Trailer for one of my projects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old March 15th, 2004, 09:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trailer for one of my projects

Here is a 30 second trailer weighing in at 13.4 MB for something that I have put on the back burner for awhile. The trailer really doesn't explain any of the plot, but you'll get the gist of it, hopefully.

The project is called "A Killer Weekend", and it is about a couple of buddies who go up to the cabin in the mountains for a weekend of fishing, etc. Wheeee!!!

Click here to download.
13.4 MB Quicktime.

Lemme know what you think.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

When Moon Boots attack!
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Ted - your movements with the camera really build an energy. The wipe with the car and against the steadicam shot was nice. I think you had some great ideas with some of your shots, I think what I felt was missing were closer MS's or CU's which can really build suspense at the right places. It was meant well to only show the moon boots of the killer, (I suppose that's what he is) but your shots just weren't varied enough. Again, it was just mainly LS to LS with an ocassional MS which never allowed me to feel any connection or intimacy with the characters. One example I was thinking of was maybe for your last shot where the guy in the jeans turns around when startled, a cut to a CU of his face as then you have the red flash thing. Finally, your title at the end looked a little pixelated - your video quality was great but the font looked like it had been blown up or something...... These are just MO and you may completely disagree with me - I'd like to see the final product! Best of luck, cheers.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The blocky font is the result of the compression. The color red hates to be compressed, I think. Thanks for the comments so far!
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:24 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

I agree with what the rest has said. Nice trailer. May I suggest
some color correction to take the video-ish look of it a bit?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice shots but I didn't get anything from the trailer I don't know what the movies about or anything
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

I can't really tell you what color correction to do. That totally
depends on where you want to go with the look. Experiment
with the tools available!

The S-Curve is a "known trick" to remove a lot of the video-ish
look. I don't know what software you are using but does it have
color curves? If so, change the line from a straight line to a very
flattened S like curve where you pull the bottom down a bit and
raise the top.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #8
Permanently Banned

Well, there definitely wasn't enough substance to this trailer. I mean, I didn't even see any shots that really looked tense and/or scary. A couple of running shots, and then a guy hopping next to the lake. And to create more tension, sometimes you need some really nice close-ups, but there weren't any. Everything felt to open. Maybe I don't know how to describe it. It just didn't work for me. I'm the kind of person who will watch a trailer with and without music. Music is there for a reason, but if it doesn't look good without music, then there's not enough to get my attention. I watched your trailer without music first. And here's the funny thing. I had no idea it was a horror or thriller movie. It was when I put the music that it hit me. You should always be able to tell at the very least what kind of movie it is without the music.

There was definitely some good potential shots in there though. So don't think I'm trying to discourage you. You just need to add more substance.
Marty Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #9
Trustee

Ted, while the audio adds tension, there really could stand to be more tension in the actual visual aspects of the piece. Agreed with what was said earlier, that close-ups could help add more tension. If you don't really have the footage to make this happen, then some color and contrast adjustment to make it darker and more morose looking may help significantly.

Also, nice steadi shots - those definitely helped in an Evil Dead sort of way.

Marty, while I can see somewhere in there is some constructive criticism, I'm sure it would be much appreciated if your wording was a bit more positive and professional.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work