Show Your Work 2005 - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #346
New Boot

Video for a 48 hour filmfest thing.

Hey guys, My friend Dane(the director) called me up and asked if I would help his team for a film festival thing called "48 hours of Madness"
http://www.bestfestsandiego.com/48Hours.html It was pretty intense and we had to turn this script into something somewhat intelligable, shoot and edit it in 48 hours.

I guess you could say I was the cameraman/cinematographer or dp or whatever for the shoot since I brought my equipment and composed and shot all the shots and told people where to put lights and stuff. Then we edited it, naturally it ran at 7 or 8 minutes, but we had to cut it down to 5. Oh and my friend jon rushed to my friend dave's house two hours before it was due and recorded the music for it in 15 minutes then we ran back to put it into the video. It was fun and a rush, it was a great experience working with so many agreeable people, this is what we came up with. Let me know what you think.

http://www.petemurph.com/REbirth.mov

Sorry for the rant.
Thanks,
Peter
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #347
Regular Crew

cool, I liked the part with the girl looking at herself in the end and the many fast zoom ins and zoom outs!
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #348
Major Player

Enjoyed the movie - Had a nice flow to it and is even that much better if you realize it was done in only 48hours.

I wish one of these 48hour contests would come close to me.

Anyways, Good Work!
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #349
Trustee

Well there is something similar here online being run here by Dylan Couper. It's one week to make a film. You're given a Theme, and movie has to be less than 3 minutes.

Better be quick cause it starts this Friday ;)

Aaron
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #350
Major Player

Looks good.

Nice to see how even the Xl1 holds up to this sort of shooting style.
Old April 5th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #351
New Boot

Thanks for all the feedback! I really appreciate it. Sorry for the delay in posting this, I've been busy looking for work which seems to have consumed most of my time.

Brandon,
I shot the video with a Canon GL-2 and edited with FCP HD with a mix of different plug-ins. The lighting was actually 500 watt halogen worklamps, practicals with higher wattage bulbs, and a 18" "china ball". It was an impromptu lighting kit due to the loss of the one we were going to use.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #352
New Boot

Music Video #2

Since I posted the second music video I did (the other music video thread I started), I thought I'd post the first one I did for critique as well. This one was done for $10, even less than the other one. Anyway, I'm open to any and all critiques, so let me know what you think.

For Quicktime www.smrrecords.com/sweett/sweettmv.mov

Thanks...
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #353
Tourist

wow

The lighting could definitely be better, but the editing was just plain great. You have a real eye for it.
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #354
Wrangler

This is our version of the 48 hour concept:

www.instantfilms.tv

A number of familiar faces from TV shows and movies involved. I'm proud to see Jenna Fischer, who has participated in several of our festivals including the film I made for our 9th festival called "Girl's Guide to Summer, is now the female lead of the NBC series "The Office".
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #355
Regular Crew

thanks...

thanks for the feedback, yea i agree the lighting was messed up. the whole vid had a 0$ budget though, so best we could do at the time.
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #356
Major Player

New Member - Music & Motocross Video

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and wanted to share some of my video.

The first is a music video in it's rough, I'm in the process of going back through all of the clips and re-edit, clean it up. This was for a local R&B artist Jay Storm, great guy and very professional to work with. It was shot with our GL2, the editing is Premiere / AfterEffects, and background animations are 3D Studio MAX. This was my first attempt at a music video, I shot/edited/animated everything. Jay Storm wrote and produced the music, co-directed video and sat in while editing.

Intro - 640x480 http://www.danielpatton.com/dv/IntroMicAnimation.wmv
Music Video - 320x240 http://www.danielpatton.com/dv/MusicVideo_JayStorm.wmv

The second is footage shot with an XL1S using an XL2 lens, from a motocross at Muddy Creek Raceway. The audio (temporary) was a good fit and was close in timing to the actual audio that is going to replace it. A friend of mine is a musician/audio engineer and wanted to do the soundtrack for this edit, I'll repost again later with his audio. This is just stock footage for us, the video was edited for fun and is not for profit… disclaimer is due to audio.

http://www.danielpatton.com/dv/Muddy...ersion-360.wmv

Hope you enjoy them!
RED ONE #977
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #357
Regular Crew

Question for Exhibition Copy

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but it seemed to be. Please move it if you disagree.

One film festival wants a copy of our work to exhibit.

They'll take - aside from 35mm - BetaSP, VHS or DVD - all NTSC.

The film was shot in mini DVCAM, edited in FCP, and I'm generally sending out DVDs for screening copies which look pretty good.

I made a dub straight from the computer to a large sized DVCAM tape and have been using this to dub to VHS when needed.

I just sent this tape out to make a BetaSP copy for another festival. I can't view the quality of this BetaSP tape.

Anyway, my question is this: will a dub made onto BetaSP look much better than a dub to VHS - both coming from the same source tape?

VHS would be much cheaper, but I would rather it look good.

And if BetaSP does look much better in this situation, does anyone know of a good cheap place to get dubs made?

Thanks.

Paul
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #358
New Boot

thanks brandon, I hope to have more to projects to show you guys soon.

peter
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:46 AM   #359
Major Player

"I made a dub straight from the computer to a large sized DVCAM tape and have been using this to dub to VHS when needed."

Please expand on this a little more?
RED ONE #977
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #360
Inner Circle

Paul,

The dub from DV cam to Beta SP will definately look better than the VHS dubs, and probably a little better than the DVD screeners.

Don't live in NY, so I can't tell you who the cheap production houses are.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work