DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Moving Units Music Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/27778-moving-units-music-video.html)

Rich Lee June 18th, 2004 06:23 PM

Moving Units Music Video

Hey guys, just saw that a video that i shot for a friend last year is up on the web.

Its for a band called the Moving Units. We had 2 floating xl1s (one on stage, one doing everything else). a little minidv cam up in the rafters, and a lipstick cam on the mic. I shot everything that wasnt on the stage. It was during a live performance at the troubador in West Hollwood. Pretty fun! I did the post work as far as color correction and the funky steppy effects, in after effects. The editor did a really great job i think, cant remember who he was. anyway, have a look. I love how rough and dirty it feels....

http://www.movingunits.net/media.html

we had no control over the lighting, and we did not use the audio from the performance. they got a clean track from the band.

Gustavo Godinho June 18th, 2004 10:49 PM

Nice cut and awesome job with the B&W. Man, that drummer is cool.

Christopher C. Murphy June 19th, 2004 07:48 AM

Rich, great job.

Anything specific you can point out in Minority Report that we can check out? I loved the design elements in that movie.

Murph

Rich Lee June 19th, 2004 09:26 AM

thanks.

Christopher, you mean stuff from minority report that i worked on right?

if so, i helped them design the action and camera work for the hover pack chase in the alley all the way into the car factory. also the one big overhead shot where cruise is in that the tenement with the spiders. The scene where cruise is in the maglev and he gets out and jumps from maglev to maglev. the stuff in what was called the hall of containment, with all the prisioners in those vertical sleds. and there were a couple little shots of the hover craft that we helped design. i really need to get some examples up on the net. minority report was my first film gig as a previz artist, i didnt have as much responsabilty or creative input as i do now, but it was a great learning experience. we worked heavly with the art dept as well. we design all the shots in 3d, so we can build the art dept designs into our 3d enviroments, and really show what its going to look like when they shoot it, with 3d cameras that mimic real life camera specs. so it was a design tool for the art dept as well as for camera and action. anyway, on that show it we had around 5 previz guys workin for us.

Christopher C. Murphy June 19th, 2004 12:24 PM

yeah, i meant telling us what you worked on. sorry i didn't make it clearer....i visited your site and saw your credits.

congrads on getting such a high profile gig...hope it brings you more soon. i've seen minority report on hdtv lately a few times (i've watched it at least 3-4 times now) and it's visually an excellent film and the story is great too.

one thing my girlfriend and i agree on is that "ai" sure didn't hit the mark for us like minority report did. i loved minority reports feel. i hope speilberg does something equally as good soon. i'm thinking the "terminal" won't be that great, but i'll check it out anyway..

murph

Rich Lee June 19th, 2004 12:39 PM

Hey thanks man,

times have been pretty damned good since minority report. worked on some interesting films with cool directors. its been really fun.

the company i work for did a bunch of previz work for terminal. the art dept had to build that airport terminal in a airplane hanger. it was huge, when u walked in, you totaly forgot you where on a stage. everything was real, they got alot of the stores and food court shops you would find in airports and malls inside this thing. most of them actualy worked. they had a real startbucks there, with real starbucks employees if im not mistakin! crazy man, only a guy like spielberg could get something of this scale, for this kind of movie, to be built. we shall see if it turns out to be good, i've herd mixed reviews. im sure it will be entertaining.

you know, i liked ai alot, it really got to me. more so then minorty report, i mean, i really liked it, but ai really got me at the end. i think working on MR kinda ruined it for me, knowing what the twist was and all.

suposadly speilberg is doing war of the worlds soon. we shall see, im sure he'd do a killer version of it! thats his kind of movie.

Matt Brouwer June 20th, 2004 03:35 AM

Moving Units is an awesome band! I have their EP.

Kyle Kauss June 28th, 2004 02:19 PM

nice job

Christopher Reynolds August 14th, 2004 08:39 PM

This post is a little old, but I've been digging through DV for the Masses and im thoroughly enjoying what I'm seeing. I didn't know people in the big game movie world came here, awesome! Terminal was a good movie, but I wouldn't say it was fantastic. I'm still buying it when it comes out. Minority Report was very interesting, and I can not remember AI (except for that cool little teddy bear), have to check it out again.

BACK TO TOPIC: Moving Units seems odd and cool. Im going to look into getting their work for my own collection. That video was well done and the strobing helped keep the sound synch simple (I only noticed one shot where the drummer was definately not in synch) I just finished a project for some friends where they performed at a Memorial Day party at the drummer's house. It is horribly amateur (being my first project). I just used the experience as a stepping stone to help me learn my camera and software. I might post it one day if I can find a host for the 30 min. footage. All in all, well done!