A quick trailer for my new movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old February 11th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #1
New Boot

A quick trailer for my new movie

Hello there,

I've been working my proverbial buttocks off doing interviews for my movie, but I'm really, really loving it.

I've posted a quick trailer-like thing for my movie to http://www.weirdkids.com/movie/killingcasslake.wmv

It's 15 megs in size and runs about 4 minutes long.

If you are interested, please give me feedback. I love honest feedback. I don't bruise easily. :)

I know that one clip is hard to hear, it was my first "real" interview and in my nervousness I didn't notice that the subject was sitting right in front of a fish tank. ARG! Oh, well I'm learning.

I've turned into a background noise cop, since then so my recent interviews are a lot cleaner noise-wise.

Thanks,

Leo
Leo Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Looks like you've got some great material to work with.

The fish tank was kind of funny, sounded like the old man had some bladder control problems.

My only thought is, I don't think you need the music running the entire time in the background. Cut it up a bit and use the music for emphasis in selected places.

Look forward to the finished product.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the feedback Bryan. My wife said the same thing about the music.
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Dialogue is the main problem. Otherwise it looked okay (with
an occasional camera stutter which doesn't look very professional).
It was an emotional stuff because of the content and the way
people talked (understandable).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Leo, I like the subject matter. It is an emotional subject that should lend itself to some rich, emotional interpretations. I agree that you don't need music the whole time -- breaking it up will make me focus on what people are saying. The camera stutter is jarring, but I bet you could avoid most of that with some creative use of b-roll.... I don't usually want to be looking at the subject for the entire interview anyway.

The fish tank sound was annoying as you know. In fact, as I think back on that scene, I don't remember what the guy was talking about, but I know he was near a fish tank. You might see what you can do to minimize that sound and bring out his voice more in post.

Good luck in your further development.
James Nyfeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:20 AM   #6
New Boot

James and Rob,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to ditch the clips from the "fish tank" interview. I've tried to fix the sound, but it ends up sounding like a robot talking.

Luckily, I have about twenty hours of other footage to go to so far.

I agree that the camera stutter is jarring. James, I think I will use your advice about the b-roll.

I have about thirty more interviews to go. Then I'm going to start cutting everything up and try to put it together to make an (hopefully) interesting story out of it.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Leo, very interesting stuff. I have attended hundreds of public meetings such as this and I know the impact these old facilities have on communities. I would add a short bit in the begining explaining when the site closed, this would be a great place to do "b" roll of historic photos Also, like the others dump the music. Also, you can use "b" roll of current conditions during interviews. I like the subject, I have dozens on hours of sites in the southeast. Have you interviewed Dr. Mark Johnson with the ATSDR in that region for a health evaluation of this site? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #8
New Boot

Hello Bob,

I purchased a USB powered scanner so that when I go on interviews now, I can scan any photos that people have into my laptop. Hopefully this will lead to a lot more photos that I can use as my B Roll.

I've been in contact with the EPA, The Leech Lake Indian Reservation Natural Resources Division and the Minnesota Department of health, but I never thought of contacting ATSDR.

I've been reading the ATSDR website since I saw your post and It's great. I have a list of chemicals that are of concern in this neighborhood, but the ATSDR website makes it a lot easier to see what the risks are from each chemical. Thanks!

I've have two more interviews this week. I went to interview a gentleman that is dying from leukemia today and he had forgotten about our interview. When I got to his house he had a few drinks in him so we agreed to reschedule. :)

I showed a cleaned up version of some of the clips from my film to a scientist from the Minnesota Department of Health and she joked that I am going to end up creating a lot of work for her. She also asked to be in the film. :)

If anyone has a shotgun mic or a wired lav mic for sale for cheap, please let me know...

Sorry, I'm babbling.... I get excited about telling this story.
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #9
Trustee

Leo, I do hundreds of these. The guy dying plays on emotions and not always the true story. Go for a different angle and see what the Feds and State have to say. ATSDR also has a Office of Tribal Offairs. Mark can get you the number or I can look it up. If you want to talk more email me at work. ras7@cdc.gov I am Marks counterpart in region 4. Use the work video in the heading. bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work