DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Homemade Stock Video Footage Site (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/213419-homemade-stock-video-footage-site.html)

Dan Licht April 18th, 2009 10:08 PM

Homemade Stock Video Footage Site

After looking at several stock footage sites (and their terms) I decided to make my own site at HDNatureFootage - HDNatureFootage.net to sell my video clips (I still use the big name sites for some footage). Its modified from CreLoaded (about $250). Overall I'm quite happy with it. Not only does it work for selling some material, its also good for organizing my footage.

Of course the real trick is to get it search engines to find it which I've done for the entire site, but not so well for individual clips. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Bradley Ouellette April 18th, 2009 11:08 PM

Seems like an easy and simple site. Nice!

What CMS did you use?

Dan Licht April 19th, 2009 05:44 PM

Bradley - Thanks for the feedback. Okay, at the risk of sounding stupid - what's "CMS"?

Bradley Ouellette April 19th, 2009 10:34 PM

CMS stands for Content Management System. They are like a system you download and upload to your server for your website. Like Drupal, Wordpress, MKportal, Jumla, etc...

If you custom coded that all, I would be astonished.

Dan Licht April 20th, 2009 11:50 AM

Aaagh, no, nothing like that. My software for operating the site consists primarily of CreLoaded, Dreamweaver, and FileZilla.

I enter the price, description, keywords, and other data for each "product" (i.e., each clip), including the name of the product's thumbnail image and the flv file, into a spreadsheet. I then convert the spreadsheet to a tab-delimited text file. CreLoaded has a feature to upload text files and use the records to populate the mysql database. I then use FileZilla to upload the media content, i.e., the thumbnails and flv files. Dreamweaver was used to modify the website, but I don't really need it for managing the content.

Did I answer the question? If not let me know. Thanks again for the replies.

Shawn Kessler May 2nd, 2009 11:53 AM

question

Why would someone pay 2 to 5 hundred dollars for 30 seconds of HD footage
Sorry I just see why????

Dennis Murphy May 5th, 2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kessler (Post 1136455)
Why would someone pay 2 to 5 hundred dollars for 30 seconds of HD footage
Sorry I just see why????

Not many Buffalo running around down here in New Zealand. So if I needed footage of a couple of them fighting, the price of airfare, accomodation, domestic travel etc would add up to the price of a new camera.
I think 2-5 hundred dollars would not only be significantly cheaper, but would take 30 minutes to pay for and download versus a week of my precious time in terms of getting what would only end up as 15 seconds worth of airplay for my anti-impotence medication that I'm advertising, using two powerful Buffalo getting their testosterone happening (for example).

Shawn Kessler May 8th, 2009 05:40 PM

I see your point

If you have a big budget or better yet some else is paying for. I guess that would be the way to go but, for me I do my own stock footage and Im glad I do lol! seeing what people pay.

Shawn

Luke Tingle May 18th, 2009 12:28 AM

Compared to the mainstream stock sites prices he's not far off. Also, I cannot find any good wildlife footage on the mainstream stock sites. I'll be sure to check this out next time I need stock wildlife footage.

Paul Whittington May 20th, 2009 08:01 PM

The site looks great Dan! I've been wanting to set up something like this myself for awhile now - given that I live on Vancouver Island I have tons of great eagle shots and other nature footage. Could you list a few of the stock footage you know of and you're opinions on them in general? Do you find you sell more on your own site?