Music Video [Teaser] XH-A1 & Glidecam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Music Video [Teaser] XH-A1 & Glidecam

Hello All!

Finally I am here to share a clip. We finally got the Glidecam (actually quite a while ago) and took it out for the first time last week. Here is a quick music video I shot and edited (all done within 8hrs). Feedback is greatly appreciated as I am recently finding out that I know nothing about video production : ).

YouTube - LimeLyte - "T.G.I.F." [Official Video Teaser!!!]

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #2
Major Player

not one thing good or bad to say after 100 views? Hmm...back to the drawing board! Production for the actual video begins in a couple weeks, maybe I can get some feedback for that.

JS
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Ummm...needs more than one location?

He's singing about being "fresh", but the whole video was shot in front of a bunch of soda machines. I would have picked other less non-descript locations like in front of a closet full of clothes, sitting on a bed with a bunch of shoes in front of him on the floors, etc.

Additionally, he's rapping about having different clothes, different shoes, etc., but he's wearing the same thing throughout the whole video.

Also, are Gatorade, Pepsi and Coke paying for advertising in the video? Seems to be a lot of footage of their logos on the screen.

And what does the building he is walking out of at the beginning have to do with the video?

Sorry for all of the criticism, but the footage doesn't seem to go with the lyrics...to me anyway, but maybe I'm missing something.

P.S. The glidecam shots do look nice, though. :)
Bryan Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

10 point for not being seen in any windows :)
Ryan Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #5
Major Player

It's a good song. I saw the clip when it first went up a week ago but didn't comment. It's a Cincy cap which is a good thing. The cut at about 10 sec looks out of place, as the rest are cutting while he's moving and close up, while that is too quick from a close up static to distant static. To me anyways. I'm trying to figure out cutting techniques so I'm looking at everyone elses strategy. Great rhythm to the rest of the cuts, centered talent. Gotta get some chicks in there. Some smart ones, like at a library or a flower shop. Get a referee, and a Psychiatrist, to match the lyrics. The song is 1.56 minutes, is the final cut longer? Looking forward to the final print!
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #6
Major Player

I like the way it was cut.
I haven't a clue what it was all about.
Some choreographed extras eg like Bill says - chics, would improve it by helping to change the visual pacing and add interest in the slower parts.
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #7
Major Player

[QUOTE=
I haven't a clue what it was all about.
.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny, and after watching a couple of times, agreed. Sounds like he's saying 'Thank Fried I'm Fresh' though the title is different. He don't like that Pepsi machine.
How did you avoid your reflection in the window, luck, design, or photoshop?
And what type of Glidecam, I've thought for awhile to grab one, and they are anywhere from $300 to $25,000. Adds a nice flow.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Gilchrist View Post
Ummm...needs more than one location?

...Also, are Gatorade, Pepsi and Coke paying for advertising in the video...

P.S. The glidecam shots do look nice, though. :)
Oh yes! The actual video will be shot at 3-4 locations (and also has 3 verses in the song). This was just a quick teaser to get some feedback, and generate a buzz for the production. Also for me to get some practice with the glidecam. As far as the soda machines, there is actually a concept behind it, but it's still in development. Sponsors, I wish! Still unsure on how "big" the production will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hansen View Post
10 point for not being seen in any windows :)
thanks. That was a bit tricky. It's all about angles and not-so reflective surfaces ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thesken View Post
The cut at about 10 sec looks out of place
Nope. That cut wasn't supposed to be there at all. I forgot to get one of the shots (due to not creating a shot list!) so I was short on options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
Some choreographed extras eg like Bill says - chics, would improve it by helping to change the visual pacing and add interest in the slower parts.
Yeah. We are working with a small budget, but have some graceous volunteers which should make this video a great success. Should include females, BMXrs, and maybe even a fire-breather. It all ties into the story line, promise!

JS
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thesken View Post
How did you avoid your reflection in the window, luck, design, or photoshop?
And what type of Glidecam, I've thought for awhile to grab one, and they are anywhere from $300 to $25,000. Adds a nice flow.
A "glossy-matte" type of surface is on the windows which greatly reduces amount of reflection, while still keeping them shiny. Umm...I think that's the best way to explain it? Also positioning myself so that my body was never in line with the talent and the window at the same time, that's really the key.

It's the old Glidcam 4000. They are cheap! I'm looking to get the vest because more than an hour of holding the sled brings on fatigue.

JS
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #10
Major Player

The glidecam work was pretty spot on. The rapper was bit wooden and needs to show some personality. Other than that, I echo most of Bryan's criticisms.

And not to totally grill you, but if your gonna make a teaser for something, it better f*&%ing rock, otherwise you'll be hard pressed to get views on the finished product. This (while great as a steadicam test) is underwhelming as a teaser. I'm glad i read your comments 'cause otherwise I'm assuming you made a video about a guy buying a soda who lives in a small house that has absolutely nothing to do with the song and doesn't reflect the rappers persona.

Looking forward to the BMXers and the fire breather.
Jay Kavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kavi View Post
...but if your gonna make a teaser for something, it better f*&%ing rock, otherwise you'll be hard pressed to get views on the finished product. This (while great as a steadicam test) is underwhelming as a teaser. I'm glad i read your comments 'cause otherwise I'm assuming you made a video about a guy buying a soda who lives in a small house that has absolutely nothing to do with the song and doesn't reflect the rappers persona.

Looking forward to the BMXers and the fire breather.
Jay, thanks for the comments. I agree with the naming convention. Perhaps I should've named it glidecam test rather than video teaser! The location, honestly, was chosen simply because it was available. I don't know any small two story houses though.

I'm in conversation with the fire breather, so hopefully that works out!

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work