Watch my new short film - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 9th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #16
Major Player

Young - you have some great looking shots in there. You gotta love such little DOF in the 16mm lense. I've shot a few shorts with the old Arri 16 cameras and it's a blast but man, film is so much harder to shoot with than minidv with all the measuring and light metering etc. Obviously, I also have to critique the sound but that's a dead horse at this point.

I had a few issues that I guess no one else really minded. I thought the casting for the savior was off. First off, on camera he came off a bit cheasy looking. And I hope this doesn't come off bad but I thought that since the two battling characters had a distinct "asian" look that having a balding, younger white guy brought my attention to the fact that he was a white guy. I'm not by any means suggesting that if you have asian characters, you must keep all asian characters throughout a film but since it was a short with 3 characters and the two opposing ones were of the same descent and we see them interact a while before this ghost like savior character enters which is already a surprise, having him look so different made it almost too much for me personally. Finally, I was guessing that your protagonist had ended up dying, that he did infact shoot up when we saw his face in anguish. The cut back to him not actually doing it was only part of his dream at death and the savior figure was intended to be a Jesus stereotype figure as in the "savior" the savior and his final battle was fighting off evil (who was wearing black) before ascending into heaven or the afterlife etc. . Again, what made me conclude all of this was the fact that your savior character was cast as a balding white dude wearing white and appears spirit like, similar to what we've seen to be a typical jesus or god character in movies of the past (or what christian churches have trained people to think). Anyways, your short looked cool though, and I look forward to seeing a version with different sfx which will help immensely. Best of luck and what an awesome first effort with a film.
Bryan Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Dylan and Bryan

Bryan, that was the first time anybody actually mentioned that the white jesus guy looked cheesy (the other two negative comments I got a while ago was that he looked gay haha), but it was interesting reading your interpretation because you interpreted it differently from what I intended. It helps immensely though, to get an idea of what audiences think and what I intended - will aid in my future efforts to be more clearer in abstract concept films like this.

If you want the skinny of what I intended its like this:
Man trapped hopelessly in his sins, at the point of death and torment by his demons is saved by a Savior (hence Enter the Savior), and is given the power to overcome the devil (his 'divine annointing') then he gets up with newfound strength to defeat the evil and walk out into the light of eternity with his new friend

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #18
Regular Crew

young, i have amassed some great action sounds. id gladly pass them along to you. i come to filmmaking from sound design, so my sfx library is very vast. i have both homemade and stock libraries. loved the film. imagine fixing those sound effects and never hearing "i loved it, but" again.

great work.
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #19
Regular Crew

whoa! That'd be great Heath!! Thanks, let me know how you want to do this :D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work