GRATUITY - a 60 second short online - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #16

filmed on location at the Second City theatre
Peter John Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #17

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Belics : The video looked thrown together in 60 seconds. Pacing was poor. Writing cliche. Embarrassingly unwatchable. -->>>

Just sold this short (GRATUITY) to Bravo UK, National Lampoon Networks, Movieola the Short Film Channel (Canada), and The U Network for broadcast on TV.

Better close your eyes! You may think it's embarassing, but I got checks that cleared, so I won't worry too much.

Seriously, this is why criticism is good. One person's opinion can be mean, even ridiculing, but then somone else's opinion, (one that matters) can have a deeper impact. Ironically, this guys opinion above says more about him than my movie.

Learn to take it all. No movie you make will please everyone, and I'm sure I'll get far more flack when it begins airing. There will be thousands of people saying "I could do better than that". Some will, and others will languish on the couch saying that about every show they see and never do it. Which one are you?

For anyone that gets bashed, try to learn something from even the harshest of critcisms. Don't let it stop you from making another movie, or even finding the good in the movies that get criticized. Have some confidence in yourself and what you are doing.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #18
Major Player

nice! How'd you swing that?
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #19

I sent them a tape

and a submissions form
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #20
Major Player

who's them? All of them? Each of them? You make bank? What does a minute short get you these days? Congrats...
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #21

I have sent tape or DVD submissions to a LOT of TV shows, some pay, some don't. It helps to have a distributor behind you repping the short (even the 1 minute GRATUITY is repped by BIG FILM SHORTS out of Burbank).

http://www.bigfilmshorts.com

Here is a list of TONS of TV shows/networks taking submissions for short films (even 1 minute ones)

http://www.sonnyboo.com/cgi-bin/ib21...rum=2&topic=13
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #22
Major Player

cool... not being into shorts it's new and exciting!
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Peter, that was very funny! Great job. I thought the gun shots work just great. And, I hate it when people leave little or no tips.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:17 PM   #24

she was hitting him with a server tray, but I wanted them to have a more cartoon impact... my main criticism here was that it was not realistic....
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Peter, did you shoot this with your GL1? Did you use any additional lighting other than what was available? What editing software did you use?

Thank you for sharing the where-to-submit-your-short list. Even though I enjoy films of all lengths, I've been particularly interested in the short genre. There is something magic about being able to make someone think, laugh or upset with a 60-second or 15-minute short. And, I find it to be a shame that there are just few outlets for short films in the U.S., one of the birth places of cinema. In other parts of the world, and particularly in Europe, there seems to be a greater interest in short films and a greater potential for filmmakers of shorts to sell their works. At least that was the case up until a few years ago when I wrote a paper on short film distribution while in college. Some of that information may be outdated but if your interested, I can share it with you, or any one else who is.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #26

Shot simultaneously on Super 8 film and my Canon Gl1. The Super was overexposed & the look of EKTACHROME is pretty bad (although I love Super 8 - NO EKTACHROME please...)

Thanks to DV, there happens to be a ton of new short film outlets opening up... if that list was not enough, there are at least 6 new whole NETWORKS in the works, and at least 50 TV shows worldwide for short films - all trying to get going.

I'd love to see your info.
Peter John Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work