DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   First Wedding Video Comments (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/234160-first-wedding-video-comments.html)

David Horwitz April 27th, 2009 03:59 PM

First Wedding Video Comments

Hi all, this is my first wedding video edit: test

I also posted this in a thread where I had asked about whether or not to put in camera audio vs. music. I got tired of editing, so I just decided to render this to get user opinions first.

Please feel free to give me recommendations for changes you think would make this better. I would much appreciate it. I do know that I need to invest in lighting, and I forgot to put the windscreen on the Zoom H2 during the interviews, so there's breath hitting the mic capsules during some of the interviews. Also maybe a better tripod, and I plan to build a Stabilizer Flex for handheld shots. There was some camera shake going on.

I think the quality of this file is ok, however, because I had so many edits Vegas kept crashing during export, so I exported wav and mpeg 2 (to also create a DVD) and then put them back into Vegas to frameserve to the flash encoder, so it might have been better if I could have directly frameserved the first time around.

Thanks!!

Stephen Grubb April 28th, 2009 04:41 AM

advice

Hi David

Here's my advice for future weddings. Definately get yourself a sturdy fluid head tripod. If possible use a camera that works well in low light for the evening time. I would avoid lights where possible. I usually ask well before the wedding if the couple would mind the lights in the venue being turned up a bit for the first dance as this avoids having a light shining in their faces. Film the first dance handheld (stabilizer switched on), and move around the couple as they dance. This will give you a variety of dynamic shots that you can edit out of sequence after if desired. Keep the camera on auto focus and make sure the exposure is locked for this.

Arrive well before the wedding and film plenty of cut away footage of the building, flowers, archatectural features etc, etc. If your positioned in front of the guests while waiting for the bride, take close up shots of guests, especially if they are not talking, as this gives good cutaways for the ceremony.

Only use creep zoom (especially during the ceremony) unless your going for some dynamic fast zooms on purpose. Where you have to make a quick change of frame you can use your cutaways to hide the transition.

I would say that you're doing a good job for the first time and no doubt you've already learnt a great deal. As far as the edit goes, it all depends on the footage you have to work with. Variety is the spice of life. Close ups mid shots and wide. On a one camera shoot I usually have about 6 hours of footage to edit down to around 90 minutes.
It can be a slog at times, but you'll get there.
Hope this helps in some way.

Stephen

Buba Kastorski April 30th, 2009 08:10 PM

Deleted already?