DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Grapes of Wrath short. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/26212-grapes-wrath-short.html)

Mitch Buss May 19th, 2004 06:35 AM

Grapes of Wrath short.

We have finished our latest project which was inspired by the Grapes of Wrath. It took us about 5 weeks to complete. It was done on a Sony CCD-TRV87 so the quality of picture is lacking. Please leave your comments and if you would like, we have another video posted on here. It is the Great Gatsby short. (Both assignments for school.) So please take a look at both of them and let me know what you think. Heres the link:

Grapes OF Wrath

Mitch Buss

Rob Belics May 19th, 2004 08:27 AM

You guys are getting too good at this. Did you say, last time, what kind of school?

I think you're ready for the hard part. Coming up with a totally original script and shooting that. You've got everything else down pat.

Mitch Buss May 19th, 2004 08:50 AM

We are going to a Lutheran High School with, unfortunately, no film program. Hopefully we will have one class next year but that is a big if as of right now. But thank you for your comments. They are GREATLY appreciated.

Mitch Buss

Rob Belics May 19th, 2004 10:51 AM

Yeah, I thought you said you were still in high school. (BTW, graduated from Lutheran High here in St. Louis).

Mitch Buss May 20th, 2004 11:33 AM

So does anyone else have some comments? Please let me know if you do. I need some feedback.

Rafal Krolik May 20th, 2004 06:56 PM

Mitch, Eric, Eric, and the crew.
Cinematically, I loved it. Your particular style comes through in well planned shots and mostly good pacing. Of course the fact that all of you guys are great actors helps as well.
Technically, I think it's time to start using a little more of a tripod , especially for some of the panning shots. Although handheld look has it's place, I think that in this case it causes a distraction.
I am assuming that just like your previous "The Great Gatsby" flick, this one is also based on a part of the book. In a case like this, you might want to give a quick narrative so that it's easier for the casual viewer, or someone who doesn't know the story to follow along.
Great job, hope you get an A on this one and drop me an e-mail when the next masterpiece is out.
One more thing. I assume that when the picture switches to black and white, it symbolizes memory trip, correct?

Mitch Buss May 20th, 2004 07:46 PM

Thanks Rafal for your comments. About the Narrative, in the book there are two different types of chapters, the chapters that follow the main family in the book, this includes the dialogue and drama, the other type are the intercalary chapters. These have no narrative and are more of a reflection of the times for everyone else. We chose to take two of the intercalary chapters and adapt them. We tried to develop a narrative at first but gave up realizing that it was hopeless and unecessary. Steinbeck did not write one, so why should we? That is why there is no talking. We wanted to get a message across through imagery rather than dialogue. As for the tripod, I understand what you mean, but I wanted to give a very "unsteady" feel to whole situation because that is what it was, very unsteady and uncertain. That is why I did not use a tripod very often. And the black and white were our way of differentiating between the Man, and the Husband and Wife. To try to get across that there is no relationship between the people other than the struggles they are going through. Thanks again Rafal for your comments. And about our next project, it will not be for a while unfortunately, but I will let you know when it is.

Mitch

Mitch Buss May 24th, 2004 09:06 AM

Please keep some comments coming!

Dylan Couper May 24th, 2004 01:27 PM

Hey Mitch

I must confess I haven't read the book, but I sure liked your version. Ok, I really had a hard time following some of the story, but that's OK because your visual content was very good.

THumbs up.

Oh, regarding not using the tripod for the shaky look? There is "the shakey handheld look" and the "I don't own a tripod" look.
I have to say that to me it felt like a couple of your scenes felt too much like you forgot the tripod at home that day. I suggest using the tripod, and then just moving it slightly when you want that look. You had too much shake and it was distracting.

Otherwise, really good. Get your ass in film school.

Mitch Buss May 24th, 2004 06:19 PM

Thanks Dylan. I can understand what you mean by the too shaky-ness of it. After watching it again myself, I noticed in some parts it was a little too shaky. But thanks again. I appreciate all the comments.

Mitch