's such an over-imitated person, and no one's as funny as the original... Although I liked the rest of the video, not meaning to bash you :P -->>>

agreed

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work