Review My First Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old April 4th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Review My First Video

Hello everyone at DVInfo.net!!! I am a new member of this community and a new owner of a Canon GL-2. I purchased my camera last week and have not put it down yet. This weekend my friend and I shot a short film and I would like to get some feedback and/or advice and suggestions. I want to enter it into a Film Festival at my college.

You can see the Quicktime video here...
http://www.houseofhazard.com/onlineben.html

Thank you for all your time,
Kirill

PS - It's a pleasure to be a member of this fine community!
Kirill Bichutsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:07 AM   #2
New Boot

Nicely done. Although I didn't really understand why it turned color at the end.
Sherwin Noorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I enjoyed it very much

I'm no expert, but it seemed the editing was off rythem at a couple of points. (see this or
this for what I mean. Try "Render" if asked for a password)

I also did not understand the reason for the change from monochrome to color?
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Looks lovely!

Hi Kirill,

I thought your film looked great and kept me interested throughout. I'll echo the "why go to colour" comment (although personally I can only see in monochrome until I've washed up in the morning. Maybe that was it?).

I also own a XM2 (the European equivalent of the GL2). Great, huh?

What NLE did you use? And what rendering settings did you use?

Once again, nice movie.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It's okay, kinda boring. The end was funny though!

I think you could shorten it and make it just as good I found myself bored quick
Kyle Kauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #6
Major Player

Nicely filmed, did last a bit long and .....

WHY DID IT TURN TO COLOUR???!!!! :-)
Richard Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #7
Major Player

"Think you can sell, reckon you could survive in a demanding fast paced environment like mobile telecoms?......then we wanna hear from you."

What you recon Ian? :-)
Old April 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #8
New Boot

No, no, no, extend it!!

I presume there is, or there could be a girl in the room next door. The guy has just realised his luck is in and he gets ready frantically in the bathroom. We don't know this, and don't realise until the end when we get the condom shot which reveals his situation. So personally, I would like to have seen more activities which would lead to greater payoff.

Apart from that, I liked some of the shots very much, and the sepia look was class. Now if only you could have shown the condom packet in colour and nothing else, there's a project for you.

Keep shooting man!!

Nice one.
James Chesterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Richard! Have you heard the original ad or did you hear it on my voice demo?? It's quite a while ago I did that one so I guess the latter. I thought your rendition was excellent - I prefer it in the Mancunian accent ;-)
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #10
Major Player

lol
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:21 PM   #11
Tourist

Extend it how?

James, the problem with extending it is that the entire story starts and ends in the bathroom - or at least that's how I understood it.

The other part is simply that having gone into more detail (such as anti-perspirant and all that other stuff) would have made the film somewhat tedious and the payoff would have come much too late.

Then again...I could be wrong.
---
For those wondering who I am and I seem to think I can tell people that they're wrong or right (I know all of you are thinking it):
I'm the guy in the video. That's right, that's my face, not a vision of Adonis (Modesty; thy name is me).

Hmm...kind of a paltry introduction/first post...but it'll have to do...
Ben Margulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:27 AM   #12
Regular Crew

This might be a stupid question, but whats in his teeth that makes him flip out? is it a piece of meat? chocolate? i get that if u saw something like that in your teeth that you would want to brush them, or pick it out, but i dont get the condom gag. i thought he was going to pick it out with the edge of the condom wraper. did i miss something? i get that hes preparing for something, but i dont get why he would rush about at the end for a single condom, considering he didnt rush to shave. i feel like i missed something, someone clue me in. It looks good though, definitly looks better in B&W. maybe take some saturation out of the color bits.

http://www.rich-lee.com
Rich Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #13
RED Code Chef

As I interpreted it he just thought about a condom and franatically
starts to search for one. The gag is that he thinks his teeth are
not the problem or that he is missing them due to his haste.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:44 AM   #14
Tourist

Rich, the idea was to have a set-up for this guy who apparently never brushed his teeth (or at least it should have had to look that way).

In reality all that crap was just some chocolate and dried bread - but it gets the job done methings.
Ben Margulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #15
New Boot

Well... first of all I would like to thank all of you for the constructive criticism... it actually went a long way. I am re-editing some of the shots and from what seems to be the mass opinion - the whole film will be done in black & white.

I believe the intro might need to be reworked... perhaps instead of one continous pan up to the faucet... several closeup shots cut to the music and then a short pan up to the faucet.

I also am going to shorten the closeup of his teeth - that stays on screen way too long. A few minor adjustments to other shots as well.

By the way... I am trying to enter this piece into a film festival at my college... and well my friend and I are in talks with Dave Brubeck's and Paul Desmond's attorney. Apparently, Brubeck owns the recording rights and Desmond owns the song. Hopefully all goes well!!!

Thanks again for all your input... I will definetely post more updates.
Kirill Bichutsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work