Par-t-Com.net - 3 new shorts! 48 hour competition musical! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Par-t-Com.net - 3 new shorts! 48 hour competition musical!

Hey everyone, Devin and I have recently updated www.par-t-com.net with our second projects created for 200c, our Video Production 1 course at Ohio University.

All of our 200c projects can be found here: http://www.par-t-com.net/200c_feature.html

IMHO Devin's "Fade Away" rocks the house, and my "Transient Inc." is a random little excuse to try some effects. Anyway, please let us know what you think of them!

In other news, the par-t-com core extended its crew to a massive 11 people for Shoot Out, our school's 48 hour film competition, 2 weekends ago. Devin and I won the competition last year with our break-out piece, Mr. Boombastic. The judging is still up in the air this year, but you can view the piece now by clicking
"Detonate" on our media page: http://www.par-t-com.net/media.html

Our prompts were:
Prop- Suitcase
Line- "Where did I put the remote control?"
Genre- Musical

With the immense help of Nick Hamilton, a drummer in a local band here at OU, and Jeff Rosenberg, a theater major, we wrote and recorded a musical in 48 hours. We shot in one night for a straight 10 hours, and worked on post for the rest of the weekend. Needless to say, the weekend was about the most fun any of us have ever had working on a project, and we hope you enjoy "Detonate" as much as we have. (we've been watching on loop pretty much since we made it)

Spencer Houck
Devin Doyle
& the extended par-t-com crew

-PS. Rob, thankfully we both received "A"s on our first projects, so I guess the professor liked 'em!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Haha, oh my god, that was great! Lol, that was so damn funny...i loved it when "Johnboy" started singing. A classic parody of movie musicals that worked out real nicely. You guys are coming out with some really great stuff and I support you guys 100% I almost couldn't tell that Detonate was made in such a short time period, it was really a great piece of work. I haven't seen the other two shorts yet, but I will as soon as I finish writing my comment. Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying it all!
Chris Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Permanently Banned

Hey,

just wanted to let you know that I am really impressed with your stuff. Very good framing and camerawork. Your stuff definitely sticks out in a good way man
Marty Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice title sequence on Detonate.
Lathe Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:34 PM   #5
Major Player

just watched 10:15.. ha you really like tha kpax soundtrack eh?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yo everyone, thanks for watching.

Chris, "Johnboy" seems to really be striking a chord in us all. We were linked off of some community blog site and received 1500 viewings of Detonate in just 4 days! His valient message to "Find value in all, through piece of mind." is one we all must learn to live by. lol

Marty, thanks for the comments, the high-gloss of your production and website work is quite impressive as well.

Lathe, thanks especially for this one cause the title sequence was all me. I used 3 still photos, After Effects, and 6 hours to animate and render it. Always feels good to have someone point out your work, thanks.

Yang, yeah we do. We, unlike most people, actually enjoyed K-Pax the film as well, dunno why it's got such a bad wrap. Anyway we felt it fit the tone of the piece and was much less hassle than attempting to find a composer/recorder that could beat out Edward Shearmur.

Anyone have any comments on the 200c projects? I believe Devin's third and final piece "Greenhouse Effect" is now online. with my "She Doesn't Know" following shortly thereafter.
Check it out!

Thanks again,
Spence
Old March 7th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

1500 viewings of Detonate?

Just a question... are you counting HITS or VISITS? People are always claiming hits, but this is actually a very deceiving number. Unique visits is really what counts. We get on average about 1400 hits per day... but this amounts to about 150 visits per day.

Just thought I would check and see which one you are counting as viewings.

But as you should know... I'm not bashing you guys, 'cause you know I like your work!

It's simply that I would love to say we get 1500 viewings a day, but alas that would be inaccurate.
Old March 7th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Permanently Banned

By the way...

K=Pax was a great movie.
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Marty, no offense taken, and amazingly it was 1,500 viewings. On Wednesday March 3rd, par-t-com.net received 88,000 hits; 1,100 unique visits; and 12 gigs of transfer. Since Detonate has been posted on March 1st, the detonate_small.mov file has has been viewed more than 1500 times! I'm not fully aware of how many of these are the same people re-downloading the file as my host's stats page doesn't show a unique IP list for file viewing stats.

Needless to say, Devin, me, and the rest of the Detonate crew were blown away by the numbers. So was our host, cause we're comin' a little too close to our 30 gig/month bandwidth limit for comfort and it's only march 7th! Thanks to a friend we're now mirroring the Detonate file on a host without a bandwidth limit to help ease the load.

Thanks again everyone for your continuing support of par-t-com.net,
Spencer Houck
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Detonate Update

Hey, so I figure I'd update this 'ol thread with some new goings on with Detonate.

First off, Detonate was accepted and screened at the Athens Film + Video Festival in the comedy/animation show here at Ohio University.
http://www.athensfest.org

And because of that festival we could fannagle our way into IMDb! Everyone's dream.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0406705/

Then, just recently we found out that we were awarded a Regional Student Emmy (for South-Eastern Ohio, yay!) for our work on Detonate.

So all in all things have gone quite well for us and this 48 hour accident we like to call Detonate.

Oh yeah, we got DQ'd from the original competition for being 5 minutes late handing the tape in.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work