Show Your Work 2005 - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old June 7th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #526
Major Player

promo video for book

Okay, this is my first promo video I've done. So it was kind of a new thing for me. I am experienced with dv production so it wasn't any kind of technical challenge, but a challenge of portraying the client. I guess thats as much as I need to say. This is a rough cut without any titles, contact info, or music. I plan on adding some graphics and text, etc. Let me know what you think of this barebones rough edit and if any changes could/should be made.

Shot in 3hrs, edited with color corrections in 3hrs.
www.rch-e.com/temp/BobPerry.wmv 11MB

Equipment used:
Panasonic DVC80
Audio Technica wireless mics
Homemade dolly
homemade lightkit
Premiere Pro
After Effects

Thanks for looking!
Old June 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #527
Major Player

That's looks very good. I wish you had posted some photos of the gear on-site you worked with.

Did you use rails or just a dolly?
Old June 7th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #528
Regular Crew

I made a boo-boo and did a cross post....

my bad...

refer to:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45804
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #529
Major Player

"Slutty Summer" opens theatrically in NY this Friday!

NEW YORK, NY - June 7, 2005 - Casper Andreas’ award-winning, gay romantic comedy, SLUTTY SUMMER, opens theatrically in New York at Cinema Village this Friday June 10th.

After a very successful festival run with sold-out screenings all over the world, SLUTTY SUMMER (US, 2004, 85 minutes) is receiving a limited theatrical run in the US. Following it's New York opening, the film premieres in LA at Fairfax Cinema on June 24th, with other cities to follow...

Executive Produced by Runar Petursson, and shot by Award Winning Cinematographer Jon Fordham, SLUTTY SUMMER -- that Genre Magazine calls both sexy and sweet -- is the story of young writer Markus (Andreas), who returns home to find his boyfriend with another man. Newly single, he begins waiting tables at a Chelsea restaurant where the indelible supporting cast of co-workers offers conflicting directions on the off-road map to love in New York City.

SLUTTY SUMMER will also be screening at the New Orleans Gay and Lesbian Film Festival on June 12. Upcoming international screenings in the summer of 2005 include New Zealand and Tokyo.

A native of Sweden, Casper Andreas lives in New York where he has worked as an actor for many years. SLUTTY SUMMER is his first effort as director and screenwriter and the first film to be released in theaters by his independent film company Embrem Entertainment. TLA Releasing has acquired home entertainment rights and will distribute the film on DVD/VHS in the end of 2005 in the U.S. and Canada. SLUTTY SUMMER also stars Jesse Archer, Jamie Hatchett, Jeffrey Christopher Todd, Virginia Bryan and Lance Werth.

Please come out and support us and please tell all your friends to do the same! Casper plans to be at all of the screenings opening weekend to do a short Q & A together with various cast and crew members. I will be answering questions regarding the cinematography at the Friday evening screening.

Please visit the official movie website at www.sluttysummer.com for more information about the film -- including Cast & Crew interviews, bios, soundtrack info -- and much more!

To purchase tickets please visit Cinema Village online at www.cinemavillage.com.
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #530
Major Player

loved it! Only tech comment is audio levels are inconsistant - But funny as hell, great characters and good videography!
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #531
Trustee

I think it looks very professional. I was going to say something about graphics and titles etc. but noticed you posted the fact already. Very nice. The portrayal is pretty direct.
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:57 PM   #532
Trustee

Very unique. Everyone is doing fighting scenes in some form or fashion these days, so I wasn't expecting anything cutting edge. It was cut pretty well. The portion with the single bright light in the background was cool. Consider speeding up the scenes a hair to add a little more realism. Some of the choreography could use a little touching up. You could move slower and then speed up the film, that usually adds a nice effect. Good job overall!
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #533
Regular Crew

I think it looks great. Some shadows cast on back wall, but VERY professional looking.

I am curious...you mentioned you used After Effects on this. What did you use it for?
Old June 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM   #534
Major Player

Riley,

Good job overall. I think the images are nice and the tone is warm and fitting for the subject matter. I really like it, and think it will be effective. Given the amount of time you spent on it especially, I am very impressed. I do have some specific feedback on making it better (or the next one).

- The camera movements are a bit distracting to me. He is talking about being centered, yet our view of him is constantly shifting. It's not at all fatal, but I don't think it helps. I don't like the low-angle opener especially.

- I know this is the rough cut, but some of the cuts are jarring to me also. I am expecting him to get more out in one view than he does... the cuts seem mid-sentence, even though they aren't. Again, stability is the topic.

- I really like the B-roll shots of him outdoors, and the book close-up. If you have any extra budget (who does, right?) I think it would help a lot to have more of that. Maybe not just him, but other people in the workplace or church or something. Ultimately the book is about people, not about him, so I think it would help to see more of them. Do you have any shots of him talking to groups?

- The framing of the shots also throws me off a bit. The second shot zoom in is a perfect example. Where you land with the camera frames him to the left and looking slightly off screen. This gives a sense of uncertainty - like he's leaving the frame. If he were facing slightly the other way - in to the frame - it gives a stronger sense of security. I'm guessing you were framing it to have him next to the flag - which is nice - but it also looks a little like he is putting his back to it. The stark lighting contributes to that.

Again - good job. I would only take the time for this type of specific feedback for something (or someone) that I think shows a lot of promise.

Let us know how it turns out in the end.
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #535
Major Player

I agree with marcos comments. Good stuff. There are a few shots where your jib arm is in the background, and while the average person might not notice...people on this board see that thing from a mile away.

The shot at 2:25 is beautiful. It reminds alot of the stuff coming out of Hong Kong these days from some of the best directors.
Old June 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #536
Major Player

Watch The First 30 Mins Of My Movie Online!

www.rapquestthemovie.com

The entire movie can be ordered from that link as well. I even gave a shot out to Dvinfo.net at the end! (albeit, at the end of the full version.)

Thanks everyone! And if you enjoy the 30 minute preview, pass it on to someone else! (I need all the exposure I can get!)
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #537
Major Player

If anyone is having problems with this link, please let me know. Thanks.
Old June 18th, 2005, 01:41 AM   #538
Regular Crew

I'm watching it now. Cinematography looks very nice.

Just curious, what camera did you shoot it with?
Old June 18th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #539
Major Player

Thanks for watching it. The DVX100A was the camera I used. I'm no DP, though.
Old June 21st, 2005, 05:56 AM   #540
Regular Crew

New link (the old one is defunct):

http://zirk.brickfilms.com/SAFinalWeb.mov

-j
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work