For Your Consideration..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

For Your Consideration.....

Here is a promotional "highlight" clip from a DVD I produced. I film a weekly "songwriter's night" in Nashville, TN for a good frined of mine. This footage was shot with a Sony HDR-FX7, lit with $4.00 Wal-Mart clamp-on worklights with Reveal 100 watt bulbs, and edited on Premiere Pro CS3. The audio is what the camera picked up with it's on-board mic, with some light limiting and a little presence added in Premiere Pro.

Here's the youtube link: YouTube - THE Nashville Songwriter's EVENT!

Keep in mind, these are all original songs performed by the respective writers, and I have obtained permission to air these performances.

So, what do you guys think? Any tips or suggestions? Praise? Any input is appreciated!
James Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Overall, this was nicely done. The camera microphones did a decent job on the audio. When making a video of performers, the audio is usually more important than the video, IMO.
I like to use external mics that are placed closer to the performers. I also have used a Samson H4 patched into the mixer to get clean vocals, which I then sync with the camera audio in Media Composer.
I liked the video effects. Some of the shots showed a lot of video noise (insufficient lighting?)
Robert Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Petersen View Post
Overall, this was nicely done. The camera microphones did a decent job on the audio. When making a video of performers, the audio is usually more important than the video, IMO.
I like to use external mics that are placed closer to the performers. I also have used a Samson H4 patched into the mixer to get clean vocals, which I then sync with the camera audio in Media Composer.
I liked the video effects. Some of the shots showed a lot of video noise (insufficient lighting?)
Thanks!

Actually, I added the video noise. I only had one camera to shoot with, and all the different angles and perspectives were the result of me doing some "mirroring" and frame manipulation in post. I added the "noise" and solarization effects to make the shots more interesting, and the fellow who hosts that particular show likes an "indie" look, so thats what I was trying to acheive. Did I over-do it?
James Workman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work