DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   New Movie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/25389-new-movie.html)

Corey Sturmer May 1st, 2004 07:30 AM

New Movie

I created this movie as a banquet video for my high school swim team, of which I have been the captain for two years. I am the second male to appear in the film. Enjoy

http://www.joecam.net/JellyFishExperience.WMV

Corey Sturmer May 2nd, 2004 12:12 PM

Are there any comments at all?

Yevgeni Yun May 6th, 2004 10:33 AM

Shots are too shaky, try to use tripod or steady cam more also some shots need more lighting. As for the whole film there is nothing intersting for most folks here, I think we all have those type of films in our collection but its my opinion I'm not realy into Doc's unless it's something realy good and unique.

Corey Sturmer May 6th, 2004 10:43 AM

That wasn't a documentary, it was more montage-ish since it was for a banquet. I'd have to completely disagree on the shakiness part...I mean, this isn't a scripted film man, this was shot on the fly at swim meet by several different people. No room for a steadicam, and it's real hard to do this AND compete on the team, which is what I was doing. Also, more lighting? Dude this is a montage...It's not like I can haul my lighting kit into a swim meet...

I know it might not be all that interesting to some of you on the forums, but then again, it might! Just wanted to throw my material out there. I think the real strength in this movie is the amount of material, I mean I really made sure to follow the team from the beginning. I got swim meet shots, get together shots, restaraunt shots, practice shots, championship shots, award shots...You get the idea.

Dmitri Henry May 6th, 2004 02:20 PM

Well being the short film fan that i am i prefer quality over quantity. Criticism that you are getting is standard and i am sure everyone in here loves to see interesting pictures. I have only watched around 30 seconds of your film and being the predictable piece that it is, it reminded me of high school announcements i watch everyday. Not something i am interested in. You can improve your documentaries in different ways i recommend watching something like "my architect" "corporation" or some Michael Moore docs. Though i agree with you that they are all on the fly and it is sometimes hard to get the material the way you intend to. Try a modest stabilizer maybe on shoulder one, maybe an on camera self powered light? Take care.

Alain Aguilar May 8th, 2004 03:35 PM

I just watched your documentary.
Great editing skiils and good sense for capturing interesteing moments
I think the subject matter of your doc is what gives is attractiveness or its downfall. I agree with you that it has a lots of material and I understand how much work you probably went through, but how much interest can you get with a doc about swimming. If I was particulary interested in that subject I would defentelly find your movie very appealing. However, from a objective point of view these are my suggestions.

Camera stabilizer
Better sound
throw some conflicting or dramatic events or situations
You have great editing skills by the way!

Good luck!

Corey Sturmer May 12th, 2004 06:24 AM

Guys. This is NOT a documentary!

NOT A DOCUMENTARY!

It documents the whole of our swim season, sure...But it's not intended to tell a story. It's a sports montage. It's just a recap of the season so the people who swam on the team have a visual to go with their memories. I thought you guys might enjoy it, so I posted it. Thanks for the compliments, though.

Mikel Low May 12th, 2004 02:25 PM

Corey -

I liked your contribution ... a decent effort for what you intended the film to be. Oh, and best regards to the whole Jordan Swim Team.

Next time ... get a mic with a boom (and a friend to hold it ... of course :D). I thought the edits were somewhat choppy in places but that's minor to the overall feel.

One more thing Corey ... this is NOT a documentary! (d@Mn!%) :D

Corey Sturmer May 13th, 2004 05:05 PM

haha thank you...Yeah, I definitely need some new audio equipment...I don't have any right now aside from what is on the camera, and that would be more convienent if I wasn't on the team, but understood.

George Brackett III May 20th, 2004 06:10 PM

Wow- the sound volume's all over the place

Linda Schodowsky May 27th, 2004 04:38 PM

Hi Corey...

I'm on a roll here, with watching and critiquing everyones work and all.

But... I can't watch yours! I have a Mac! Unless you know something I don't know... is it possible for you to provide a viewable format for me?

I have to admit, the suspense is killing me, after reading the reviews! I'd like to check it out for myself.

Corey Sturmer May 28th, 2004 12:53 PM

If you go to download.com and search for Windows Media Player, they will have a macintosh version that will allow you to view said WMV. Thanks for the interest.

Linda Schodowsky May 28th, 2004 11:48 PM

Thanks for the tip Corey...

Unfortunately, it is taking way too long to download on my Mac. After 2 hours, it still didn't download. Just how big is this movie?