Love Story for wedding couple at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old July 19th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Love Story for wedding couple

Hey guys, this is one of my best ones I think I've done so far. Let me know what you think

http://designsbymark.com/samples/luarapeter_web.mov

Sorry for the big file (50meg)
Right-clicking may be the best option.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Mark Monciardini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Mark.

Here's what I like: Some great camera moves. The slow-mos are really clean and I like the vignette that you used in some of the shots. How did you get that shot of the ring? That was smooooth.

Here's what I don't like: Either that couple is completely devoid of personality, or you need to consider changing your shooting/interview style a little. It's fun to have posed shots (sitting on the steps, playing around the tree, etc), but if the couple is not comfortable "acting out" these poses it's going to show all over their faces. And, with this video, it does.

Also, I think the montage at the end was a little much. IMO you spent to much time shooting a music video which tells us nothing about the couple except that maybe they like country music and they are good kissers. Perhaps this time could have been better spent with the couple telling us how they met, how they fell in love, his side of the proposal story, how he asked permission for her hand, what they like to do together, what is her most annoying habit... etc.

Now don't get me wrong. Overall, your production is very clean. But when finished watching the video I had NO idea if the couple were humans or robots. Were they just really uncomfortable or what?

-jes
Jesse Rosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jes,

Thanks for the input. I agree about the music video stuff, I am spending a lot of time working on my shots. Love stories give me time to do that. I have got 100% better by doing it.

Glad to have some constructive feedback on the video, thank you.

Actually the couple was VERY comfortible. The shots were directed and setup by me. When couples get to a Love Story shoot they are frozen, you need to get them to do things.

I agree there should of been more questions and talking. We are working on that. The beginning with the poses is my new little idea, still perfecting it. But they were very comfortible.

The only time I could see when they might of felt wierd is some of the questions we were asking them. We have decided from now on to let them preview the questions before we ask them.

Which ring shot? the first shot or the last one? The last one is sort of a trip becuase the video was reversed.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anyone else? Is it because it's not your "thing". It's ok, the video doesn't bite.
Old July 20th, 2004, 04:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Mark,

Showed your clip to my wife, here are her thoughts:

Hi Mark,

My first reaction when your video started playing was "WOW", this is going to be good. The photography was great, loved the slow transitions and black and white shots. By about the 3rd or 4th minute, I was ready for the buffet dinner at the reception.

All kidding aside, great shots and editing. I would suggest you use still photos of the couple to cover what their talking about. I have to think your couple had pics of their engagement and other events, maybe even home video. Photos are what bring out the emotion.

This may come from my 10 years in news, but I would never give the couple the questions ahead of time. You get great candid answers if it's right off the top of their head. I also like to interview them seperately. This way they tell the story and you can cut and paste their sound bites to complete sentences. Make sure you ask the exact same questions so everything will make sense. It's always funny to hear how each person tells the story.

The funnier the couple, the better the video. Have fun with it, use lots of music. You don't need to use the whole song, even just little parts of it. (just don't get in trouble)

Good Luck!!
Elise (Rob's wife)
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:05 PM   #6
Major Player

I thought it looked pretty good, I was just wondering what camera you used and how you got the audio for the voices?

Thanks for sharing
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Rob, tell your wife I said thank you for the feedback. This was exactly what I was looking for.

I loved her comments because it sounds like we are on the same track. The Photos and interview changes are the 2 things I thought would make it better. Funny I was thinking about that right after I edited the video. At least I know I am thinking in the right direction. I've seen this done before, but I am always trying to be different. Sometimes good to go with what people are used to.

Thanks for mentioning about the Photography, because this is what I am mainly focusing on right now and the encouragement helps. I think most videographers are forgetting about composition and Photography, they grab their cameras and they are what I call a "point and shoot company", which I think is messy.

Best wishes,
Old July 25th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #8

not bad

I thought it was pretty neat, but if possible, I'd maybe try for some different locations? I grew a little tired of the park by the end, and would have liked to see them walking along the lake that you showed at the beginning.

I loved the slow-mo, how did you get it so smooth in FCP?

One last question, how much do you usually charge for a Love story? I've been asked to do one and have no idea (please see my other thread in the wedding section).
Old July 26th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #9
Wrangler

Hey Mark- how are you. I'm about to do my first "engagement video"/ Love Story in October so it was interesting to see your piece. I watched it here at work so keep in mind I don't have a soundcard or speakers so I viewed it silently. I do indeed know how music can drive a piece. Anyway I liked what I saw. Very nice composition and camera movement. The pacing on the first half was a bit slow but picked up in the second half. I liked the soft vignetting, an effect I've always felt added a bit of depth to the imagry. I use quite often myself:
http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...g_Vignette.wmv

The only other aspect that wasn't positive was variety of shots. The setting grew somewhat tiresome and some of the shots were reused more than once. Granted this was shot in a single day at possibly a single location so the lack of variety of settings is completly understandable. I liked the pan/twists (tilting the camera's axis as you pan) I've always been a fan of creative angles and camera movement. It makes shots so much more interesting to me. I also really liked the cu shot of the couple with the sun glare- very cinematic. The ending shot with the couple walking "through" the camera holding hands was nice- I definitly see some Christopher McGuinnes influence though I could be wrong- you might not even know of him. He's one of my favorite wedding videographers and has been an enormous influence in my work.

