Show Your Work 2005 - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old March 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM   #301
Wrangler

Good comments already that I'd agree with, but there aren't many music videos out there that I'd bother to say "that was good."

But I say, "That was good."

If you can do that in one day and not be happy with it, I'm jealous!
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:08 PM   #302
Major Player

Band Teaser Video - Opinions?

I've posted on here for a while, but never shared any of my
videos with you guys because I've never put any of them online.

Then I just remembered today that a promo video I worked
on is on the band's website.

So, if anyone is interested, I'd like to hear what you think.
The idea was to do a very short teaser video for the band's
upcoming album, so it's not a full music video - more of a
trailer (under 2 minutes).

You can check it out here

Go to their video section.
The name of the video is "Making LP5"
(I think that's what they called it).

Hope you enjoy it.

Edited to add:
The website is all Flash, so I'm not sure what the direct link to the video is.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 12:07 AM   #303
Regular Crew

Rob's been a buddy of ours for a long time. It was awesome of him to do it!

Yeah, we shot it on the XL2....we're still figuring it out....still total novices.

Glad you liked it!

-Curtis
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:46 AM   #304
Major Player

Perhaps you could re-edit this into your top post... unless you don't want this information out there.... But here is a direct link to the video.

http://www.lukesfilms.com/Vids/Bad%20connection06.wmv
Right Click - Save Target As.
It uses the same amount of bandwidth, but if you want me to remove the link I will.

I'm about to watch it now...

I actually thought some of the shots were pretty good. Some were bad, yes... the problem I thought with the piece, was the way the video was edited. Too many disolves, and strange cuts. I think a re-cut, removing all stylized cuts, and removing redundant shots of him walking would improve the piece substantially. As it is now, I would give the editing a 2 or 3 out of 10.

But one big problem is... alot of this story is coming from a phone conversation or "story" making it telling, and not really showing. It's like a long voice over that is used to tell a story, rather than the images.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM   #305
Tourist

Thanks,

Yeah, since this was my first time doing interviews I didn't think about the inconsistent lighting being a problem. I tried out a few things and some worked, most didn't. Luckily no one but me knows what those things were. :)

Live and learn, and I learned a whole lot on this project. But I'm really glad the message was communicated.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:31 PM   #306
Major Player

Luis

I really liked this; I used to play guitar in a band (for about 5 minutes of my life) and always appreciate the footage during rehearsal and recording. This looked great with wonderful coloring and the blow-outs on the windows work very well. The editing is tight and your choice of framing is spot on.

One part I didnt like? The black and white. Usualyl not a fan of Black and White as it is; but this element removed me from the piece.

Great work. You should share more often!
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:48 PM   #307
Major Player

Looked well done. What was this video made for?

I recognized one of those songs, skillet perhaps?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:51 PM   #308
Major Player

Really cool little video.

I especially liked the first 5 seconds. Had a very 'teaser-ish' feel to it.

Good Job!
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:24 PM   #309
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback.
i'm glad to hear you enjoyed the opening, as that was fully my creation. It orginally had a bit longer of an opening, but we were asked to cut it down a bit. The rest of the piece was cut together with a friend of mine (the one who did most of the shooting by the way John, so I can't take credit for his shots).

The black and white footage came from little security cameras we used. I have to say that agree with John that it wasn't the strongest choice.

The piece plays much better if you could see it off DVD instead of the web (but isn't that always the case?). It's a mixture of 35mm, DV/24P & 60i, and low res security footage. Sort of loses the effect watching a quicktime.

I shot all the DVX footage, and my friend shot all the 35 footage.

Thanks for checking it out.
I appreciate it.

The best compliment I've gotten on this was from a fan message board for the band... someone said that if the new album was anything like the video then it "was sure to rock!"
:)

It's always good when you see that something you made actually served it's purpose.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:57 PM   #310
New Boot

Thanks for everyone's comments, we will learn a lot from these! The short was shot on a cheap handheld Mini DV cam. We have since got our baby, the XL2! We are currently in pre-production of a feature, called 70's Cop - go for the gold. It will be an interesting experience for MJdoubleD!
Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:47 PM   #311
Tourist

The video is for an organization called Joels Place. You can check their website.

www.joelsplace.org

Thanks for the comments.
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:27 AM   #312
Inner Circle

I think it's a good, solid music video. For a second effort, I think it's extremely well done.

Content:
I liked a lot of the shots and the story-line. I wouldn't like to see less band, but that's a personal preference.

The stock footage shots didn't fit in I feel.

Lighting:
I liked the silhoutte shot of the singer, the dark shots, the stop motion shot. I dig stylized lighting so I liked a lot of the dark shots.

The group band shots didn't really do much for me. I don't think I like the hotspot reflections you can see. Maybe try lighting the band like there's moonlight coming through the window, and/or backlighting them or doing high-contrast lighting where they're lit from one side with strong hard light or light them like they're standing directly under spotlights, or use barndoors and use light slashes to light them.

I didn't find the video too dark

2- I'd like to see your third video!
Old March 23rd, 2005, 08:03 AM   #313
Regular Crew

Click Open, then when the pop up appears cright click Launch and save as.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #314
Tourist

"The Assignment" Teaser

Check out www.drvproductions.com/theassignmentmovie.html Like to hear some opinions.

Thanks
Old March 24th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #315
New Boot

Very nice................held my interest..........

good use of the "what you don't see is creepier than what you do see" concept.

great soundtrack...........

the only thing I would change is the establishing shot of the location needs to look a bit more spooky................seemed a bit out of context with the nice interiors.........

kaos
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work