5 1/2min short film - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old September 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Hey Rich,

I just yesterday bought an XL1s and also just joined this forum. I came across your work and must say that I was thrilled to see the quality of work that could be created with the camera. I loved all your pieces very much, but I especially loved the "Drugs" piece. I hate to ask, for a magician never likes to give away his secrets, but I must ask how you achieved the screen shake effect? This is an effect I've been trying to figure out since "Fight Club". If you don't mind giving it up, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks alot man,
Nick Foster
Nicholas Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2004, 01:43 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys,

We shall see how it does on triggerstreet, although, im pretty sure it wont make it into the next rounds, 2-3 of the films in the top 10 i can see getting in no prob. and i think there are 1 or 2 more in there that outshine precursor, so i definitly dont have my hopes up for it. glad its doing as well as it is.

Nick- the shaky cam i did for the drugs thing was done by being pretty loose with the hand held stuff. leting it get a little funky. then i did a bunch of warps in AE to get it to be wiggly.

But what i did in that is different then what they did in fight club. To get the effect that they did in fight club, what you gotta do is...

put the camera on a tripod, then shake the hell out of it. then bring your footage into after effects, and pick a point that "should" be in the middle of frame had you not shaked the hell out of the camera. anyway, find that point, and "pin" it to the center of frame, you will have to animate the position of the clip at every frame to keep that point in the center. but in the end, when you play it back it will have that cool fight club shaky feel.

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 09:04 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Very impressive indeed. How long did it take you from scratch to get to the level (experience) you are now? I am starting to learn videography to record music/misc. videos for my friends and families.

Lastly, your guestbook is not working on your website.
Kevin Kwak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work