Anyway looks like your into photoshop as well- that's awesome. I was into graphic design before I got into digital video. We have to chat sometime. Btw, DVinfo just added a Wedding/Event Videography forum. Hope to see you there! Thanks for the post.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It's nice to be surrounded by people that have skills, and not surounded by people that have no skills and say your stuff "looks fantastic" - i.e. The Bride and Groom or family members.

Jeff - Thanks. I used a Panny DVX100 and an Audio Technica Clip on Lav Mic was used.

Peter - Thanks buddy. I add $100 to $150 to the Package if they want a Love Story. Now that might seem like Penuts if you live somewhere else besides SaltLake City. Because here we have Mormons and the cost of living is very low. And also not to mention the competing with other companies. If you are asking because you want to do them, please look around at your competitors prices in your area. Final Cut does the work for me. I just slow the speed down by right-clicking on a clip. I use Frame Blending to get things smoother. But try to avoid it if you can as it will soften the image too much or make it flicker.

Glen - Thanks for the feedback. Most of what you have said is correct. Single day and a lot of run and gun type stuff. When you are not getting paid a whole lot, time is money and I whip these out quickly as possible while still trying to maintain good quality.

Liked your video. Looks like the opening to a wedding. Loved the shot with the trees. The only thing that didn't agree with me was the beginning seemed a bit long. I also think the soft focas thing is getting a bit played out. Many beginners use it like crazy. I used to use it all the time, but it was covering up peoples faces. Not saying you are a beginner at all. But I just think it is being over used too much. Nice work though! What camera are you using?

I have just stopped doing the soft-focas look. I think it was an easy way out of lazy shooting. I've found my self getting more creative with my camera and doing less effects. It's really putting a date-stamp on our videos. Much like the 80's stuff. Many Photographers used the softfocas look like crazy in the late 80's and when you see those photos, you know right off the bat it was taken during that time. I have been trying to follow one of the largest Wedding video companies in the US and they will only use Effects when nessasary. I belive we should all make things more simple and clean, and less flair. My 2 cents.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll head on over to the new forum!
Old July 27th, 2004, 01:38 PM   #11
Wrangler

Glen - Thanks for the feedback. Most of what you have said is correct. Single day and a lot of run and gun type stuff. When you are not getting paid a whole lot, time is money and I whip these out quickly as possible while still trying to maintain good quality.

Liked your video. Looks like the opening to a wedding. Loved the shot with the trees. The only thing that didn't agree with me was the beginning seemed a bit long. I also think the soft focas thing is getting a bit played out. Many beginners use it like crazy. I used to use it all the time, but it was covering up peoples faces. Not saying you are a beginner at all. But I just think it is being over used too much. Nice work though! What camera are you using?

I have just stopped doing the soft-focas look. I think it was an easy way out of lazy shooting. I've found my self getting more creative with my camera and doing less effects. It's really putting a date-stamp on our videos. Much like the 80's stuff. Many Photographers used the softfocas look like crazy in the late 80's and when you see those photos, you know right off the bat it was taken during that time. I have been trying to follow one of the largest Wedding video companies in the US and they will only use Effects when nessasary. I belive we should all make things more simple and clean, and less flair. My 2 cents.

Mark I didn't use soft focus on that clip- just a feathered oval black vignette. The shot that looks mostly like a soft focus was the opening shot of the road- it was incredibly hot and hazy that day, thus the soft focus "look". I did, however, add a light glow filter which enhanced the haze effect.

I'm not big on soft focus either- I usually only employ it when the subject has a bad complexion, or the shots have a inordinant amount of grain.

"I have been trying to follow one of the largest Wedding video companies in the US and they will only use Effects when nessasary. I belive we should all make things more simple and clean, and less flair." BlueCore? Anyway every company is different- everyone has their own style. I don't "follow" any company regardless of it being the biggest or not. Regardless of the fact I have many strong influences I believe it is important to develop your own style. That's what's great about art- it's all interpretation. That said I agree with you that content should drive your work and not special effects. I never use effects unless I feel they can enhance the shots or peice as a collective whole in some way.

Btw it was shot with a PD-170. I used to shoot with a DVX100 as well but traded up for a 170/2100 combo.

Again thanks for the post. I've seen some of your work before- you do great work. Look forward to chatting and possibly echanging work/input.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I agree.

I think BlueCore is just based out of Canada.

Sounds good! What is that music from?
Old July 29th, 2004, 06:22 AM   #13
Major Player

Glen, where did you get the instrumental version of Inama Nushif? Is it on the children of dune soundtrack cd?

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #14
Wrangler

It's called "Reunited" and yes off the same soundtrack. Big fan of Bryan Tyler.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work