DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Music Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/23268-music-video.html)

Corey MacGregor March 20th, 2004 08:09 PM

Music Video

This is my newest music video just finished this weekend. It's for a local Vancouver band called All State Champion. Just a simple performance video shot in the bands practice space. Let me know what you guys think of it. Any critiques would be appreciated. Thanks for watching!

http://www.terraform.tv/preview/allstatechampion.html

Keith Loh March 21st, 2004 02:01 AM

Quite good. I've seen the style a hundred times before but it's well done. In a real music video you would probably want to intersperse this with other themes as looking at the entire song length with the same style I think is pretty tiring.

What gear, methods, etc?

Rob Lohman March 21st, 2004 10:56 AM

Looking good. Did I see vignetting in the corners? How did that
happen since it is letterboxed?

Rich Lee March 21st, 2004 12:31 PM

Not bad for a performance video, the editing keeps it moving most of the way through. good work.

I have some technical suggestion.

It feels like you are going for a dirty film look, if so i think you need to take it further. if that is the route you are going for, you may want to blow the hightlights out a bit, increase the contrast, and drop the saturation a bit. also, i think i noticed some scratches but i cant tell because of the compression...did u add some? if so maybe put some more in. maybe put some grain in as well. see if u can get your hand on "film clutter" a cd full of film artifacts, i think u can find bits of it on the net, if u dont have some already. You added the vignetting too? how about a hotspot in the middle. anyway, im being really picky. i would check out the perfect circle video for judith that fincher did. oh one last thing, for when the video goes to white on the transitions, it looks like u might be using some sort of glow effect. i find the best way to achieve that blow out effect is to animate the input white of the levels from 255-0. and it only needs to be about 3-5 frames. anyway, all this is just my opinion.

Keep rockin dude!

Corey MacGregor March 22nd, 2004 02:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This video was shot in a hurry because the band had an opportunity to submit a video for a music video dvd compilation. We only had 2 hours to setup and shoot this video so there wasn't really any room for too much creativity and i only had a week or so to edit it, which isn't much since i work full time. I was kinda going for a 16mm kinda look, not too dirty, just some faint scratches and some grain. These are pretty much invisible on the web version but actually looks really good when viewed on a tv set. I also added the vignetting, i just like the way it looks.

Gear used:

gl2
gl1
2- 1k photoflex softboxes
1 500watt worklight
fcp 3
after effects

John Britt March 23rd, 2004 01:44 PM

Corey

Good looking work...

What sort of post work did you do to the video? Is it just color correction and curves in After Effects, or more? I ask because it seems like I can't make my video look like anything but video. Ignoring the obvious "film-like" effects you put into the video (like the superimposed leader), how did you achieve the color, saturation, and tone of these shots? I won't say it necessarily looked "film-like," per se, but it looked a little more "finished," or more well-produced, than what I seem to get.

Corey MacGregor March 23rd, 2004 03:13 PM

John:

For this project in post i used "rgb color balance" and "curves". I also used cinelook filmdamage for grain and scratches. After this project I learned how important it is to pay attention to the colors that your subject is wearing and the colors of the surrounding set. With this video it was really hard to get the band members to look good without making the walls of the room looking all f**ked up. But the single most important thing to make your video look professional is the lighting. No matter how good you are in post, if you don't have good looking source footage there's only so much you can do with it.

Kyle Kauss April 5th, 2004 12:33 PM

It was an okay video dude, good job