music vid - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 1st, 2004, 08:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

That's great work Colin, and for being so young you have quite the extensive resume. I wish I was where you're at when I was 18.

At any rate, the music video is pretty damn good, with a few niggling areas that need work, but for the most part it's aces.

I checked out your site. I love how you don't pull any punches and get down to the bare bones of what being a teenager growing up these days is like. I liken your cinema Verte to such inspired films as thirteen, Kids, Gummo, and L.I.E.

What film school are you attending?

Was choice based on a true story, or at least losely based on experiences you've had or heard about growing up?

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Trevor T
Trevor Trombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Great work. You know how to keep the viewer watching the scene and have done great work with no budget. Inspiration to us all.

A couple of questions. How many days did it take to shoot? How long did it take to edit. Which NLE did you use?

Thanks and good luck on your next video.
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Choice wasnt based off anything in particular... and the only film ive seen off that list you said Trevor, is kids. But i can understand how you can sort of liken maybe Choice to that.

Im attending AI in Burnaby... i dont recommend it.. waste of money in general and its only a digital video program. But I am happy with it because i have tons of kids willing to help me in anything i do now...and i love living in Vancouver over my old town of 2500ppl.

Anthony, the video was shot throughout 7 different days. And it took about a week to edit.

I use Ulead Media Studio Pro and edit on a pc with 1.8gz 400gigs and 1024mb....
Colin Minihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 02:11 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Where are you originally from Colin?

At any rate, I've been watching the numerous films you've done from your site, and while I enjoy most of what you've done. I have this to say.

Let the story tell itself, take your time, You have these sequences that are bang bang bang with editing, but you can slow down and take your time and show the story, not the G whiz camera angles, and MTV infused edits.

You've got an eye for composition, but that doesn't mean we need to see ten different angles for a scene when only two will do. In fact I'd love to see a disciplined short that is a complete departure for you thematically as well as aesthetically. Use Kurosawa and Kubrick as a reference.

Less is more, simplify.

You have a natural eye for action oriented stuff, but for quieter moments we want a quieter camera. And this was displayed in your short "New Video" (?) Not sure if that's the exact title. But in Choice, after the main character is beaten you have him walk through the school with fast paced cuts and visual flare. This stuff is superfluous.

I don't mean to bring you down or anything, after all you put me to shame for sheer work ethic and talent, but I think you need to realize you're good enough to let the story tell itself without the over visualization. Keep up what you are doing and you'll be the next big thing.

Trevor T
Trevor Trombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:42 AM   #20
Regular Crew

yeah, i know my flaws and i agree with what you said. I am begining to realize that i dont need to move as fast as i used to. As you said with New Tape i didnt... which was my purpose for doing that film... testing if i could hold on shots for a lot longer and not cut nearly as much.. yet maintain a good flowing film, which i think i accomplished and therefore call that my best work. Other works which i made throughout highschool exemplify a more MTV based style of editing I agree.. and although i think it works very good in action orientated stuff, i think it falls short in slower moments.. they are in a sence over edited..... New Tape, and the Whats In Your Playground psa are the 2 that dont fallow the same sort of mtv thing and those are the kind of productions i prefer to make... . But first i will be doing 2 mtv style things.. another music video.. and a commercial.

ps: today i went to the worst psa competition ever... a highschool girls video taht looked like it wasnt even edited.. and i could hear camera hum won a 2500 scholorship over Whats in Your Playground... i was hardcore shafted.. so i have already been broughted down a few levels tonight.... even other kids that had their psas in comp came up to me and said i was shafted. i hate micky mouse competitions. Now i will have 0 dollars towards school next year.. i think the only option is to start writing a feature length screen play and start scouting talented actors now.

also, you asked where i was from originally... a small town called Port McNeill .. its on vancouver island.. the northerin tip... it is like my dad said "the edge of the earth".... and there is no theatre. NO THEATRE!!! i grew up not watching movies in the theatre and resenting my town for it.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:19 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Colin.

Great work. I have seen some of your other films and I really like the look of them.

It is great to see a young guy rock...
I am 17 and has been interested in films since I was 9 years old. Right now I am doing a documentary and a short entitled: " LUDO"...
It is great to see young people making films...

You will be big...
Christian Hede Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:07 AM   #22
Regular Crew

nice video dude. What web hosting service do you use?...just wondering because you have huge video files on your site so you must have killer bandwith and storage space.

us young video dudes will one day rule the industry.

rock.
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 10:08 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Yeah that video is awesome dude very good job.

can I post the link at a different site dude I want to show this to some other people
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:47 PM   #24
Regular Crew

post a link wherever you want man... dont need to ever ask somthing like that.. just go ahead and do it. I want all the audiance i can get.

as a host i use ipowerweb
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:15 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks Man I posted it and I wanna let oyu know I put the video in collection of favorite music videos on my hard drive I really liked it. Keep em coming
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2004, 09:40 AM   #26
Major Player

Colin excellent work! I think I liked that one better than the Normalcy video which was also very good. The shots looked really nice. I like the handheld technique, its actually hard to make that handheld style look good but you've got it dialed!
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 11:40 PM   #27
New Boot

Hey Colin just joined the forum... already in love with your work!

God damn you rock!

Quick question...

- Did you shoot the shower scene with the camera in the shower... how did you waterproof it (if you did)?

And also one of my favorite shots - when one of the girls is in bed and the camera shot is turned sideways (about 1:05 into the video)... you seem to like that shot, I presume, since you used it in the "5 Minutes" video, too.

Good Luck! And hope to see you hit it big!
Kirill Bichutsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #28
Regular Crew

naw ... the camera was just outside the shower... but it did get pretty wet... i had to dry it off and hope it didnt die

and dude.. i never realized i used a shot like that in 5 minutes.. good eye.. i actually shot lots of angles of her doing that.. but i used that one... i guess i do like it.
Old April 12th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #29
Regular Crew

You have talent. That is all.

Eddie
Edward Natale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #30
Tourist

Yes, a lot of talents.

Good work Colin. I watched all your work, and it's really impressive!
Sylvain C. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work