Show Your Work 2005 - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old April 7th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #361
Regular Crew

Thanks Richard.

I realized I hadn't even been considering the DVDs as an option, even though they're listed.

I guess I have time to think about it, at least a month or so.

I could rent a BetaSP deck for a day and buy a few tapes, but that's money, too.

Ugh.
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #362
Trustee

How to share work using P2P technology?

Does anyone know what the last word on online video distribution is? Supposing I wanted to share a video here, and I did not have sufficient Web space, what should I do? Has anyone used popcast.com?
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #363
Major Player

I would be willing to host it for you if you are asking for it? Couldn't quite understand your question.
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #364
Trustee

Let me try again. I want to share video files but I have neither the space nor the bandwidth. I presume there are many people in my predicament. Is there a free swarming solution, like Bittorrent, that is tailored to video?
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #365
Tourist

Great job on your first video. You obviously have a firm grasp of composition. It all has a very professional "look" to it. I loved the running story behind Jay on the TV behind him.

I have a few comments:
What happened to the image of Jay on the Close up when he's singing into the camera. The left 1/4 of the screen was chopped off black. It's a little jarring.
The shot of Jay tossing in bed at night didn't fit as well into the look of the rest of the production. Different lighting?
There was a shot where I thought Jay was going to beat up the girl (he was standing outside of her car and lunged at her!) I was happy to see he didn't!

These are two minor adjustments/edits that'll calm the viewer and help the story come out more.

Great job!
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #366
Major Player

Not really. I guess the closest thing would be the different film sites.

You can try releasing videos via the p2p infrastructure and I have done so myself a couple of times on the gnutella network - however distribution probably took about 4-5months to get a decent source rate.

Other than that you should probably look at just buying into a web hosting plan. They have rates with several hundred megabytes and 10gigs of transfer for not much more tha $12 a month out there.

And again if this is just a one off thing I would be willing to host it for you.
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #367
Trustee

Thank you very much, Brandon. I wanted to share my next short with the community to get critiques. I will knock on your door when the time comes.
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #368
Major Player

Emre,
This site:
http://rapidshare.de/ will host your clips up to 30M for free. All you have to do is upload them and post the link. I hope this helps.
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #369
Trustee

Soul Searcher trailer

Just to let you guys know that the final version of the Soul Searcher trailer is online at http://www.soulsearchermovie.com

I worked on this as the fight choreographer and did loads of Glidecam 2000 work on it. Most of the film is shot on a Canon XL1s.

I saw the final version of the film the other week at the Borderlines Film Festival in Hereford and I have to say that it is amazing. It really seems like a big film, helped in no small part by Neils lighting as well as the fact he hired a composer and a full 60 piece symphony orchestra for the original musical score!

This is one DV movie that will go places!
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #370
Major Player

Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback/comments! I agree 100%.

The part where it is clipped on the left... It's a horrid shot and was shifted to the right to save the clip, hiding stuff on the right side. I have not decided what to do with that one, I think it's going to be edited out. It was NOT a planned shot, it started raining hard one day, we tried it, it blew.

The other clip with Jay tossing and turning is another horrid shot. Waaaay too much contrast. It's funny how you picked the two clips that I myself hate the most. That's a good thing I guess, it gives me more reason to yank them or spend the time and do them over again. I can suffer through the others, but those two are without proper lighting or setup, they look bad.

HAha! :) Jay actually lunged at the car door, not at her. He is such a mellow dude, he had to work at being angry for the sake of the shot. Maybe I better take a hard look at that area again regardless. We tried to show enough contrast with the two of them getting along as well as arguing, etc.. I'm open to any ideas for improving on this.

Worth mentioning, this was a low or no budget video. We have the hardware and applications, so the only cost was time. In the process we learned a lot, but In truth if I had the time I would re-shoot all of it and edit again.
RED ONE #977
Old April 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #371
Major Player

Four Eyed Monsters NEW YORK CITY PREMIERE Today @ the 2005 Gen Art Film Festival

FOUR EYED MONSTERS OFFICIAL NEW YORK CITY PREMIERE TOMORROW @ THE 2005 GEN ART FILM FESTIVAL!

