DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Check Out These Dv Commercials (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/21727-check-out-these-dv-commercials.html)

Joseph Perez February 21st, 2004 04:18 PM

Check Out These Dv Commercials

Hello to all,

Joe Perez here - I've been using a SONY VX-2000 and some lights I picked up at Home Depot -

I shot 3 commercials, all on DV.. you can view them at..

http://www.xenofilms.com

Let me know what you guys think,

thanks,

joe

Frank Granovski February 21st, 2004 05:00 PM

Welcome to dvinfo, Joseph! And thanks for the link!

Charles King February 21st, 2004 05:05 PM

I'm very impress with your work. DV! wow. Did you use any filmlook program when you were editing? Nice work.

Joseph Perez February 21st, 2004 05:28 PM

color correction

Thanx Charles,

Yes - I used After Effects for the color correction -
all filters that come with the Pro-Bundle - not any plug-ins

But the key to good looking DV is good lighting.

Thanx again,

joe P

Bryan McCullough February 21st, 2004 07:53 PM

Pretty sweet Joe.

Did you actually do these for the companies or are these just test pieces you made?

Joseph Perez February 21st, 2004 08:37 PM

Bryan,

No - these are just little experiments I did -

Right now I'm gearing up to shoot a few 35mm spots.
and a couple more DV spots.

thanx for checking them out,

regards,

joe P

Peter Richardson February 21st, 2004 09:30 PM

Joseph--That's great to hear you are doing a spec reel. I'm going to start shooting mine here in a few weeks up in Oregon. I read on your bio that you are at the Art Center, what do you think? Your work looks great. Did you use classmates for crew or find people to work for free? Have you considered shooting your other DV spots with a DVX100 and mini35 package? I shot a spot with the DVX100 that you can see here: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/video.html --the one that has the product with a sunset in the background. Good luck with your reel and be sure to keep us updated on your progress!

peter

Joseph Perez February 21st, 2004 09:44 PM

Hello Peter,

Checked out the spot - Looks great - Like the camera moves -

actually for the spots on my site I didn't use a crew..

It was just me and the actor. Same with the editing and effects.

These were just little experiments, playing with light, and visual aesthetics...

I plan on shooting 35mm soon - and High Def with a pro crew down here in LA very soon.

We should keep in touch - I would love to see your other work.

email me - joe@xenofilms.com

thanks,

and good luck with all your creative endeavors,

Joe P

Dylan Couper February 22nd, 2004 01:18 AM

Joseph
Excellent editing work, good camera work too.

Some specific feedback
The BMW commercial, as pretty as it was, it would be a failure as a commercial. The purpose of a commercial is to further brand identity, or promote a product. Yours does neither. That's OK though, because you did it for different reasons than a manufacturer would. Just fire your writer! ;)

Sony:
Great commercial. Looks familliar though. Not sure if I've seen almost the same thing before, but for a different project. Anyway, this one is still my favorite.

X-Box:
Meh. Pretty will only get you so far. There was no real substance to this one. I might not have noticed if it was only 30 seconds, but the 1 minute time frame was enough for me to wonder what the point was. Shoot your director, but give the editor a raise. If I was going to put this on a directors reel, I'd cut it to 30 seconds. For an editor, I'd leave it.

Overall, I'd hire you as an editor in a heartbeat. Your work is some of the flashiest, best put together content I've seen here in quite a while.

Joseph Perez February 22nd, 2004 01:26 AM

Hello Dylan,

Thanx for the feedback. These aren't suppose to be real spots - They are more like experiments. Each being shot over a weekend. Yeah - I guess I could shoot myself as a director -

I need to shoot more - but thank you - best feedback I've had so far...

overall - not too shaby for $200 bucks and a few weekends..

Cheers..

Joe P

Dylan Couper February 24th, 2004 09:44 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Joseph Perez : Hello Dylan,

Thanx for the feedback. These aren't suppose to be real spots - They are more like experiments. Each being shot over a weekend. Yeah - I guess I could shoot myself as a director -

I need to shoot more - but thank you - best feedback I've had so far...

overall - not too shaby for $200 bucks and a few weekends..

Cheers..

Joe P -->>>

Are you kidding? For $200 they are phenomenal!!!

:)

Bryan McCullough February 26th, 2004 11:30 PM

Joe,

Any tutorials that you'd like to give on how you made the spots?

Kevin Maistros March 2nd, 2004 08:27 AM

I was a fan of the sony commercial the most. BMW was good but too high-contrast for my liking.

Very good, though. I'd really like to see what you do with the 35mm and any future stuff you have coming up.

John Gaspain March 8th, 2004 04:22 AM

Dood...dood...seriously dood. That stuff is good.

I liked the Sony one the best.

and I second what Dylan said, but seriosly dood that stuff is good.

gas

Ozzie Leon March 8th, 2004 12:12 PM

Dylan your crazy dude, the BMW one was sweet, it was not the typical car driving/someone talking about the car/picking up the kids type commercial. Please note I am not slaming you but his commercials are very unique. The xbox was off the hook and the sony one was really sweet too. Keep up the good work dude.

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : Joseph
Excellent editing work, good camera work too.

Some specific feedback
The BMW commercial, as pretty as it was, it would be a failure as a commercial. The purpose of a commercial is to further brand identity, or promote a product. Yours does neither. That's OK though, because you did it for different reasons than a manufacturer would. Just fire your writer! ;)

Sony:
Great commercial. Looks familliar though. Not sure if I've seen almost the same thing before, but for a different project. Anyway, this one is still my favorite.

X-Box:
Meh. Pretty will only get you so far. There was no real substance to this one. I might not have noticed if it was only 30 seconds, but the 1 minute time frame was enough for me to wonder what the point was. Shoot your director, but give the editor a raise. If I was going to put this on a directors reel, I'd cut it to 30 seconds. For an editor, I'd leave it.

Overall, I'd hire you as an editor in a heartbeat. Your work is some of the flashiest, best put together content I've seen here in quite a while. -->>>