New Logo for Company- Critiques needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 25th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Logo for Company- Critiques needed

Hey guys, I'm looking for some feedback on my new company logo. I've been dry on the creative side when it comes to designing a logo for W5 Digital. I'm trying to incorporate the "digital" side of things with the use of "digits" in the graphics.

This will be the design for the opening page of my website.

Would love some feedback as to whether you like the design i've attached, or if you hate it.

Whether you are blasting it or praising it, please don't hesitate to give me some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Watkins
Attached Thumbnails
New Logo for Company- Critiques needed-logo-blue-w5.jpg  
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

My only crit is the choice of font. To me its really hard to read.
Love the idea of the 'digits'...

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Major Player

Mike – without knowing anything about you and your company it’s difficult to be precise, however here are some thoughts for you – these are standard marketing questions.

1: Who is your target market? Broadcast, Corporate, Weddings, Male / Female etc
2: What image do you wish to project? Cutting Edge, Funky, Reliable, Solid etc
3: Will your logo transfer from the screen to print – how many colours, will it work in b/w and at what cost etc
4: Does your logo stand out in the crowd, in other words, is it a strong brand image for easy recognition.
5: Is colour choice important? Some colours may or may not be appropriate for your target customer
6: Will your logo (and adaptations thereof) work for various sizes of advertising?

These are just some general things that need to be thought out when creating a brand or logo.

In my opinion does your prospective logo say anything from a corporate point of view, no, it’s weak, it say’s nothing about who or what you are and the W5 in the fingering will go over most people’s heads. My first thoughts were the word “Sign Language” and the words “digital” could mean just about anything relating to the technology industry.

If you are serious about your business then you need to talk to a designer who works in advertising and marketing to help you focus your company in the right direction, that’s if you want it to have a long term direction.

Of course, if this is just a side line and more for fun, then do whatever you like, who cares what anyone else thinks… :-)

Hope that helps a little Mike.

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

This is just a drive by review ... but I'd try again. If my designer had shown me that logo I would have dismissed it immediately. It really doesn't say much, and what it does say isn't very interesting or memorable.

I agree with the advice above, and I'd also say:

1. Simplify the idea so it's eye catching, interesting, and memorable, you could do a lot of good stuff just playing creatively with "W5D".
2. Don't state the obvious - I always start with this as an easy way to cut through design dead ends, and also seems to be a faster way to get to something that's more memorable.

But in the end, who cares what other people think :-) you gotta go with what you think is right.
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Trustee

Digital? Digital what? Sorry, but I don't care for it. IMO, the humor is sophmorish and the name doesn't even hint at what you do. The font, is as others have said, unreadable and the color choices also. Give it a another try.
Good luck.
Old July 26th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm with them - doesn't do anything for me.

I think Stewarts questions are very sound - this deserves a lot of thought.

I'd recommend design outpost
Design Outpost - Graphic Design Firm - Logos, Templates, Print Material, and More

great service, great price - you tell them how much you're willing to spend and then pick the best idea.
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

What about the name?

Are you guys equally as turned off by the name as well as the logo? I've tried to be generic with naming due to the fact that: (A) I plan to offer videography, photography and music recording services and (B) most of the catchy(in my mind anyways)names have so many variations already out there that I kind of gave up with the name, so stuck with W5 Digital. No biggie to change it, as I don't have any stationary or tax id associated with it yet.. Also W5 Digital seemed to lend it self to the idea of being a bigger company than "mike watkins studios". Maybe I'm wrong...

As far as the hands, this idea is basically the sediment from the bottom of the creativity well. It seems to be the first thing I've liked, for this particular name..

I agree on the font, it will need to change.

Thanks for all of the feedback. So far looks like the "nays" have it.

Keep it coming.
Old July 26th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #8
Trustee

I agree with most of the comments so far and think that you need to change both the word font and image.

The three fingered hand is too close to a two-fingered derogatory symbol and in my opinion you're well advised to not use it.

The word & image connection between 'digits' and digital is far too vague, so I would be tempted to go back to the drawing board and think up some other ideas.
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #9
Trustee

IMO, the word Digital has become so generic as to be meaningless. Everything is digital. What can your business do for me?
Thanks for taking this so well. I see that as a sign of someone whol will be successful.
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah, I don't like it. "W5 Digital" is decent enough as a name, I suppose. Just curious, why W5? Are there 5 things you will be offering? If so, emphasize that. "Digital" to me signifies web design though, not video production. Could you go with W5 Media Productions or W5 Media?

The hands contradict anything modern though, like your trying to say "new" and "Cutting edge" by being digital, then you show somebody counting on their fingers..
David Barnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work