DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   music vid (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/23840-music-vid.html)

Colin Minihan March 31st, 2004 01:38 AM

music vid

just finished.. well i think finished this music video... took a while..

www.smiley-films.com/soldout.wmv

i dont know if its final or not yet.

Nicholi Brossia March 31st, 2004 02:20 AM

Very good. The intro was excellent, especially the last home movie shot that flashed to them on the train. The entire video was edited very well. There are a couple cuts that really caught my eye though. When the brunette is riding in the car and rips the photo, you cut from directly in front of the photo to directly behind the photo. By ripping to the left of screen in the first shot and cutting to her ripping to the right of screen in the second, you've created a false reverse. That threw me off kilter for a second or two. Also, earlier in the video, the feather falling to the floor is another weird cut. It looks like you used the feather as a transition from one girlfriend to the next (if I've understood that correctly) and it worked well.

Overall, that was certainly a well made video. I think I'll watch it a few more times to see what else I like.

Colin Minihan March 31st, 2004 02:26 AM

wack, never noticed that.. meh - and yeah the intro i like.. cinelook/magic bullet

Gustavo Godinho March 31st, 2004 07:16 AM

Very good work! What camera did you shoot? I saw the prodction pics and noticed the camera in the guy´s shoulder wasn´t a prosumer one (or am I wrong?).

About the fast edition intro... man, that was AWESOME!

What did you do to the image in AE?

And... last question: what was the lighting equipment?

Colin Minihan March 31st, 2004 02:33 PM

shot the video on 3 types of cams.. 2 formats.. the profesional cam is a dvcpro camera .. and the rest was shot on xl1 and vx2k

magic bullet was used in AE, and the intro i used cinelook and messed with the settings of old film look.

the lighting setup consisted of 3 1k's and chimaras, 3 650's and gells...in the room they perform in.. the wall was a crap brown color.. so we hit it with the pink gells and fixed that problem.

the 2 scenes shot with the dvcpro are the bed singing scene and the performance scene.

Steve Franco March 31st, 2004 02:36 PM

Colin. Great work on the vid. The intro was particularly strong. Who is the band?

Colin Minihan March 31st, 2004 02:38 PM

the band is called Cherrybomb. The intro was the easiest part to edit too... aside from using cinelook i shot at a very high shutter speed and also filmed the footage coming from my tv and intercut it with the actual source footage .

Josh Brusin March 31st, 2004 02:57 PM

looks great! Liked the quick shutter in the shower. Guy was hitting the bottle a bit... I would too... probably not crown royal though. VERY nice. Canadian band?

Colin Minihan March 31st, 2004 02:59 PM

yeah there from here in Vancouver. they are actually one of the top rated bands/songs on all of garageband.com

www.cherrybombmusic.com is there site.. they havent even seen the vid yet hehe. hope they like it.

update:

i put a .mov version on.. www.smiley-films.com/soldout.mov

and the documentry of the making of.
www.smiley-films.com/soldoutdoc.mov
www.smiley-films.com/soldoutdoc.wmv

Rob Lohman April 1st, 2004 06:44 AM

Very nice work, Colin! I liked the first part better. That looked
superb and therefor the last part felt a bit weak.

Steve Franco April 1st, 2004 11:58 AM

Hi Colin,

How much of a budget were you working with for this vid? Are you guys looking to get rotation on MTV2 or Fuse? Just curious.

Colin Minihan April 1st, 2004 02:58 PM

there was no budget. I used all my schools equipment. . The documentry is available for download too. It shows an in depth look at the making of.

www.smiley-films.com/soldoutdoc.mov
www.smiley-films.com/soldoutdoc.wmv

that will give a good idea of what i was working with.

and yes i believe that the band will try and do everything in their power to get the video out their to the general public.

Gustavo Godinho April 1st, 2004 06:07 PM

and how much did you charge for the clip? if it was for free, these guys are very lucky. they got a pro video without spending any money.

Kristopher Mallory April 1st, 2004 06:29 PM

loved the start of it too. you do some great work colin, if you where in my area i would offer you a directing job i have comming up.

keep it up, later bro

Colin Minihan April 1st, 2004 06:36 PM

yeah, i did this video for free.. actually i think it ended up costing me money haha. I know they are super lucky to get a pro video for nothing. I just wanted to do another music video really badly so that I could possibly get paying work from people that end up seeing the video. Im doing another free one in a few weeks too....yay.... i will never make any money....