first scene from our feature - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 13th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Yeah...

I knew that while I was typing it, most people reading would think "Christ, man, it's a mooovie -- get over it already."

Oh well,

:D

- jim
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #17
Major Player

Peter- you've done a lot of work there.
I have to add my 2 cents, and hope that you continue what you are doing and take my comments with a grain of salt.

Yeahhh, the soldiers looked prettty clean. They made a lot of noise moving around- would have gotten them shot before getting into position. THey didn't look too concerned about being in open countryside around enemy. The machine gun fire changed from shot to shot (wasn't in the background when changing shots to the guy being shot at).

I'm a war-movie geek though, and I look for that stuff. It's especially hard after "Band Of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan" kind of set the bar for the rest of them. My dad quit highschool to join the Marines during WWII and fought in all of the major campaigns in the pacific. The few stories he'd share left an impression.

PLease keep going. I'd love to work on stuff like that. I know what the difficulties are in any production, so please see it through.

All the best,
Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #18

Thanks all for the comments, even the criticisms.

Just as an FYI, I was in Manhattan on September 11th, 2001. I was at the New York International Independent Film & Video Festival witha movie I worked on that was set to show at Noon.

I can't please everyone, and I don't think that was a goal. I'm just trying to tell a story. As for the reality of Naziism, finding a horrific metaphor does not denegrate or make light of what really happened. Using the Horror genre to accentuate or emphasize evil in it's varying forms should not be misinterpretted as an insenstivity to those who suffered.

Thanks again for taking the time to watch.
Peter John Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #19
New Boot

Special FX software

I really liked the special FX what software packages did you use for the shots??

Great Job so far!!

Mark
Mark Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #20

Re: Special FX software

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Michaels : I really liked the special FX what software packages did you use for the shots??

Great Job so far!!

Mark -->>>

THank you.

Don Drennan, the FX guy used LIGHTWAVE to do the CGI planes, Adobe After Effetcs to do compositing.
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM   #21

More shooting on Sept 18th. There's a D-Day re-enactment and we'll be there with several film cameras to get some shots.

Now there's an NBC news interview I did on the site...
http://horrorsofwar.sonnyboo.com/nbc.htm
Old September 8th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #22
New Boot

Very cool, Peter. Congratulations and I look forward to the finished feature.
Michael Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #23
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Good for you! You presented a good representation of indy DV filmmaking on that interview. Bravo!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Where did you get the uniforms from, I am planning on a WWII movie and was wondering where I could get lots of cheap uniforms.
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #25

WWII re-enactors. Authentic props & uniforms.

The only way to go.
Old September 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Peter, I noticed that the trailer obviously had independant written all over it, which is why I love it. The "zombie" Nazi was a great concept, I was intrigued by it. Great job. I also salute you on taking the blunt criticism like a champ. Take care.

-Chris
Old September 9th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #27
New Boot

LOL.

Okay, I'm about to sound like an a-hole, which I seriously am not, but here it goes...

I admire your production. Looks like a large scale film, and you put in a hell of a lot of effort into this, and I commend you for that. The look of it is fantastic. Good special effects, however...

Is it just me, or does the first line of dialogue we hear sound like a cliche'd resident evil/mystery/thriller-type videogame? In fact, the characters seem totally unhuman. This movie seemed to play out like a Videogame that's trying to play out like a Movie. I don't like how some of the scenes were shot, just basically, it was very inconsistent.

Also, you appear to be inspired by Speilberg, and that's great. There's nothing wrong with that, however...

It doesn't work. You have nonhuman characters, and it's like a Videogame that's trying to be a movie, or a movie trying to be a videogame, or something of a combination, and it's laughable at times. I'd recommend that you don't mix in shaky shots with tripod/smooth, steady shots. If you want the audience to become immersed in the film, do a long, shaky take during an intense scene, (or battle scene), and follow a character as he struggles.

Okay, I'm sorry, I had to let it out. I may know nothing about filmmaking, but I'm just a bit confused about what you're trying to do with this film, although, I have tremendous respect for you, what you're achieving, and what you have achieved.

- Robert
Robert J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2004, 05:59 AM   #28

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert J. Payne : LOL.

Okay, I'm about to sound like an a-hole, which I seriously am not, but here it goes...

- Robert -->>>

You do not sound like an a-hole.

Thanks for watching!
Old September 10th, 2004, 11:01 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Where did you guys get the uniforms from?
Glen Chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #30

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Chua : Where did you guys get the uniforms from? -->>>

Authentic uniforms provided by WWII re-enactors.
Peter John Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work