DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   And now, a video without any pictures... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/234884-now-video-without-any-pictures.html)

Matt Davis May 7th, 2009 01:11 PM

And now, a video without any pictures...

... or script or narration or interviews for that matter.

I was doing some atmos recording for a forthcoming shoot, whilst also trying out my new binaural microphones. So... started pushing clips around and tried editing them as if it were video. Books having the best quality visuals and all that. Here's the result:

The Pits

Please, pretty please, if you do check this out, please can you do with with earphones on, and ensure they're the 'right way round'. It's binaural.

I've got lots of great take-home lessons from it all. Meanwhile, sit back, close your eyes and smell the brake fluid...

NB: this is a 16 bit 44.1 KHz version in 160 kbps MP3 which I swear knocks it back a bit. The 24 bit 96 KHz version is, erm, eye popping.

Mike Demmers May 7th, 2009 02:58 PM

Now that's what I call a good movie. No visuals to interfere with your enjoyment of the audio, and no stupid plot or underscore to get in the way of the effects: its all effects, all the time! ;-)

The only thing that could make it better is if one of the race cars hit the guy with the air hammer that was apparently tearig up the track they were running on.

So what was it?

Jecklin disk? Head type setup? What Mics?

Too bad the compression will screw up some of the fine phase details that make this sort of thing really work well.

-Mike

Matt Davis May 7th, 2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Demmers (Post 1139416)
So what was it?

A non-racing track day for racing cars of all vintages, when I only had pit-lane access.

<whack!>

Sorry. But seriously, it was all recorded on an Edirol R09-HR in 24/96 with a Sound Professionals in-ear mic pair:

Sound Professionals TFB-2

It was quite odd - even zen-like - to be a microphone stand. I tried a few walking shots (with full-on heal-toe steadicam action) and whilst this worked well in the high quality version, it's a bit woolly in the web version.

I should have got more 'close-ups', and I lost continuity in the stereo picture a few times (should have kept my back to the pits at all times). One take that didn't quite make the final edit was cars to the left joining the track to the right, but the wind was just too much. Would have liked to have seen if there really was an 'in front, behind' moment within it though.

Also I missed two key opportunities to i) wire up a driver and ii) get into the passenger seat of that astonishingly loud Jaguar that had its boots changed. Next time, next time...

Matt Davis May 7th, 2009 03:25 PM

Post got mysteriously duplicated.