DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   My work-tell me what you think (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/28540-my-work-tell-me-what-you-think.html)

Greg Harris July 6th, 2004 10:57 AM

My work-tell me what you think

http://www.bibble.karatmedia.com/Gra...perception.mov

Young-H. Lee July 6th, 2004 01:43 PM

Hey I just watched it, very nice camera work especially on the dollys. Two questions:

1. how did you do the slo-mo so well and so smoothly?

2. where in DC did you film all this? did you run into a lot of cops asking questions?

good work

Greg Harris July 6th, 2004 02:17 PM

I just did the slow motion in Premier pro. All of that was filmed mostely in NW, Northern VA, Bethesda, MD and Philly, And cops don't ask questions they give you a very large fine and throw you in jail.

Pat Chaney July 6th, 2004 04:38 PM

Nice work - but why would the cops fine you or throw you in jail?

Barry Gilbert July 6th, 2004 07:21 PM

I have not seen it yet Pat but since 9/11/01 there are certain places Law Enforcement gets itchy when they see people rolling tape. The areas Greg mentioned are high target areas.

Young-H. Lee July 6th, 2004 07:41 PM

damn..i live in MD/bethesda

nice quote barry

Barry Gilbert July 6th, 2004 07:47 PM

Oh No...Sorry YHL. I hope I didn't let the cat out of the bag.

:P

Young-H. Lee July 7th, 2004 12:58 AM

hahah...its so true...that quote, i love it

Pat Chaney July 7th, 2004 05:21 AM

I can imagine filming in public might attract the attention of the police (although quite why they would think that terrorists would be out filming potential targets with camcorders is beyond me) but I assume that there isn't actually a law against it yet. That wouldn't be entirely consistent with the US Constitution would it?

Or is the Patriot Act more far-reaching than I had realised?

Greg Harris July 7th, 2004 05:42 AM

Well if you watched the clip you would see that its 90% skateboarding, and skateboarding is ILLEGAL pretty much everywhere. So you will get the cops called on you all the time. BACK TO THE POINT OF ME POSTING THIS THREAD, did you guys like the motion graphics?

Young-H. Lee July 7th, 2004 12:21 PM

3D graphics were alright...

Dylan Couper July 7th, 2004 01:02 PM

The 3d was OK, but didn't do much for me. I'd like to say I really enjoyed your photography. I don't go for skate videos, but your work was good enough that it kept me watching. Nice stuff.

Only suggestion is to watch your shadow in the frame during movement. It's disctracting. A minor point though overall.

Ken Tanaka July 7th, 2004 02:34 PM

Greg,
I watched a bit. Some of your camera handling was good. The low shots following a skate board stood out as well-done and held my interest. But overall the content just didn't hold me to the end...just kids on skate boards in the city.

The issues with urban skateboarding are not really those of terrorism; they're trespass and vandalism. Stunts, such as some you portray in your movie, cost civil and private property owners hundreds of millions each year. Very expensive stonework and masonry gets destroyed by these boarders. Ditto metal railings and damn near everything else that appears to be an attractive new venue for boarders.

I've no delusions that my remarks will in any way mitigate childrens' behavior. It's just a sad commentary on contemporary parenting that a prevailing view held by young people seems to be that anything in public is free for any use by any one. But one day, if you're lucky, you may find yourself with $20,000-$100,000 of decorative stone work on your property. I assure you you'll be just delighted to discover that skate boarders have claimed it as theirs, as you write another big check to repair it.

Michael Moore July 7th, 2004 06:43 PM

Wow, 1st I would like to say nice work Greg. I have been skating for over 12 years and have been very involved in the seen here in Vancouver BC just about as long.
There are 2 things I can recommend
1) Try (if possible) to use the same type of cameras. This gives the production a more professional look.
2) Use a fisheye lens that fits!! Vinyetting (I think that is how it is spelt) looks so bad. Watch the DC, Forum, Osiris videos they all use wide angel lenses and they look just as good.

I hate to do this but I have to make a point to Ken Tanaka

Ken as I am aware you are a "warden" and a "moderator" on this board I do not wish to offend you. Also so as I do not know you personally I will try not to make judgments as to your personality. That being said, your comments are very dishearten to me "mitigate children’s' behavior" why is it that as soon as some one picks up a skateboard it is considered a "toy" or that they are partaking in childish thing. I am 25 years old, I hold a respectable job debugging software for a large company, I have done talks on computer security and social behaviors of hackers and hacker culture and I skateboard to work every day. Yet I am still hassled by people, Tony Hawk Bam Margera are multi multi millionaires and still people call it a childish sport. Yet if I where to pick up a baseball bat or a foot ball this is accepted. Your comment about "trespass and vandalism" is in part correct but misses the larger picture. In or near the city of Fairf as in many city across the US and in Canada there are skateboard park popping up all over the place but in smaller city this these option are not there and so what would you like to see the "children" do. I know from personal experience that if it was not for Skateboarding I would have been in allot more trouble as a child skateboarding gave me focus and personal pride knowing that if I work hard at something and keep trying I will learn it and will perfect it. "It's just a sad commentary on contemporary parenting that a prevailing view held by young people seems to be that anything in public is free for any use by any one" well if it is public then it is free that is what public property means for the people so your comments are a little of side (a least in MY opinion) I have to say that skateboarders have to respect everyone’s right to these land makes and public places but salding "children" with fines criminal recorders and possibly a night or to in jail is not appropriate these people are the future of your respective countries and we should show them the respect and encouragement that they deserver

PS

I have friend that own home and builds with very nice marble and garnet ledges and they are more then happy to fork out few hundreds or thousand dollars to clean them every year and they are even happier to give the money to the city to build a skate park

Sorry for the forum high jacking
Support your Local skateboarder
Michael Moore

Ken Tanaka July 7th, 2004 08:02 PM

Michael,
Indeed, let's not hijack this thread on a discussion on skateboarding. I'll not rebut.

I do, however, want to clarify my point. All sports are fundamentally "childrens' games". Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, lacrosse, et.al. The matter I take issue with is not that young (or even not-so-young) people skateboard for exercise and entertainment. Frankly, I think that's terrific. It sure beats sitting in front of the television or video games. What I take issue with is property damage that generally ensues when an inappropriate venue is used for the activity. That is my sole objection.

That there are few "appropriate venues" for skateboarding/extreme roller blading/extreme bicycling in the northern latitudes of the U.S. is regrettable. Perhaps as participants move ahead in the business world they'll be able to fund development of more indoor facilities suitable for colder and wetter climates.