Cora Adlai Music Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old January 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cora Adlai Music Video

http://www.kmdstudios.com/public/cora/livemed.mov
Medium Quicktime, Larger quality coming soon.

1 of 2 music videos for Cora Adlai's "Summer in a Suitcase". The first was shot 2 days ago and edited last night... just a quicky version to use on the web and for their DVD. The second is a concept based video with more than live band shots, with intent for airing. The second is scheduled for production after the 25th, following my return from Seattle.

For best viewing, please right click, save target as, and view through quicktime player on a black or dark background so that your eyes may see the video more clearly. It is dark.

4 Minutes
8.5mb
24fps

Shot with this setup:
http://www.kmdstudios.com/public/pho...teadi0024c.jpg
Purposefully shaky where shots are shaky, because I wanted it to feel more "live and energetic" (even though it wasn't the band's most energetic performance.. or song).. so can't have it too steady *all the time* =)

Enjoi.
(The second will be much, much better)
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Kevin,

Pretty good work. I think the zooming and out-of-focusness got to be a little distracting to me. I realize this is your first cut, and I think I would shy away from using too much in the final version. Also, there are a couple of shots that are distracting, like when you are trying to focus on the guitarist, but the lead singer is in the way. I liked the end where you threw in the shot from the stage. If all you have to go on is the live performance, I would (if you have the footage) use more footage of the crowd, especially if you have footage of chics singing along to the songs, or throwing their hands in the air kind of stuff. Just some thoughts...Good Luck...
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey J,

Thanks for the comments, actually the zooming/focus shifting was intentionally done, along with tilting, rappid panning, etc.. to give that feel like you're actually at the live show.. and the typical "live" feel is achieve by intentional "bad camera work".. which means it's good camera work made to look bad, haha.

All I have of them right now is the 4 songs worth of footage and a bit of backstage stuff.. which I used in the live cut. The second video, will use much less live footage and have a whole storyline/concept basis. As in, lots of non band performance scenes... shot and lit much better, because then I'll have more room to shoot and control over lighting. I think the band, and I would agree to kinda keep the girls singing and waving hands out of it.. a bit too teenybopper-ish for the general audience of their genre.
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Wrangler

I like the video.

Is that XL1 painted black?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 11:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Kevin,

IMHO, I thought there was a little too much of the "bad camera work" and realized it was on purpose, especially after I saw your set up! I am sure the final concepted version will be great and varied a little more as you say! Can't wait to see it....

And, as for the chics, sorry, I just love to see hot chics in music videos, kind of makes me like the song a little more, well, ok maybe not the song, I just like looking at the hot chics!!!! hehe...

Clay
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

J, hot chicks point is very understood. :) haha I should upload the model profiles I do.. now THERE's some hot chicks on video for eyecandy. Professional models' photoshoots taped on video as if it were a video shoot with photographers on the side.. then minute or shorter/longer spots made as their profiles... *drools*

ANYWAY.. Robert, I did in fact customize the body of the XL-1s but it's not just painted as if it were paint from a store. It's a mix of screening inks and paint I got specially for it, and sprayed it on.. very carefully. I was very happy with the results, and not one button/screen was covered over. IMO looks a TON better.
Old January 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM   #7
Wrangler

Putchyohandstogetha

I just noticed: This band is playing the Vista Concert at Saint Ignatius this Saturday. Tastycakes is headlining. Are you going, Kevin?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

No, I'll be in Seattle filming an extreme sports event. I will be at their show after that which also is their last show before they take a break from playing shows to write new material. Are you going, Robert? St. Ig (the one on the west side, right?) is right down the road from where I live. I live off of Denison and Fulton on a lil side street (W. 46th PL).
Old January 21st, 2004, 01:40 PM   #9
Wrangler

Yep. (I live in Ohio City. Looks like you live next to the zoo? Your phone number differs from mine by one digit.)

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Kevin,

That's your new Magiqcam is it not? Any in depth thoughts/reviews about how it's performing. I've flown a Hollywood Lite system before...wasn't bad.

A friend of mine is purchasing the IIA very soon and we're both gonna log hours on it once he gets it. Any tips?

Thanks,

Barry
Barry Cheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Yes, that's the new Magiqcam. The more weight, the more stable. It moves so smoothly that you have to be very sure to keep it level as best you can at all times. The footage produced there was not the best example of the Magiqcam as I was purposely shaking it, and I hadn't had too much usage with it yet. I recently used it in Seattle to film an extreme skating event with the lowdog mode and I was VERY pleased with it's results. The new Magiqcam also has a Bogen quick release mount, it's nifty I hear but I don't have it on mine yet. I still have to send it in when my production schedules calm down a bit and get it added.
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:28 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Awesome..is that monitor in the pic from Magiqcam? Or have you added your own monitor. If not attached via a bogen quick release plate how is it being done right now? Standard camera plate?

Looking forward to what kind of results you've gotten.

What kind of other gear do you have?
Barry Cheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I attached the Nebtek 7" monitor on there. It doesn't come with the Magiqcam. Right now the camera is attatched via a camera screw, through a hole in the sled's top table plate.

Too much other gear to list really.. From film camera systems and assorted video cameras, lighting, audio, camera support, down the nick-knacks like time-code clapper slates. We've got everything we need for full-service production.
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Hmm.. you didn't respond to the guy who asked you about the color of the camera.

:)
Old February 18th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I liked it how did you film in that widescreen it looks like 2.35
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work