Show Your Work 2005 - Page 42 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Closed Thread

Old July 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #616
Major Player

The acting IS nice. Couple of scenes where things seemed a bit dark, but that may be the compresion.
good work.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #617
New Boot

The Gossiper - a Quicktime short

http://www.undergroundfilm.org/films...cl?wid=1017865

What is crappy about it? What do you like about it?

Does the discoloration in the middle accent the snippet where she takes out some condoms?

For your destructive or constructive criticism

THE GOSSIPER

http://www.undergroundfilm.org/films...cl?wid=1017865
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #618
Major Player

You could have add a more dynamic shot flow, but it's not bad.

I thought the chic was really hot, but you could have done a bit more with the story. From what I understand you're calling her an hypocrit? Maybe you could have added some jokes or irony.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:59 PM   #619
Major Player

I tried to find the short, but the only content on the site seemed to be a teaser ... one of the cast performing a solo bit suggesting a rising action to follow ...

Painful anticipation of the camera to move.

Where's the movie?
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #620
New Boot

Quote:
You could have add a more dynamic shot flow, but it's not bad.

I thought the chic was really hot, but you could have done a bit more with the story. From what I understand you're calling her an hypocrit? Maybe you could have added some jokes or irony.
I didn't have a dolly or a crane so I had the DP keep it more or less static.
Yes, she is a hypocrite.
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #621
Regular Crew

What language was that?! And i could swear to god that I heard some english in there too.
Old July 30th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #622
New Boot

colloquial Cebuano. That's why there was some English.

In the Philippines we're more literate than anyone in Asia. Although we also have "accent". when we speak.

It's a great Foreign film isn't it? :-b

LMAO!
Old July 31st, 2005, 12:16 AM   #623
Regular Crew

Scene filmed at night in a car

I have been working with a friend this summer on a small video project. We are making several short scenes that will eventually comprise a "teen drama" type series. We just finished up a scene recently which posed some significant challenges on our VERY limited budget.

The scene was shot at night inside of a car parked in a driveway. We lit the entire scene with only 4 cheap work-lights and the available light outside of the house we filmed at. I was impressed with the results when I got to the editing. It increased my confidence in my XL2's low-light capabilities. Let me know what you think.

http://www.sweepinghalo.com/theford/scene1.mov
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:17 AM   #624
Major Player

America 24/7 DVD?

I think they should make an America 24/7 DVD like the books only moving images. Ask videographers from all around to submit dv tapes, beta, etc etc to be used in an edit showing america!

What do you think?

I just sent them an email.
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:37 PM   #625

That would be an awful lot of video to wade through, and I'd bet the vast majority would be pretty bad, to boot.

It would have to be by invitation only to those videographers who you knew would provide only top quality footage.

Jay
Old July 31st, 2005, 05:39 PM   #626

Considering what you had to work with, I'd say it turned out pretty well.

Jay
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:12 PM   #627
New Boot

Pretty Good

The only thing I didn't really like is when you cut to the back of there heads. Didn't really seem like it added much. Also you can see the two lights you had shining into the car in the rear view mirror. Did you get the shots by just rolling down the window and shooting like that? Acting was pretty good to.
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:10 PM   #628
Regular Crew

I thought it looked very good for the limitations.

DV cams bring a whole new meaning to "being afraid of the dark".

I'm horrified.
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:47 PM   #629
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Courtnage
The only thing I didn't really like is when you cut to the back of there heads. Didn't really seem like it added much. Also you can see the two lights you had shining into the car in the rear view mirror. Did you get the shots by just rolling down the window and shooting like that? Acting was pretty good to.
The edits aren't final, and there are a couple of things I'd still like to fix (that being one of them). I liked the angle from the back seats a lot, but I may find that there's no place to work it into the scene. Oh well, can't always include everything.

Those lights you see in the rear view mirror are actually the interior lights from the car. We had them turned on to fill in the interior a little more (in addition to the blue-gelled light coming in through the sunroof). I guess I missed those when I framed up the shot. But then again, if I remove that angle all together, it won't be a problem.

And yes, all those two shots were done by just rolling down the windows and shoving the camera as close to the side mirrors as possible. I was dying for a wide-angle lens to make a lot of my shooting easier, but you can't always get what everything you want. ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:57 PM   #630
Major Player

Can't see the forest for the fees.

I was in the Uintas this past weekend doing a little climbing. While there, I couldn't help but notice how the forest service is now charging for just about everything. Parking, fishing, hiking, breathing. And they put a time limit on it too.

In the midst of my observations, I overlooked one of their fees and got slapped with a $50 fine, which inspired this video. Vid is 2 minutes-5mb and safe for work, unless you work for the Forest Service.:wink:

Forest Service Fee Demo Program Video
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work