Tomorrow, Sunday April 10, Four Eyed Monsters makes its Official New York City Premiere at the 2005 Gen Art Film Festival.

Four Eyed Monsters made its world premiere as an Official Narrative Feature Selection in competition at the 2005 Slamdance Film Festivall in January. The film then went on to screen as an Official Selection at the
2005 SXSW Film Festival
in Austin last month. Having just finished two back to back regional premieres, Four Eyed Monsters is finally coming home to the Big Apple for two days of screenings!

Synopsis:

I want a relationship but I don't want a relationship, I don't want to be mediocre, I want the world to excite me, I hate the word soul mate, I want someone but I don't want a struggle, I want to be okay if I'm alone, I want to not have to want, I want to be able to quit if we get too close, is it okay if we just think about it as a collaboration and nothing more, can you please just talk to me. I'm looking for someone who is looking for the same.

"FOUR AND A HALF STARS!" - Film Threat

"Four Eyed Monsters is an uber-modern romance story that's powered with raw honesty and coated with wild imagination that creates a kind of fairy tale world... this movie is going to touch you in ways that’ll make you blush and laugh out loud... In the realm of modern romantic movies, this one hits all the right spots and it makes it hurt so good." - Eric Campos filmthreat.com

Shot with the Panasonic DVX100 with anamorphic lens and DVX100A, in 24P Advanced pulldown. The film is a unique blending of DV, animation, documentary, and narrative.

Gen Art Schedule:

On Sunday, April 10th Writer/Directors Susan Buice & Arin Crumley will be on a Panel Discussion @ Clearview West Cinemas starting at 4:00 pm.

The Official Premiere Screening will begin at 7:30 pm. Screening @ Clearview West Cinemas 333 W. 23rd (btw 8th & 9th)

Following the screening there will be an after party @ Cotton starting at 10:00 pm 105 West 27th St. (btw 6th and 7th ave)

If you can't make it to the premiere on Sunday (or just loved the movie so much, you have to see it again), you can catch an Encore screening Monday April 11th at 5:00 pm @ Clearview West Cinemas.

You can buy tickets online at the Gen Art website or call 212-255-7300. The 20% discount code is: FCL05
Old April 10th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #372
New Boot

Niiice! The story sounds really entertaining. Checked out the trailer as well, nice images. Is this a feature length movie or a short?
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #373
Trustee

Hi Pasi,

The movie is feature length. It is currently seeking distribution although it will be showing at a few film festivals as well as being shown around Cannes (though unfortunately it was rejected being officially shown).

I think I can safely say that Neil has taken the XL1 DV feature movie to it's absolute limit in terms of scale. Its an amazing effect when you watch the movie itself. It just seems like a real film! The music really goes a long way to helping the effect.

The movie took a huge amount of organising, so my hat really goes off to Neil. I think he will become known as the Peter Jackson of the UK!
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #374
Inner Circle

Great to see all that enthousiasm and passion in a project!
I wish you guys the most of luck!
Old April 10th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #375
Inner Circle

putfile.com - will host your video for free I believe.

zed.cbc.ca - will also host your video. It's a TV channel. I think by uploading there they have the right to show your video on the Zed CBC show. They may take your clip down if it runs into copyright restrictions.

yousendit.com is good for sending clips where you'd normally use email.

Bittorrent is probably what you want if you want a P2P solution. You need to figure out how to put your video on a tracker, which shouldn't be too hard.

You can also get a website. Dreamhost.com has a promo going on for 120GB/month for $10/month (pay for 1 year). With promo code 777 it's $10USD for the first year including domain registration (you may want to transfer that away to namecheap.com if you want control over your domain). They are overselling and won't make a profit if you use 5GB/month, but nonetheless they should honor their deal as long as you don't violate their terms of service.

You should throttle the bandwidth to 100GB, as going over costs $1/GB.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work