DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Finally! my sophomore(ic) effort (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/19380-finally-my-sophomore-ic-effort.html)

Josh Bass January 6th, 2004 08:54 PM

Finally! my sophomore(ic) effort

So, what's the Bass been up to all this time? Jeez! He only got one more short done in a year's time? No! I've had other things going on, just not my stuff--works for hire. Anyway, no one cares, so here's the link. This is powerful stuff, people. Beware.

Thank the great and powerful Paul Sedillo for hosting this on his website.

http://bass.piranha-club.com/

Don't know how long it'll take to download--it's compressed to MPEG-1, and is 37 megs. Guess some people will be waiting awhile :-(.

Oh well, once you do wait, you won't be there long, cause it's only 3:43!

Dylan Couper January 6th, 2004 09:02 PM

The footage is really dark. I'd brighten it up just a bit.
Other than that, funny!

Josh Bass January 6th, 2004 09:09 PM

Interesting--I find it looks different everywhere I view it. On computer (in Vegas 4's preview window): foggy, as though I pushed the black level up (I didn't). On my computer (through the quicktime player): perfect. On my NTSC monitor: perfect. On my dad's TV: foggy. On my mom's TV: perfect (or foggy, depending on whether the TV's set to movie or normal mode). On my girlfriend's TV: somewhat dark. Projected digitally on a 20' square screen: beautiful except for some highlights blowing out on a few shots. Who knows?

Robert Knecht Schmidt January 6th, 2004 09:20 PM

I agree with Dylan. DV footage invariably needs to be brightened (actually, gamma-adjusted) prior to web publication.

Nice final credit.

Josh Bass January 6th, 2004 09:22 PM

Any DV footage? Or just mine? Probably any, indicated by the word "invariably."

James Duffy January 7th, 2004 04:15 PM

Can you link directly to the video file? The page keeps crashing my IE for whatever reason.

Josh Bass January 7th, 2004 04:27 PM

Well, it's not on my computer--my buddy AND FELLOW DVINFO.NET MEMBER PAUL SEDILLO is hosting it. I think it does link directly to the file--when you type that URL in (or click it), it starts loading/playing when the page comes up. I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about however.

Bryan Mitchell January 7th, 2004 06:57 PM

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHHAHAHA. That was hallarious. Good work.

Rob Lohman January 8th, 2004 08:55 AM

Direct download link (right-click etc.)

You keep doing weird stuff eh! Excellent short though. At first
I thought not another one of those, but the revelation and the
final tears did it! I really liked the alley (lighting) look as well!

Don Donatello January 8th, 2004 02:13 PM

why did you choose mpeg 1 to stream ??

Josh Bass January 8th, 2004 05:22 PM

Uh. . .I compressed it to MPEG 1 because it was easy to fit on a CD-R, and Paul Sedillo, or "God," did the rest. What should I have done instead? MPEG-2? Does it really look that different when playing on your computer? That's not a hostile question; I''m genuinely interested. My computer monitor (and the processor) is getting progressively more low-tech compared to what's out there now.

Robert Knecht Schmidt January 8th, 2004 07:54 PM

Yes, you'll get a much better compression ratio with a less ancient codec. Consider MPEG 2, or MPEG 4 or the Windows Media Video codec. I would recommend DivX except its new licensing terms and bugged player are more hassle than they're worth anymore.

MPEG 1 is good for CD distribution because even the oldest Windows systems are guaranteed to have the codec installed; but one can assume that anyone downloading content over the internet will have (or easily be able to obtain) newer codecs.

The name of the game is to shrink your file size to allow people to see your film sooner, and ease up on your own bandwidth.

Josh Bass January 9th, 2004 03:53 AM

Alright. I'll try it, of course it's up to Paul Sedillo to see if he'll put up with me invading his home again.

Out of MPEG-2 or -4, which is recommended?

Benjamin Taft January 9th, 2004 01:10 PM

Mpeg 4

You could try the mpeg 4 codec that comes with Quicktime, it seems to play in newer versions of Windows media player too...

oh ya, I enjoyed your short movie. It must have been difficult to keep a straight face while shooting that. :)

Josh Bass January 9th, 2004 01:12 PM

Alright, perhaps I shall. In the meantime, suffer!

j/k.